Formal Attire for Women

resordanis

Unbelievably, I have not found a single long dress in any local high street store. Suspect have to go to the major city stores to find anything. Got something online which is always a bit of a risk as some stuff had to be sent back due to fit or fabric.

Earlier post had good idea of gradually building up a cruise wardrobe over time. I am still a novice cruiser, but hope to build up my trips over time... will just need to get a new wardrobe to fit all the new outfits in... and a new home to fit the new wardrobe in! :D

Just picking myself up off the floor :) 19... wow, going through customs must be fun. How do you transport them all? I thought I was overdoing it with 2 cases for a 2+ week cruise. But, I do want choice. Can anyone else beat 19 cases? Where do you store all the cases and clothes on the ship? I am trying out the courier service for one of my bags as I don't fancy crossing London with two cases. But the White Star service is pricey even for just one case. You're my hero! :D

We take nineteen suitcases on a world cruise. Southampton to Southampton. You can take as many cases as you need. However, we do not live in the UK so having done four world cruises and even more segment over the years we used to store our luggage in a storage facility in Southampton as it was cheaper to pay for the year than excess baggage.

After our last world cruise, we had all luggage shipped back home as we do not intend to do a full world cruise again in the near future as we were cruised out.:)

The 19 plus cases arrived back home on a cargo ship. three months after we left our Cunard voyage. However, my next world cruise segment we will still have a lot of luggage and we will just pay the excess although we have 40 kilos each on Emirates.

As a point of interest, 19 cases on a world cruise is pretty average. On our last 2014 world cruise, a couple came on board with 29 and left with 32 suitcases. Most passengers travelling on their own will have at leat 6/ 7 suitcases.

We do NOT stay in the Grills. Most world cruisers do not travel in the Grills. Many are single people and often are in an inside cabin. The rest travel in steerage in an ocean view or a standard balcony cabin.

Our 19 cases are taken away to be stored by our cabin steward. 4 are kept in the cabin and the rest go into storage. Enjoy your cruise and have a safe journey.

Edited by maggiemou

Unbelievably, I have not found a single long dress in any local high street store. Suspect have to go to the major city stores to find anything. Got something online which is always a bit of a risk as some stuff had to be sent back due to fit or fabric.

Earlier post had good idea of gradually building up a cruise wardrobe over time. I am still a novice cruiser, but hope to build up my trips over time... will just need to get a new wardrobe to fit all the new outfits in... and a new home to fit the new wardrobe in! :D

Not sure where you are located, but many shops in the UK will have long dresses in now it is Autumn.

I shop online John Lewis, House of Fraser and they had long dresses on offer this week. I shop a lot online, but I always have my long dresses made to measure so they are all one off's. Have you thought of having a dress made? Do you have a good dressmaker?

Cruise wear can be bought in many shops in the sales in the UK and Southampton is great for cruise wear shopping.

I buy things when I see them whether I need them or not. I call it "just in case" shopping.

I buy just in case I may need it, and seeing as I have been cruising since 1980 I know there is always a strong chance I will get to wear what I have bought. Build up your cruise wear gradually and look out for bargains. You can find nice cheap evening bags on places like Ebay and even long dresses.

Happy shopping till you drop. :D

We take nineteen suitcases on a world cruise. Southampton to Southampton. You can take as many cases as you need. However, we do not live in the UK so having done four world cruises and even more segment over the years we used to store our luggage in a storage facility in Southampton as it was cheaper to pay for the year than excess baggage.

After our last world cruise, we had all luggage shipped back home as we do not intend to do a full world cruise again in the near future as we were cruised out.:)

The 19 plus cases arrived back home on a cargo ship. three months after we left our Cunard voyage. However, my next world cruise segment we will still have a lot of luggage and we will just pay the excess although we have 40 kilos each on Emirates.

As a point of interest, 19 cases on a world cruise is pretty average. On our last 2014 world cruise, a couple came on board with 29 and left with 32 suitcases. Most passengers travelling on their own will have at leat 6/ 7 suitcases.

We do NOT stay in the Grills. Most world cruisers do not travel in the Grills. Many are single people and often are in an inside cabin. The rest travel in steerage in an ocean view or a standard balcony cabin.

Our 19 cases are taken away to be stored by our cabin steward. 4 are kept in the cabin and the rest go into storage. Enjoy your cruise and have a safe journey.

Yes, I hadn't considered the additional purchases as one travels around the world. I dream one day of doing the world cruise and as you say would go for the cheapest cabins so that my money (and I) can go further. Doing the Grills round the world would cost us the price of a house :eek:

Is it my imagination, or have the world cruises extended from 3 months to 4 months in recent years? I thought they went from Jan to Apr, but recently appear to go until May.

Todate I have only done the Transatlantic, and will be interested to see how a cruise with stops compares. The other discussion comparing TA and cruises was interesting as many favour the social side of the cruise itself.

