Meet and Greet popularity

newmexicoNita

We are sailing from LAX in Oct and have had almost no response to our scheduled M&G. In fact we decided to cancel it. I checked the other Oct sailings on the Jewel and found the same thing: no activity. On our last cruise, in April, a longer one on the Pearl we had a huge group with all kinds of activities. I am wondering, what has been others experiences in the past few months? Is the lack of interest in the Oct Jewel M&Gs just due to the type of people cruising the Mex Riv or is this a trend we might see develop in the future? I have never, in all my days of sailing NCL or any ship seen one that had to be cancelled due to poor attendence.

We are sailing from LAX in Oct and have had almost no response to our scheduled M&G. In fact we decided to cancel it. I checked the other Oct sailings on the Jewel and found the same thing: no activity. On our last cruise, in April, a longer one on the Pearl we had a huge group with all kinds of activities. I am wondering, what has been others experiences in the past few months? Is the lack of interest in the Oct Jewel M&Gs just due to the type of people cruising the Mex Riv or is this a trend we might see develop in the future? I have never, in all my days of sailing NCL or any ship seen one that had to be cancelled due to poor attendence.

Our meet and greet for the Gem last year had about 40 or so members on the roll call, less than half showed up to the meet and greet.

What do you mean the type of people that cruise the Mexican Riviera???

Nita, I think Roll Call attendance is based on a lot of things. New and long itineraries with people who are long time cruisers and know the advantages of a vibrant roll call and meet and greet and love the idea, the plethora of new cruisers who don't know about Cruise Critic, long time cruisers who don't want to be tied down/would rather go incognito, those who use it for the sharing of information but don't care for the social aspects and then perhaps those who participate in the conversation but don't feel a connection. Just my thoughts as I have witnessed over the last 5 years the same decline.:)

Just trying to start another fight. :rolleyes:

Not at all. That's your take. You put a comment like that out , I'd like to know. I'm going on the same ship, itinerary just a different month.

Edited by janpo

I have on been one cruise that did not have a M&G scheduled. Don't remember the reason.

I will agree that only about half the the people that say they will attend actually do. The ships have a formula that says if the headcount is one figure, they prepare for this figure. My last Alaskan cruise this past Spring, the Hotel Director said we had a much larger turnout than they had expected.

I would not worry about a missing M&G or lack of activity on a Roll Call ruin my cruise.

Not at all. That's your take. You put a comment like that out , I'd like to know. I'm going on the same ship, itinerary just a different month.

I was just on a MR cruise so I'm curious as well.

What do you mean the type of people that cruise the Mexican Riviera???

A younger group, more inclined to just want to do their own thing, live and let live, like so many on the west coast and not into organized activities as much. I didn't mean anything negative if that is what you may have thought.

A younger group, more inclined to just want to do their own thing, live and let live, like so many on the west coast and not into organized activities as much. I didn't mean anything negative if that is what you may have thought.

Ty for explaining. I don't fall under the younger group nor on the west coast.

Edited by janpo

I wonder if it's because NCL does a mediocre job at best...RCCL puts out a great spread, raffles off RCCL stuff you'll never use, but folks seem to like it. Just wondering...

Oh my goodness, I don't really think that has much to do with it. I have never been to a M&G on RCI, but have on other lines and NCLs has been, by far the best. Our last Princess cruise and HAL only had one or two from management even attend and Princess didn't even serve sweet rolls. Not that we need them or anything. NCL always has so many from officers to answer questions.

I think as cruising has become more popular and we see more repeat cruisers, that some of those folks may be less inclined to attend a meet and greet. Sort of a been there, done that mind set. It has been my experience that this is especially true on route that have a lot of repeaters. Ie, MR, since it and AK are the only itineraries without lengthy flights. The same is true for the W. Carib from NO and Galv. Lots of folks within driving distance.

As an additional note, I would like to say I've know NMNita for many years on these boards and I can assure you, she meant nothing ugly by her comment.

Georgia

Maybe there's just not a large contingency of cruise critic passengers who are on your particular cruise who are interested in the meet and greet. I happen to find them to be invaluable and have always benefited by attending them and meeting the management team, but not everyone sees it that way. :)

There are a lot of us who wait until the last minute to sign up because we have no intention of knowingly being in a room with some of the more aggressive and abrasive members of CC who spend their time (and ruin the forum, IMHO) sniping at each other and acting like children.

There have been a couple of M&G where people said they were embarrassed at the way CC members treated the hotel director and other officers present.

We have enjoyed attending but given the state of affairs here recently, we are keeping a close eye on the roll call list.

I wonder if it's because NCL does a mediocre job at best...RCCL puts out a great spread, raffles off RCCL stuff you'll never use, but folks seem to like it. Just wondering...

And I think differently.

Been to Meet and Greets and Meet and Mingles on NCL, RCCL, and Princess.

Yes, RCCL sends ONE person or two over with raffles and silly prizes but that's it. NCL actually sends Officers to greet us, talk to us, etc. RCCL and Princess does not do that. All three put on a nice spread IMO.

So for me, NCL's are still nicer.

Harriet

we attended the M&G on a RCI cruise,and no officers came. The event was over in minutes, and quite boring.

In comparison, NCL does a better job

Ty for explaining. I don't fall under the younger group nor on the west coast.

Oh, certainly not everyone falls into they demographics I was referring to; we don't either, but the overall itinery, the emarkation port, etc will does draw a slighty different type of criuser.