Price Dropped- can I get a change?

BoisDore

Hello,

I have a group assembling for a TA in the fall of 2016, and I've just noticed that Cunard's online prices are now lower than the group rates we booked. (the reverse of a couple months ago, when the group booking was first made)

Should my travel agent be able to renegotiate the group rate, and get us equal to or lesser than what the same cabis are selling for now?

Thanks.

On a US booking in advance of ~the final payment date you should be able to take advantage of most price reductions. Some promotions are coded for new bookings only, so you may run into difficulty with those.

In April I was able to take advantage of a small price drop plus a prepaid gratuities promotion for my Christmas cruise. There was a $100 reduction in onboard credit but the addition of prepaid gratuities made up for it and more.

Edited by Underwatr

Hello,

I have a group assembling for a TA in the fall of 2016, and I've just noticed that Cunard's online prices are now lower than the group rates we booked. (the reverse of a couple months ago, when the group booking was first made)

Should my travel agent be able to renegotiate the group rate, and get us equal to or lesser than what the same cabis are selling for now?

Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Since it is a group booking that might make a difference but it is definitely worth seeing what your travel agent can do. Good luck!

An off topic question...

If we are the only couple in our group to be in the grills, will it be a problem for us to dine with our group in the MDR two or three nights?

Personally speaking, if you are a group it seems a bit odd to separate yourself off to the Grills.

Personally speaking, if you are a group it seems a bit odd to separate yourself off to the Grills.

I can be very odd, so if this is only a bit, then I'll have a balance remaining. Any idea on the dining room question?

You probably won't easily be able to eat in Britannia assuming there aren't two empty seats at their table the whole cruise, but easily in Todd English or the Kings Court evening a la carte venues.

Yea - That's my concern. I know we'll all do at least one dinner at Todd English, and having 2-3 dinners without the group is fine - maybe even optimal.

Surely there is some amount of fudge factor in the dining room seating space & assignments, with people skipping the MDR for other options? I wonder if greasing the maitre d's could get a couple sent up to the QG dining room to free up some space?

I can be very odd, so if this is only a bit, then I'll have a balance remaining. Any idea on the dining room question?

It is recommended that your bookings be linked..

Dining as a Group

A TWID code can be added to all fare types for passengers wishing to dine together, however, please advise passengers we cannot guarantee these requests. In addition we cannot guarantee that linked bookings will be allocated the same dining choice and/or time or that cabins are in close proximity of each other.

Please see page 20 of the CCS User Guide for further details on adding dining requests and linking bookings. (I presume this last part refers to a professional travel agent manual.)

As for different grades, this is from ask.cunard.com:

Q. Am I able to dine in a restaurant that is allocated for other grades?

If you are allocated to the Britannia restaurant, it would not be possible for you to dine in the Princess Grill or Queens Grill as these restaurants are reserved for those guests travelling in Princess Grill or Queens Grill suites. It is also not possible for you to upgrade to dine in Princess Grill or Queens Grill restaurants, unless you upgrade your stateroom prior to sailing.

If you wish to dine with other guests who are booked into a different stateroom category you would all need to be booked into the same stateroom category.

Edited by BlueRiband

It is recommended that your bookings be linked..

Dining as a Group

A TWID code can be added to all fare types for passengers wishing to dine together, however, please advise passengers we cannot guarantee these requests. In addition we cannot guarantee that linked bookings will be allocated the same dining choice and/or time or that cabins are in close proximity of each other.

Please see page 20 of the CCS User Guide for further details on adding dining requests and linking bookings. (I presume this last part refers to a professional travel agent manual.)

As for different grades, this is from ask.cunard.com:

Q. Am I able to dine in a restaurant that is allocated for other grades?

If you are allocated to the Britannia restaurant, it would not be possible for you to dine in the Princess Grill or Queens Grill as these restaurants are reserved for those guests travelling in Princess Grill or Queens Grill suites. It is also not possible for you to upgrade to dine in Princess Grill or Queens Grill restaurants, unless you upgrade your stateroom prior to sailing.