When on a world cruise, do you get off the ship at every port, or sometime stay onboard? What's life like onboard on port days. I may give one of the Croatia stops a miss on my cruise... depends on whether I can find any currency.

Edited by new2crooz

Not sure where you are located, but many shops in the UK will have long dresses in now it is Autumn.

I shop online John Lewis, House of Fraser and they had long dresses on offer this week. I shop a lot online, but I always have my long dresses made to measure so they are all one off's. Have you thought of having a dress made? Do you have a good dressmaker?

Cruise wear can be bought in many shops in the sales in the UK and Southampton is great for cruise wear shopping.

I buy things when I see them whether I need them or not. I call it "just in case" shopping.

I buy just in case I may need it, and seeing as I have been cruising since 1980 I know there is always a strong chance I will get to wear what I have bought. Build up your cruise wear gradually and look out for bargains. You can find nice cheap evening bags on places like Ebay and even long dresses.

Happy shopping till you drop. :D

Someone mentioned earlier that they have seen your amazing gowns on a previous cruise. Yes, John Lewis site is one place I have been looking. When I asked in local stores about dresses, they said I should look around Christmas time for party wear... unfortunately that will be a little late for my cruise. But, I will use this cruise for inspiration on the outfits that work well, and then look out for the bargains at Christmas and in the New Year sales.

Our transatlantic isn't till next July and I've just placed and order with House of Fraser, as they had a great sale on. Bought a couple of pairs of smart chino shorts for the husband and a new dress to start my cruise wardrobe :D

I still do most of my clothes shopping online in UK, as you don't get as much choice (or bargains!) in NZ. Also, it's practically impossible to find a nice selection of smart clothing for young boys. I do have my eye on a smart wool blazer for my son, in John Lewis. Monsoon also have a lovely navy velvet jacket.

Edited by ClanMcLean

Oh dear I am obviously not the right person for cruising!!!

I have gone on 2 week cruises with 10kg hand luggage only.

Next is QM2 and I had planned to take one suitcase for hubby and I to share on a 16 night cruise. Have done 3 months travelling around Europe in the middle of winter with 12kg not a cruise though.

Guess I need to rethink my cruising wardrobe for the next cruise.

Oh dear ! Tara Jane I'm sure you are the right person for cruising ,but not for Cunard ;) ONLY joking !;)

One suitcase for you and hubby for 16 nights , my goodness, I'm a single guy and it's nothing less than two suitcases a hanging suit cover and a roller bag and that's only for an eight day crossing :o

On Cunard too much is not enough ;)

We are planning on taking one suitcase each for a thirteen night cruise and one shared suitcase for our pre cruise stay in New York. We will also take a large bag to use for things we buy whilst on holiday.

We have upgraded to World Traveller Plus on BA so can take 2x23kgs each which we think will be fine for us.

I have outfits for each of the formal nights but on informal nights will wear informal clothes,skirts or trousers with stylish tops no cocktail type dresses for me! My problem is shoes and bags and trying to minimise the number I need on the cruise"........

LOL Bell boy - Well I plan to enjoy my Cunard cruise. Who really notices if someone wears the same outfit on two formal nights????? I've done maybe 15 or so cruises and never noticed nor cared if my co diners wore the same clothes. Perhaps I am not "posh" enough for Cunard, but its booked and paid and I'm going!!!

You folk from USA are so fortunate to have such a large luggage allowance. I recall the year I travelled with 12kg I was sharing a room with a young lady from the USA on a 14 night coach tour. She was having so much difficulty packing at the end of the tour even though she was allowed 2 suitcases and 2 rather large carry ons. In Australia now the norm for carry on has been reduced to 7kg.

Edited by Tara Jane

Hi all,

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, many thanks for all the tips and stories. I am heading out on my first crossing in December, and have started a bit of shopping this week, having popped in to my local TK Maxx for a browse, I found a lovely formal dress at a great price, so feeling very fortunate indeed.

I then went on ebay and searched for the same make, came across a similar style but a bit more sparkly and a beautiful colour so I'm confident it will suit me and have ordered that too

Great, 2 formal frocks where once there were none!

scarlet

Hi all,

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, many thanks for all the tips and stories. I am heading out on my first crossing in December, and have started a bit of shopping this week, having popped in to my local TK Maxx for a browse, I found a lovely formal dress at a great price, so feeling very fortunate indeed.

I then went on ebay and searched for the same make, came across a similar style but a bit more sparkly and a beautiful colour so I'm confident it will suit me and have ordered that too

Great, 2 formal frocks where once there were none!

scarlet

Well done! we should have a like button on here for times like this. :) Carry on shopping. :)

We are planning on taking one suitcase each for a thirteen night cruise and one shared suitcase for our pre cruise stay in New York. We will also take a large bag to use for things we buy whilst on holiday.

