Can this really be true??????

ellie1145

We recently booked a one-nighter on Norwegian Escape and have been trying to do our online check in for the past 2 weeks (although Internet has been difficult as we were on the QV!) I have tried again since returning with the same lack of success as it repeatedly says I am inputting an incorrect date (I'm not!).

My TA seems unable to help so I have spoken to NCL this afternoon, and the problem seems to be..............my iPad!

The NCL agent tells me that it is impossible to do online check in with NCL on an iPad, as they have a problem with iPads. Apparently, they are trying to sort this problem out....but they say they will have to call me to do my check in.

I am not a novice cruiser and have never experienced any problem using my ipad with any other cruise line.

So my question is, are they telling me a 'porkie' or is it really true that NCL cannot accommodate online check in from an iPad?

I am, at the moment, gob smacked!

[quote name='ColinIllinois']Try using another device besides an iPad and find out. :)[/QUOTE]

So I need to go and buy a laptop in order to do online check in for my one night 'cruise' to nowhere????? Edited by ellie1145

[quote name='ellie1145']So I need to go and buy a laptop in order to do online check in for my one night 'cruise' to nowhere?????[/QUOTE]

Try your local public library - every one I've seen has free internet access.

I have experienced many sites which are either unresponsive, or difficult, when using an I-pad.

Fedex Kinkos? Staples? Walmart? Really, no place where you use a desktop computer for just 2 minutes?

I think a situation like this is a reminder why one should never truely get rid of a home laptop or a desktop....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk Edited by maywell

Admittedly, making mobile friendly websites is hilariously annoying. It's like trying to catch a greasy pig sometimes because device and browser updates don't always play nice and can frequently cause issues on sites that are otherwise well constructed. You can do everything right as a developer, only to see a Chrome/Safari/device/whatever update completely wreck your work. It's frequently a mystery too because unless their web team has people doing mobile testing all day every day, they generally won't know until someone external reports it.

[quote name='SwissLe']Works fine on my iPad in Safari, I do have issues with logging in on Chrome on my iMac from time to time.

NCL have a lot of work to do to make their site mobile friendly. It's a UI nightmare.[/QUOTE]

The site, no matter how you access it, has been a nightmare lately.

They switched two port times on our Escape cruise, causing me to call & cancel. My PCC caught the mistake. I heard reports that the excursion I am interested in booking changes its time to match the new port time, but it still does not show on NCL.
Finally, I received my final payment notice with a due date of [SIZE="2"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]12/30/1969[/COLOR][/SIZE] so my assumption is the IT dept all drive Deloreans.

OP head to your library & try your checkin from there. Edited by HarpHarp

They are telling you the truth. I have experience many sites that don't work correctly on an ipad. There sites that I could not use using Chrome and worked with Explorer and the reverse was true, Had one site so far with a problem using MS Edge and Chrome worked.

[quote name='ellie1145']So I need to go and buy a laptop in order to do online check in for my one night 'cruise' to nowhere?????[/QUOTE]

You do not need to complete the online check-in, while strongly recommended, it is not required. Just arrive to the port early enough because you'll spend more time getting in to and inside the terminal.

Just did online check in for DH and myself minutes ago on iPad using Safari. No problems, no error messages. Have been checking in on iPad for all our cruises for a few years now, no issues. Sound's like the IT dept is just blowing you off with the incompatible with IPad excuse because they have no idea why you are getting an error message. I'd just let them call me and take the info over the phone.

[quote name='Demonyte']You do not need to complete the online check-in, while strongly recommended, it is not required. Just arrive to the port early enough because you'll spend more time getting in to and inside the terminal.[/QUOTE]
Depends on how crummy the port...(For Manhattan Terminal - if you can't come in super early like 8am, just do it at home and spare yourself the trouble...and I will leave it at that.)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

[quote name='NoahtheRed']Admittedly, making mobile friendly websites is hilariously annoying. It's like trying to catch a greasy pig sometimes because device and browser updates don't always play nice and can frequently cause issues on sites that are otherwise well constructed. You can do everything right as a developer, only to see a Chrome/Safari/device/whatever update completely wreck your work. It's frequently a mystery too because unless their web team has people doing mobile testing all day every day, they generally won't know until someone external reports it.[/QUOTE]

Your user name and photo are hysterical! You just made my day. :D:D:D

[quote name='cliffd64']What they meant to say is that from time to time the Norwegian web site has difficulty working on the Safari browser. Download a free version of Chrome for the iPad and you will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your most helpful suggestion. Just what I needed.