If you wish to dine with other guests who are booked into a different stateroom category you would all need to be booked into the same stateroom category.

Hmmm... I guess that answers the question. Or gives at least the official answer. Thank you BlueRiband.

I did see somewhere in a past thread a report of Queens Grill guests wanting to have dinner one night with a friend who was in Britannia, and the QG maitre d' got them a table in the Princess Grill. So, it would seem that they may be some room to 'make things happen'. I'd want to be a bit more confidant before making the booking, though.

PARTIAL QUOTE

Surely there is some amount of fudge factor in the dining room seating space & assignments, with people skipping the MDR for other options? I wonder if greasing the maitre d's could get a couple sent up to the QG dining room to free up some space?

Not at all sure I understand what that means, but maybe that's just as well.:)

I was part of a group of twelve friends on QM2 a few years back. We all had Britannia Grade balcony cabins.

As we were all friends we dined together (evenings. Went our separate ways in smaller groups for breakfast and lunch).

We did this as we booked as a group. No-one felt the need to elevate themselves and book a different grade of accommodation. No "them and us" atmosphere (I think if any of us had done so, we wouldn't still be friends, and planning yet another group cruise).

After we had enjoyed this group cruise, several booked other Cunard cruises. In Princess or Queens Grill suites.

And that is what I would advise; travel on this trip as a group all in one grade of accommodation. Then book a future cruise in Queens Grill just for yourself.

Whilst in Queens Grill it may be possible to "dine down" on one night (this has been done in the past), I doubt it would be welcome on a regular/frequent basis. As for passengers "dining up", I've never heard of this. And "greasing" a maitre 'd could be seen as very insulting.

In short, I'm not sure I understand why one would book as part of a group, and then separate oneself from the group?

Best wishes and happy sailing whatever you do :)

Edited by pepperrn

A factual answer to your Dining question.....basically yes , you should be able to dine in Britannia a couple of times if you wish. We did precisely this on QE when travelling in PG and our friends were in Britannia. Maitre'd organised this for us without any problem. But they were not allowed to dine with us in PG.

In our case we had booked originally to go (in PG) with another couple who had to cancel due to an accident. The friends who joined us on the cruise did so last minute and were unable to secure a PG cabin - our friends cancelled cabin had already been sold on.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Hmmm... I guess that answers the question. Or gives at least the official answer. Thank you BlueRiband.

I did see somewhere in a past thread a report of Queens Grill guests wanting to have dinner one night with a friend who was in Britannia, and the QG maitre d' got them a table in the Princess Grill. So, it would seem that they may be some room to 'make things happen'. I'd want to be a bit more confidant before making the booking, though.

Yes, people in Grill staterooms have reported being able to bring in friends for a special occasion. But that's one occasion and will depend on how full is the ship and who is running the restaurant. So for this reason I never tell anybody to just set it up with the Maitre D'. If all of the tables are allocated there may be no wiggle room.

Britannia seating is assigned for dinner. So this may be the same situation especially at the first sitting. It may be possible to make an arrangement for one night but again that will depend on how much space is available. If your group liked your dining arrangements, would you want to be asked to sit elsewhere for one night so some other group can celebrate an anniversary or milestone birthday?

Britannia has open seating for breakfast and lunch.

You have to decide if dining with your group or staying in a Grill suite is your priority.

Edited by BlueRiband

I was part of a group of twelve friends on QM2 a few years back. We all had Britannia Grade balcony cabins.

As we were all friends we dined together (evenings. Went our separate ways in smaller groups for breakfast and lunch).

We did this as we booked as a group. No-one felt the need to elevate themselves and book a different grade of accommodation. No "them and us" atmosphere (I think if any of us had done so, we wouldn't still be friends, and planning yet another group cruise).

