Ever been upgraded when opted for "no upgrade"

bunkrest

Ok a little long winded but bare with me.

Booked a two week cruise back in February chose a Q6 at the stern on Victoria very happy.

10 days ago decided to add on to the start of the two week cruise a short 3 nighter chose a Q5 ( just became available that very day after showing sold out for months) only two suites away from the Q6 again opted for no upgrade as I want to be at the stern of the ship and happy to move cabins on the turnaround day.

Monday I get a confirmation email of my booking showing a move from the Q6 to the Q5 (stern corner suite) so in effect I'm in the same suite for the whole 17 nights however in my mind I think the Q5's are a smaller suite it's only the balcony that's bigger that's why I chose the Q6 and not the Q5 for the original 14 night cruise, I only chose the Q5 for the 3 night section because it is near.

I have spoken to Cunard but no one was able to help at the time and someone was supposed to call me back.

Had anyone had any experience of the Q5 corner suites on Victoria?Are they a lot smaller?And for the sake of ease would you be happy to stay in it?

Booked a two week cruise back in February chose a Q6 at the stern on Victoria very happy.

10 days ago decided to add on to the start of the two week cruise a short 3 nighter chose a Q5 ( just became available that very day after showing sold out for months) only two suites away from the Q6 again opted for no upgrade as I want to be at the stern of the ship and happy to move cabins on the turnaround day.

Monday I get a confirmation email of my booking showing a move from the Q6 to the Q5 (stern corner suite) so in effect I'm in the same suite for the whole 17 nights however in my mind I think the Q5's are a smaller suite it's only the balcony that's bigger that's why I chose the Q6 and not the Q5 for the original 14 night cruise, I only chose the Q5 for the 3 night section because it is near.

I have spoken to Cunard but no one was able to help at the time and someone was supposed to call me back.

Had anyone had any experience of the Q5 corner suites on Victoria?Are they a lot smaller?And for the sake of ease would you be happy to stay in it?

I'd say they've done this to make it easier for you and the staff. I've no experience with Grills suites on QV or QE, but apparently there isn't uniformity of size unlike on QM2 (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Personally, I'd take the corner suite for the entire time. I see it as a practical thing.

Meanwhile, if anyone from Cunard is reading this, I'd love a Britannia to PG or even QG on my b2b 10 night and 15 night QE cruises in Dec. I won't hold it against the company if I am even offered a Q1 :)

You just might be right, I suppose I'm a little put out ,when I booked my Q6 back in January/February time I had the pick of them all more or less and took a couple of days deciding which to opt for,then in a matter of hours it's snatched away from me without my say so [emoji53]

You just might be right, I suppose I'm a little put out ,when I booked my Q6 back in January/February time I had the pick of them all more or less and took a couple of days deciding which to opt for,then in a matter of hours it's snatched away from me without my say so [emoji53]

They might upgrade you further yet. It can happen. It could be all the way up to a Q1. Then you'll get bigger everything :)

Hi bunkrest,

Love your way of thinking [emoji12] don't make waves and see what happens...
Austcruiser84 has the correct idea; two or three times on QM2 I've had up-grades, that have then been up-graded again.

Furthermore, my parents received a similar "double" up-grade on a Cunard cruise

(in all cases not just upgrades within a category, but to completely different types of cabin).

Enjoy your cruise, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

5194 is shown here: It may help you decide.

That's the one Cunard have kicked me out of then put me in the corner suite 5189 even tho I said no upgrades,originally 5189 for 3 nights and 5194 for 14 nights now 5189 for 17 nights...easier yes it means I don't have to move on the turnaround but I'd prefer 5194 for 17 nights if anything,the YouTube video of 5189 it looks a lot smaller to me..

AH, what I wouldn't give for an upgrade!

I tried to book a balcony club suite for my upcoming October 11-28 round-trip crossing (lured-in by the prospect of private dining). Because I need a scooter part-time, they down-sold me to an accessible 5th deck room with a tiny portal window. Even if the suites weren't quadruple the cost of the balcony, none available was accessible.

Because of the accessibly issue, I was told I have virtually no shot of an upgrade.

What sucks is that taking a shower -- even with a stool -- is far more exhausting for me than a bath. So I could really benefit from the Grill's tubs.

And if I'm seated at a group table, all of the pretty candles will need to be extinguished. Because I travel with O2 and it's a fire hazard. So apologies in advance if you get stuck with me at your table and I ruin your ambiance.

Edited by PatriciaMay

5194 (a Q6) on the QV does feel to be a larger room than the Q5s on the corners albeit there's an island in the middle effectively hiding the door from the bed. The trade off is the corner balcony that the Q5 has.

The two Q6's on either side of the centre Q6 have a lot more floor space than the others on the back but is more open to the doorway on deck 5 (deck 4 is different again as there's a tiny corridor) ie. if the butler is bringing breakfast in the morning and you're still in bed, you can be seen very easily - it doesn't bother us but may be an issue for some people.

I feel the bathrooms on the middle suites (Q6s) are slightly better than those on the side too, as there's not a need to walk through the dressing area to get to the 2 sink bathroom (there's only 1 sink in the centre Q6s).

Whatever you do, ensure you retain your "do not upgrade" with Cunard as they'll move you to the vast array of Q4s on decks 7 or the Q3s midships (penthouses) as there are so many more of those and personally, they do not have as much space in the suite as those on the back due to the way they're sectioned in two, effectively like two balcony rooms adjoined.

We love the Q6s on the back and will try to get them whenever possible but we're easily able to walk. Other people hate them due to the distances to walk. We heard of a couple of ladies who were upgraded from a Q2 to a Q1 and never left the suite because it was too far to walk and wished they hadn't been upgraded for the whole trip because they never saw anyone except their butler. They never ate in the dining room throughout their voyage.

I hope you manage to get your old suite back as it will be enjoyable to compare the two, but if you don't enjoy the larger balcony if the weather is good.

Thank you Lynnewob I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless,I've had no call back from Cunard as yet, I'm beginning to feel I should be just grateful I'm in QG but I've paid for it handsomely believe me,I just want it to be right and when you tick do not upgrade I don't expect to be ignored but in their defence as others have said maybe they are thinking of making it easier for me but I'm only a phone call away they could have asked first

but I'm only a phone call away they could have asked first

That's the thought I'm going with. I'm sorry, but I've yet to experience any changes that Cunard has made for my convienence rather than theirs. Please know that I'm only speaking from my own personal experience. :)

Don't blame you for being a bit peeved. The Q6 suites on the QE and the Vickie are the best Queens Grille suites on board as far as I am concerned. The two Q5 are not bad but being in the middle at the rear can't be beat. Now if I had been upgraded totally out of the rear suites for supposedly better suites on the side of the ship, I would be ballistic.

We have just booked 5192 (a Q6) for the last leg of the World Cruise next year after much research and have requested No Upgrade. We are a little apprehensive as we were upgraded last year from Balcony (7071) to Princess Grill, and whilst very welcome on that occasion, we had requested No Upgrade. I would be very disappointed if we were moved particularly to a Q3 or Q4.

No call back as promised,I'm torn to be honest of staying put as it will be easier staying in the same suite for the two cruises and the lure of my chosen suite which to me looks more spacious I just wish I could find photos of 5189 the YouTube video makes the suite look very squashed in, somebody please put my mind at rest...lets have a poll and whatever the outcome I'll go with that....[emoji26]