Extra tip with UBP

LMaxwell

I usually end up finding a bar or bartender I like on a ship; now with UBP all paid up in our fare and the automatic tipping portion handled are they going to provide a slip for me to add more, or should I just carry cash? Or should I just wait until the end of the week?

Slip given in small folder. Tip included, there is a line for additional tip, or put money in folder as you deem necessary. We found the included tip was generous. Whenever we had fast service, we threw some singles here and there, and mostly the service was fast and efficient. Noticed most people did not tip extra.

Safe sailing

We always tip $1 a drink. I like to give them cash but if I don't have it with me, I just write it in. It's kind of strange seeing just the tip showing on the bill............ You could wait until the end of the week but then you're wasting time looking for them. If you tip as you go................they always find you!!

Yeah I always like to reward great service with a bit extra. Not going to tip for every drink ordered since it's all in with the paid package already. But did want to know my options to take care of the standouts.

Even with UBP, they still hand you a receipt to sign with each drink and you can add more tip if you choose.

I know this is a really minor thing, the no-slip policy Celebrity has for drink packages is actually a pretty nice perk.

To OP - I prefer to tip at the end of the cruise a single cash bonus to the few that exceed expectations. That way I can save my small bills for ports of call (many still want USD).

To OP - I prefer to tip at the end of the cruise a single cash bonus to the few that exceed expectations.

That's what I normally do also, but never had a package so just didn't know how it was handled. Think I will stick with the tried and true methods like you do.

We tip $1 on every order, either in cash or on the tip line. Just like on land, it helps get more frequent service if it's busy.

I don't want this to devolve into "one of those" threads, but I prefer to reward those that provide great service. I've already paid for the package and service charges, so the extra cash tips are for great servers, not given with each drink just to make sure I get decent service to start with.

I know, everyone is entitled to what they feel works best. I just didn't know if they gave slips with packages or not.

Best case scenario; we get great service everywhere and hand out lots of extra money:D:D

Slip given in small folder. Tip included, there is a line for additional tip, or put money in folder as you deem necessary. We found the included tip was generous. Whenever we had fast service, we threw some singles here and there, and mostly the service was fast and efficient. Noticed most people did not tip extra.

Safe sailing

Why would you add a tip when 18% was already added. Service does not change and noticed too that no one seemed to be adding anything more in fact one of the Barmen actually said people are drinking more with the UBP and his tips were much better.

Oh well maybe its a brit thing but after paying 18% which is 18% more than we ever pay for getting a bottle out of the fridge that's enough.

Why would you add a tip when 18% was already added. Service does not change and noticed too that no one seemed to be adding anything more in fact one of the Barmen actually said people are drinking more with the UBP and his tips were much better.

Oh well maybe its a brit thing but after paying 18% which is 18% more than we ever pay for getting a bottle out of the fridge that's enough.

Generally find one or two servers that are fun, anticipate a re-fill, are extra friendly. Nice to give them a bit more cash at the end to reward their great services. I don't subscribe to the tip on top of a tip just to get basic service thing though.

Never cared to look. Included tip is plenty simply for serving a drink. If I stay in one place for a while and have a server who stays attentive I may leave a few $1's in cash at the end.

Edited by ray98

Generally find one or two servers that are fun, anticipate a re-fill, are extra friendly. Nice to give them a bit more cash at the end to reward their great services. I don't subscribe to the tip on top of a tip just to get basic service thing though.

OK but I still feel that 18% is enough but good on you for going the extra mile!

A few weeks ago I had the premium pkg on RCL's Freedom. I tipped an extra $1 half the time, $2 a few times, and nothing extra the rest. I received no better or quicker service from bartenders I tipped extra. Most were friendly as they should be, but I would order my drink and rejoin my wife or whatever I was doing, and don't usually sit down at the bar and just drink and gab with the bartender or other patrons. If so, they might be different, but next time, I think the included 18% will be enough.

Just an FYI. We asked a bartender on Royal last month about extra tip and if it you write it on the receipt, it still gets shared by everyone, but if you give them cash, it belongs to them. I would assume it's the same on NCL.

Just an FYI. We asked a bartender on Royal last month about extra tip and if it you write it on the receipt, it still gets shared by everyone, but if you give them cash, it belongs to them. I would assume it's the same on NCL.

From past experience & having conversations with the bar staff on NCL, yes it is the same policy. The 18% & anything extra you write in on the receipt gets shared by all staff, no matter who works harder, faster, better, etc.

From past experience & having conversations with the bar staff on NCL, yes it is the same policy. The 18% & anything extra you write in on the receipt gets shared by all staff, no matter who works harder, faster, better, etc.

Interesting. Good to know. More inclined to use cash now.

The majority of us Brits can't get there head round tipping extra when you are forced to pay 18% on every drink served. If my wife and I were in a bar in the UK and our drinks were £10, we wouldn't dream of giving the server £2 each time.

18% is more than enough, but it must be a cultural thing !

The majority of us Brits can't get there head round tipping extra when you are forced to pay 18% on every drink served. If my wife and I were in a bar in the UK and our drinks were £10, we wouldn't dream of giving the server £2 each time.

It is definitely a cultural thing. Here in the US, 15% is considered "standard service" in restaurants (not necessarily bars) because the minimum wage is lower for servers. But I last cruised when it was 15% so I didn't mind an extra $5 the last day for an excellent bartender. Now that it's up to 18% they have to exceed my expectations even more. It also makes a difference to me with UBP (at least, before free packages were charged the gratuities).

Agreed and that's why we Brits will never in general add anything to the tips. As far as I am concerned 18% for opening a bottle and doing my job is OTT

Indeed I am embarrassed to say that some Brits actually removed it from the final bill as well as the DSC.

I think the time has come for the cruise lines to realise that whilst they can keeping upping charges many will keep removing them it's that simple

I guess I should be British because I totally agree with you!! If I got a $10 drink at a bar here, I would normally tip $1. Pretty much the same for any drink I get.