After we had enjoyed this group cruise, several booked other Cunard cruises. In Princess or Queens Grill suites.

And that is what I would advise; travel on this trip as a group all in one grade of accommodation. Then book a future cruise in Queens Grill just for yourself.

Whilst in Queens Grill it may be possible to "dine down" on one night (this has been done in the past), I doubt it would be welcome on a regular/frequent basis. As for passengers "dining up", I've never heard of this. And "greasing" a maitre 'd could be seen as very insulting.

In short, I'm not sure I understand why one would book as part of a group, and then separate oneself from the group?

Best wishes and happy sailing whatever you do :)

Thank you for your insights, Pepper.

I certainly wouldn't want to create an 'us vs them' distinction among the group. Part of my thinking is to have the QG suite to then be able to host our group for cocktails and canapes at least a few nights - perhaps a casting off party on our balcony.

But perhaps I'm mis-estimating a social/class structure aboard? Is there a hierarchy - perhaps unwritten - in addition to where one sleeps and eats? (Needless to say it's our first time... On a cruise of any sort.)

A factual answer to your Dining question.....basically yes , you should be able to dine in Britannia a couple of times if you wish. We did precisely this on QE when travelling in PG and our friends were in Britannia. Maitre'd organised this for us without any problem. But they were not allowed to dine with us in PG.

In our case we had booked originally to go (in PG) with another couple who had to cancel due to an accident. The friends who joined us on the cruise did so last minute and were unable to secure a PG cabin - our friends cancelled cabin had already been sold on.

Thanks for that insight, Mysticalmother.

... I certainly wouldn't want to create an 'us vs them' distinction among the group. Part of my thinking is to have the QG suite to then be able to host our group for cocktails and canapes at least a few nights - perhaps a casting off party on our balcony.
Hi BoisDore,

That is a great idea. And your Butler would help with arrangements (canape, drinks). How very thoughtful and generous of you, how many in your group, may I ask (and do you have room for one more? ;) :D ). If you do this, it will give your group a social "hub", well thought out :) .

...But perhaps I'm mis-estimating a social/class structure aboard? Is there a hierarchy - perhaps unwritten - in addition to where one sleeps and eats? (Needless to say it's our first time... On a cruise of any sort.)
Not at all, there is no more of a class structure on Cunard vessels than on many other modern ships. 95% of the ship is open to all, regardless of whether they have booked an Inside Cabin, or a Grand Duplex Suite (with the exception of two restaurants, two small lounges and a smallish deck area).

As long as you have thought this through, and are comfortable with dining separately from the larger group, then fine; go for it :) .

Have the most wonderful time on board.

Edited by pepperrn

One really must take great care if one wants to mix class within the sanctum of Cunard's Grills. Like the Hadron Collider it can't be done I'm afraid. It's just considered poor form for PG and QG molecules to collide thereby opening up a singularity at the flambe cart, Aunty Agatha is likely to get sucked in pearls and all :p
That really was tongue in cheek, I believe there is absolutely no danger, but please tell your friends just in case :)

I certainly wouldn't want to create an 'us vs them' distinction among the group. Part of my thinking is to have the QG suite to then be able to host our group for cocktails and canapes at least a few nights - perhaps a casting off party on our balcony.

I don't know . but it could be taken as "showing off" by some. Depends on how the group members will see it?

Hello,

Thanks.

An followup on the original question, if anyone is curious: My agent was able to reduce all previously booking to the current, lower fare. She wasn't able to get the contracted group rate reduced, so future bookings will be at the lower of group/currently available. As was suggested by a couple of commenters, if fares go even lower, we can continually get reductions up until final payment dates. And we were able to get the free gratuities offer without forfeiting any OBC. (I'm learning a lot!)

I don't know . but it could be taken as "showing off" by some. Depends on how the group members will see it?

Thanks for your concern. We're all very good friends, and quite comfortable in the dynamics of our relationships.