Ensenada wine tour?

yogini2

Hello everyone -

Taking a last minute cruise on Carnival next week. I'm wondering if it is safe/wise/possible to do a wine tasting excursion when we get to post and not prebook with Carnival?

Any other ideas for a great excursion for a mom and three adult (20's) children also appreciated.

Thanks!

The wine tour can be booked at the info booth at the far end of Big Head Plaza, across from McDonalds.

The ship tour includes some food, 'free' tastings and a bottle of wine. The other ones might or might not include these.

Thanks for the reply, Sadie :). The ship tour is more expensive, but the local tour states entrance fees to the wineries and tasting fees are additional (?) plus no mention of free bottle of wine per person. Maybe I'll go with the ship tour.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We've done the Baja cruise SEVERAL times...and most times, of late, we've done a winery tour--through the cruise line...

In fact, we just took one four weeks ago while on the Golden Princess...

It is a great way to spend the day in Ensenada...

I would definitely book it through the ship...

First of all, these are not very expensive--Ours, on Princess, was $49 per person...included two wineries--Dona Lupe and LA Cetto...and included a free boottle of wine per person from LA Cetto...Also, in addition to the wine tasting, samples of Pizza, bread, jellies, jams and olive oils at Don Lupe and bread, cheese and olive oil at LA Cetto...

Why do it through the ship? Because they will pick you up and drop you off AT THE SHIP (though they will also drop you off in town if you ask...and you can walk back to the ship)...And, remember, this is Mexico...although fairly safe, IMHO, I prefer the security of not wandering off on my own...especially leaving the downtown area...Plus, in case of any problems...or liability/insurance issues, etc., the cruise line stands somewhat behind it...

Have fun...

Bruin Steve is 100% correct, but those on a ship's tours won't see the view of the Valle from Monte Xanic, enjoy Troika's lechon wiith a cold beer, herar Eva Cordero's story of 3 Mujeres, or joke around with Leda Gamboa at the Adobe Food Truck..........

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

We got back from the cruise Dec. 26 and still in adjusting-to-real-life-mode.

We decided to go with a tour outfit called Shore Excursioneer having read good reviews. We had booked a wine tasting tour for LA Cetto and Dona Lupe on Christmas Eve. We walked a few blocks from the ship to meet our driver, Sergio, who was very friendly. We had a private taxi first to LA Cetto with a beautiful drive through the vineyards.

When we got to LA Cetto we had a disappointing surprise - there were no more English tours that day because they were closing early for Christmas Eve :(. Sergio was pretty mortified, and offered to take us to a 3rd winery after Dona Lupe at no extra cost, which we gladly accepted. We did the tasting only at LA Cetto. I should have bought a couple of bottles in retrospect as the wine was quite good and reasonably priced.

Next we went to Dona Lupe and had a great time there. The jams/spreads tasting was fun and although we were only supposed to have 4 tastings, the jovial fellow just kept pouring for us - I think my sons had about 10 tastings each. We stayed there a long time just enjoying the nice weather and atmosphere.

The 3rd winery was El Cielo, a new very upscale winery. We did have to pay $12 pp there to go on a tour of the wine cellar/production area and do the basic level tasting, but since our tour was only $19 pp to start plus only about $4 pp tasting fee at the other two wineries, we thought it was worth it. (Current excursion fee via Carnival is $59 pp).

This is a very beautiful winery, inside and out. (beautiful panoramic view). The tasting was done down in the wine cellar and the wines were exquisite (and pretty pricey as well). My kids bought me a bottle of Chardonnay for Christmas.

So while we missed out on the LA Cello tour, I think we got our money's worth and a personal guide (although Sergio wasn't very chatty about the area/history, etc.). Also we got more individual attention with the personal tastings at each winery.

Thanks again everyone, and Happy New Year!

Two Winery tour is $49.99 online and was on our cruise midDecember.

If you do go back to Ensenada the supermarkets carry LA Cetto wines.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...

My sisters & I went on this tour last week. We had a great time. The guides were awesome. We even got to meet Dona Lupe in person. What a sweet lady. We booked the tour through Carnival & it was $49 each. I highly recommend this tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm looking into doing this tour in January through Carnival, and I'm wondering if you're taken out to the same area of the countryside where you go for the Cheese Cellar Tour? We did that last year and really enjoyed it. Just wondering if it's more or less the same drive, does anyone know? Thanks!

My current favorites are:

1) Los Nubes - for the view of the whole valley

2) Monte Xanic - for the picnics by the lake

3) El Cielo - for style and great concerts - albeit expensive.

Note that I am note a wine expert, so for that you'll need someone else. However, you really can't go wrong as the whole valley makes for a great day of touring.

For a cruise ship visit, I would try and get a private car or van tour to get more of an overall feel for the valley. I am sure you can find someone safe and reliable with a good reputation.