Air Conditioning on the Caribbean Princess?

nycruiser2006

:confused: I am a bit concerened about air conditioning issues reported on some of the Caribbean reviews. We are book in Baja 251 for Nov 17 cruise. Anyone have any recent experiences with with forward cabins and their conditioining? DH likes the room COLD!!!

We find the AC in the rooms works to well when at sea and not well in port.

If it is a balcony you can leave the door partly open at night.

:confused: I am a bit concerened about air conditioning issues reported on some of the Caribbean reviews. We are book in Baja 251 for Nov 17 cruise. Anyone have any recent experiences with with forward cabins and their conditioining? DH likes the room COLD!!!

We were on the CB in June and July; B2B. First cruise aft and second cruise midship. Both on Riviera. First was OV; second was balcony. I like cold too and A/C was just fine.

I was on the Caribbean Princess back in July and had maintenance in the room three times looking at the AC. The room never got really cold like other Princess Ship's.

Probably because someone left there balcony door open. Main reason little signs instruct you to keep door CLOSED.IMO

If it is a balcony you can leave the door partly open at night.
Err... guess you didn't see the sign on every Princess balcony door:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347138575.439146.jpg.0867d210704d76fb2c1415689748a5e9.jpg

Cabins are kept at a slight negative atmosphere in order to facilitate air exchange. This is the source of the whistling you sometimes hear when the door is open: the air system is sucking in the air. Keeping your balcony door open screws up the A/C for not just your cabin but those around you. If you keep your door open, the people next door will have an A/C problem. If you have an A/C problem, it could be as simple as your neighbor ignoring the sign and keeping their door open.

Several things affect temperatures in your cabin. One is sunlight and the other is outside air temperature so it's best to close your balcony drapes if you are not in your cabin on a hot, sunny, humid day. Draw them partially closed if you are in the cabin and it will help. The best A/C in the world has a hard time cooling off extremely hot temperatures or direct sunlight.

Comfortable room temperature is very subjective. Some people want the A/C to cool the room to 65-degrees, some are fine with 75-degrees (I set my A/C to 77 at home.) It's a lot harder to keep the first group of passengers happy.

As long as you don't keep your balcony door open, keep your drapes closed or partially closed, and are reasonable with your expectations, you should be comfortable.

We did the British Isles in July. It seems silly but, while in port, the cabins were hot. Once underway, the AC was very good and we had to turn it down. It was like being in a car with the engine off. Once it starts, it cools off quickly.

I've been on the CB twice, most recently in May on a British Isles cruise. Found my midship cabin to be perfectly comfortable for the entire cruise even though we were having very hot weather at the end of the cruise.

When cruising in the Caribbean, I came prepared. I had read about the a/c not working well, so every time our balcony was facing the sun, I closed BOTH sets of drapes all the way. My husband wasn't thrilled about the room being so dark, but we were rarely in it during the day anyway. Closing the drapes, combined with setting the cabin at almost the lowest position and keeping it there, kept our cabin very, very cool the entire time.

Talking about air, I must mention this. We got off the Carnival Imagination yesterday. Four day cruise on an old ship. That A/C in our cabin darn near froze us out. It was like an igloo. I did keep our drapes open during the day and even after a hot hot hot day in Cozumel, the room was nice and cool.

we like a cold room. As far as leaving the balcany door open~I have read enough on CC to know it has a reverse effect on your room and surrrounding rooms. I will take the advice and keep the curtians closed when the sun is facing us. same thing we do in Vegas to keep the room temp down

I hate to be cold...it's misery. My DH and I took our two boys on a cruise last month on the Carnival Miracle. We asked for extra comforters, we snuggled as if we were were camping in Antarctica, and finally, we stuffed towels up into one of the air-conditioning vents to block the frigid air mercilessly blasting in on us, and that brought the temp up to a somewhat tolerable 75ish degrees in our aft vista suite and adjoining extended aft. I removed them the morning we disembarked.