My comment about having to buy a laptop was tongue in cheek.....;):D

[quote name='ellie1145']We recently booked a one-nighter on Norwegian Escape and have been trying to do our online check in for the past 2 weeks (although Internet has been difficult as we were on the QV!) I have tried again since returning with the same lack of success as it repeatedly says I am inputting an incorrect date (I'm not!).

My TA seems unable to help so I have spoken to NCL this afternoon, and the problem seems to be..............my iPad!

The NCL agent tells me that it is impossible to do online check in with NCL on an iPad, as they have a problem with iPads. Apparently, they are trying to sort this problem out....but they say they will have to call me to do my check in.

I am not a novice cruiser and have never experienced any problem using my ipad with any other cruise line.

So my question is, are they telling me a 'porkie' or is it really true that NCL cannot accommodate online check in from an iPad?

I am, at the moment, gob smacked![/QUOTE]

To answer your question....It's NCL. Of course, (now and then), they can't accommodate online check in; not a surprise at all to me.

I have had recent sporadic issues using my IPad to get to my November 8 2015,BA reservation on the NCL web site. Sometimes it does not accept my user name and /or password, or I can get to my reservation and absolutely zero options appear for excursions, dining etc in planning. I already used my IPad to book my shows. I also could not make final payment on IPad had to use my laptop. I tried Safari and Chrome on IPad no difference.

Please be advised the OP is in the UK, she must have booked thru UK NCL, her iPad is UK ... everything UK.

To the OP: on the side note, if you are getting error about incorrect date, try transposing the dd and mm.

UK dd/mm/yyyy
US mm/dd/yyyy

I'm in the middle of the pond and I do everything both US and UK, ha ha.

My new Ipad Air 2 won't let me click on links people post here on CC. I can't go to, say page 2, from the top of the thread but I can from the bottom, go figure. It's annoying but not worth getting riled up about.

My original Ipad can't even look at anything anymore as Apple made sure to make it so obsolete even it's original apps won't work anymore.

However, they did say you could call in to check in, right? Many people cruise who don't even know what a mouse is. They still manage to board.

Enjoy your cruise! Wish it were me ;)

[quote name='Medtech2']My new Ipad Air 2 won't let me click on links people post here on CC. I can't go to, say page 2, from the top of the thread but I can from the bottom, go figure. It's annoying but not worth getting riled up about.

Enjoy your cruise! Wish it were me ;)[/QUOTE]

Same is true for me on my Dell laptop. I pointed this out to my DH, who is a software engineer... he shrugged and said, "then just use the bottom link!!"....apparently, that's why he gets the big bucks! :rolleyes:

As for all the browser issues...sometimes NCL lets me in with Chrome.....other time..nope!....same with Safari. Sometimes it likes my Kindle and not my laptop and vice versa--- I have decided that it is just NCL and, try at a different time :cool:

[quote name='HarpHarp']The site, no matter how you access it, has been a nightmare lately.

They switched two port times on our Escape cruise, causing me to call & cancel. My PCC caught the mistake. I heard reports that the excursion I am interested in booking changes its time to match the new port time, but it still does not show on NCL.
Finally, I received my final payment notice with a due date of [SIZE="2"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]12/30/1969[/COLOR][/SIZE] so my assumption is the IT dept all drive Deloreans.

OP head to your library & try your checkin from there.[/QUOTE]

Linux first date is 1/1/1970 and any offset comes from your timezone, so it just shows a bad database restore. You just happened to see it. I see this all the time managing corporate backups. But yes it does make you think about a time machine.