We have upgraded to World Traveller Plus on BA so can take 2x23kgs each which we think will be fine for us.

I have outfits for each of the formal nights but on informal nights will wear informal clothes,skirts or trousers with stylish tops no cocktail type dresses for me! My problem is shoes and bags and trying to minimise the number I need on the cruise"........

On BA you used to be able to buy an extra suitcase for £75. ( not flown with them for a couple of years so check it out) Worth doing as it is good to have the extra allowance if you are like me you would never dream of leaving ANY shoes behind;)

or handbags and you never know you may just find yourself buying more shoes as we all often do on our travels. :D

Have a great cruise.

Whilst we are discussing clothing, I notice on my cruise that there is a masquerade ball. What do ladies wear for that and do we all need to take masks? Are there masks to purchase or borrow on the ship? Thanks.

It will be a formal night so just wear normal formal clothes. The masks are optional. A (very) few people wear them all night. Others put them on for the parade around the room. This is still a minority of the people in the ballroom.

If you visit Venice, you will find some lovely masks to buy. You can also buy masks on the ship for around $20, if my memory is correct. The alternative is to make your own to match your dress. You can buy blank masks in craft shops. Cover them with a few layers of tissue paper to match your outfit. Brush this over with watered-down PVA glue to harden it. Then perhaps cover with a decorative net fabric. (Duct tape on the back of the mask holds that down.) Glue on sequins and feathers or fabric flowers.

DSC06253.jpg.168a937e7b766c3edc348c06137c1186.jpg

It will be a formal night so just wear normal formal clothes. The masks are optional. A (very) few people wear them all night. Others put them on for the parade around the room. This is still a minority of the people in the ballroom.

If you visit Venice, you will find some lovely masks to buy. You can also buy masks on the ship for around $20, if my memory is correct. The alternative is to make your own to match your dress. You can buy blank masks in craft shops. Cover them with a few layers of tissue paper to match your outfit. Brush this over with watered-down PVA glue to harden it. Then perhaps cover with a decorative net fabric. (Duct tape on the back of the mask holds that down.) Glue on sequins and feathers or fabric flowers.

Thanks for the information. Beautiful mask.

Hi all,

Thought I would update you on my search for formal clothes for my QV cruise. I was walking past a store in my local shopping centre yesterday when the announced a sale on last seasons formal clothes.

I purchased 1 dress, not long but in between in a lace fabric, 1 sparking red top and jacket, and 1 long black skirt. The amazing thing was the price! All reduced dramatically to about 10% of their original price! I asked why and was told, their HO told them to clear because summer stock was about to arrive! Can't believe my luck!:D So now with my other cruise clothes I am ready to go!

Hi all,

Thought I would update you on my search for formal clothes for my QV cruise. I was walking past a store in my local shopping centre yesterday when the announced a sale on last seasons formal clothes.

I purchased 1 dress, not long but in between in a lace fabric, 1 sparking red top and jacket, and 1 long black skirt. The amazing thing was the price! All reduced dramatically to about 10% of their original price! I asked why and was told, their HO told them to clear because summer stock was about to arrive! Can't believe my luck!:D So now with my other cruise clothes I am ready to go!

I love it! Woo-hoo!

Yes, I have a cruise suitcase - always ready, just in case - filled with dresses and chiffon tops which take up no room at all. Collected over several years and still looking. You can find summer clothes on sale now which are perfect for next year. Year after too.

We took one suitcase and a bag for six weeks in Italy last year which included a cruise. It was the suitcase we had to buy when we bought a painting also in Venice a couple of years ago. Found that it was a bit heavy so went and bought another smaller suitcase so we have one each now.

In the next couple of weeks will be going shopping as the Christmas glamour dresses have arrived.

Looking for a really OTT necklace too. Possibly shoes?:D

I like the idea of having a "cruise suitcase", ready to go at the drop of the hat. Has anyone ever got any really brilliant last minute cruise deals to make use of the "emergency cruise case"?

What we need is more on land occasions to wear all the delightful outfits we buy. Perhaps there is a market for new innovative hotels which give you the cruise/transatlantic experience on dry land. Anyone know of anywhere that offers something similar? London or country hotels would be a good place to start.

I am going to be really overdressed on the next pub crawl :D

Wish lived nearer Southampton so could jump on cruises if opportunities arise.

We booked a cruise for the following year on our last cruise so about a year away. Monday I booked an almost last minute for January. This means I need winter clothes as all other cruises have been early summer. Tights! I haven't worn tights for years and years.

Husband and I agreed ! now it is last minute great deals so the case will come in usefull. With us living in France we can go almost anywhere by train as he doesn't do flying. Actually, we travel a great deal so packing a case is a thing of minutes.

Cheaper the cruise, the more we can go on and those dresses need an outing.

Hi all,

What a great result!

Scarlet