I was told by an engineer that the ship is kept at 72 degrees (it was a little cooler than that in our cabin, so much for individual climate control)....it was often much cooler than that all over the ship, and anyway, 72 F is way too cold for the likes of me!

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess next month. I'll be the tall lady enveloped in various cashmere wraps begging to be seated in the warmest spot in the restaurants....:o

Talking about air, I must mention this. We got off the Carnival Imagination yesterday. Four day cruise on an old ship. That A/C in our cabin darn near froze us out. It was like an igloo. I did keep our drapes open during the day and even after a hot hot hot day in Cozumel, the room was nice and cool.

:eek::eek::eek:

I hate to be cold...it's misery. My DH and I took our two boys on a cruise last month on the Carnival Miracle. We asked for extra comforters, we snuggled as if we were were camping in Antarctica, and finally, we stuffed towels up into one of the air-conditioning vents to block the frigid air mercilessly blasting in on us, and that brought the temp up to a somewhat tolerable 75ish degrees in our aft vista suite and adjoining extended aft. I removed them the morning we disembarked.

I was told by an engineer that the ship is kept at 72 degrees (it was a little cooler than that in our cabin, so much for individual climate control)....it was often much cooler than that all over the ship, and anyway, 72 F is way too cold for the likes of me!

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess next month. I'll be the tall lady enveloped in various cashmere wraps begging to be seated in the warmest spot in the restaurants....:o

I'm sailing with you on the CB, and staying on for the next one. I sure hope the AC is such a non-issue that we don't even realize it's there! I'm with you on hating it too cold.

By the way, I don't recall seeing you on the roll call for the 10/27 cruise. Come on over, it's an amazing and active group.

Maureen

Dear jrzebird / Maureen,

May your B2B be well calm seas and fun.

We Garden Stater's do know how to cruise well in the swells.

One thing I did not see the Ship does have elec space heaters which may be requested from housekeeping.

Staying warm is more than just a luxury, eh.

GOD Speed !:cool:

I'm sailing with you on the CB, and staying on for the next one. I sure hope the AC is such a non-issue that we don't even realize it's there! I'm with you on hating it too cold.

By the way, I don't recall seeing you on the roll call for the 10/27 cruise. Come on over, it's an amazing and active group.

Maureen

iceland_pm2010.jpg.a44c13996208e76f78aec3cd4d39d8a8.jpg

Maureen

Well you have had all the opinions and so on from folk who have either never been on this ship, or not very recently.

We debarked yesterday and can tell you that many public spaces were warm and humid at times, then sometimes got blasts of cooler air, some were OK most of the time, and some cabins were fine, others were not cool enough for their occupants.

Ours was one of those not cool enough and had insufficient airflow, advice on this thread ranges from keeping the balcony door open or never opening it.

If you have an interior as we do then there is no such option.

One thing I have noticed previously on Grand class ships is that stair towers were often hot and smelly, this was not the case on Caribbean P.

We never heard one person complaining it was too cold.

Well you have had all the opinions and so on from folk who have either never been on this ship, or not very recently.

We debarked yesterday and can tell you that many public spaces were warm and humid at times, then sometimes got blasts of cooler air, some were OK most of the time, and some cabins were fine, others were not cool enough for their occupants.

Ours was one of those not cool enough and had insufficient airflow, advice on this thread ranges from keeping the balcony door open or never opening it.

If you have an interior as we do then there is no such option.

One thing I have noticed previously on Grand class ships is that stair towers were often hot and smelly, this was not the case on Caribbean P.

We never heard one person complaining it was too cold.

This is my third cruise in as many years on the CB. I'm sure there were hot and cold spots, but unless they are extreme, I don't usually notice them. I was on HAL earlier this year and a lot of people complained about the hot and cold areas on the ship I was on. I did notice them but again, they didn't bother me. Now, if my cabin is very hot, or very cold, I would be bothered. I do have an interior, same one as last cruise, so I hope it is as nice as it was last August.

In reading the various boards I think almost every ship, or at least the ones I've read up on, have heating and AC problems, and often sewerage smells and bathroom problems.

Maureen

Archived