QV: Eastern Mediterranean

Stormlight

We're just back from a 2 week cruise on the Queen Victoria that took us from Rome to Istanbul and it was really great! The food in the Britannia was even better than last time, the service was faultless and the ship in great shape! Even the weather was great (with the exception of maybe a day or two).

However ... we couldn't help but notice a change in passenger attitude from only a few years ago. A lot of the passengers were rude with the staff, they wouldn't greet you back and there is just a general disregard for other people.

And then there's the dress code: while at the start of the cruise almost everyone was making the effort to dress nicely in the evening this changed over the next 2 weeks: jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops in the Britannia, shorts and t-shirt in the Commodore Club in the evening; polo shirt and cagoule (!) in the Veranda restaurant ... seen it all. At the end I would guess that only about 70-75% of people bothered to adhere to the dress code, the rest couldn't be bothered. The dress code was definitely not enforced. Personnaly I think Cunard is making a big mistake here.

We're just back from a 2 week cruise on the Queen Victoria that took us from Rome to Istanbul and it was really great! The food in the Britannia was even better than last time, the service was faultless and the ship in great shape! Even the weather was great (with the exception of maybe a day or two).
Hi Stormlight, very pleased to read that you had such a great time :)

However ... we couldn't help but notice a change in passenger attitude from only a few years ago. A lot of the passengers were rude with the staff, they wouldn't greet you back and there is just a general disregard for other people.
I've seen this on occasions (rarely with Cunard, thankfully). I don't know what is wrong with some people, or who they think they are. What is wrong with manners, politeness and respect? I am reminded of something I overheard many years ago "The crew are working hard, so we don't have to". Haven't these idiots realised you get far better service with a polite request than with a rude demand?

And then there's the dress code: while at the start of the cruise almost everyone was making the effort to dress nicely in the evening this changed over the next 2 weeks: jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops in the Britannia, shorts and t-shirt in the Commodore Club in the evening; polo shirt and cagoule (!) in the Veranda restaurant ... seen it all. At the end I would guess that only about 70-75% of people bothered to adhere to the dress code, the rest couldn't be bothered. The dress code was definitely not enforced. Personnaly I think Cunard is making a big mistake here.
I totally agree with you, I'd like to see the dress-code strictly enforced in the restaurants, bars etc. Again, certain people believe themselves to be "so special" that the "rules don't apply" to them, only to everyone else. Rant over! :)

Again, very pleased you had such a wonderful cruise, happy sailings for the future :).

Edited by pepperrn

Me too. We were on board QV in July and I saw a teenager come into dinner wearing Dock Martin boots covered in paint splashes.

I always dress up. One evening I was on my way back from dinner and I overheard two ladies I passed in the corridor saying I was "Flash" I found that very upsetting.

Next cruise is with Silversea!:)

It's good to hear you had a great time but what a shame about a few rude passengers and those who don't comply with the dress code.

There is so much choice in the Mediterranean cruise market I don't understand why people choose Cunard if they don't intend to dress to the code.

I just got off this cruise as well, although I was only on from Venice to Istanbul (and I am writing this from fabulous Istanbul). This was my first Cunard cruise. This was my take on the people and the dress code:

- I didn't notice anyone being rude to the staff. I did find quite a few people to be loud and overbearing though. It is probably only 5% of the clientele, but they are the ones you notice. I have only taken one other cruise (on RCL out of Peurto Rico). Anyone who thinks Cunard attracts a 'better/classier sort of person' is kidding themselves. They are just older.

- The dress code to me is slightly odd. Formal nights were fine. I bought a new black suit, dinner shirt etc. and dragged them from Australia. It was a bit frustrating that the first formal night was on night 4 of a 7 night cruise. Formal nights were a hoot. I thought everybody looked great. I couldn't care about the few who don't make the effort for whatever reason.

- the informal code to me is the odd one. The only difference is the absence of need for a tie for the men. And here's the thing. Most of the gents on board are pretty old - particularly the fly/cruise Brits ( I am 50). A lot of them seem to arrive at the dining room on 'informal' nights' dressed in 20 - 30 year old sports coats and jackets with mismatching ties and slacks that probably last saw the light of day at the grand kids high school prize giving night. That's what I noticed anyway. On informal night I had more problem with some of the people who were adhering to the dress code than the odd one who wasn't.

- For a med cruises in summer I would have preferred: an extra formal night or two (4 out of 7 would have been good). Change informal to 'neat casual' and require a minimum of long pants (no jeans maybe), and a collared shirt. Smart casual looks a lot better than 'sack of potatoes' daggy informal in my book. Oh, and maybe change the 'after 6' rule to 'after dark'.

All in all, I had a great time though. Looking forward to the next one.

Not at all surprising ! This was a fly cruise and the demographic of the guest from the Med, who board the ship for their vacation changes. Sorry, but don't expect the majority of the Europeans who may have joined the ship in Italy or even Istanbul to comply with dress codes.

Most of us Seasoned Cunarder's try to avoid either of the two Queens based out in the Med, until they return back to their home port .

Edited by Bell Boy

It's good to hear you had a great time but what a shame about a few rude passengers and those who don't comply with the dress code.

There is so much choice in the Mediterranean cruise market I don't understand why people choose Cunard if they don't intend to dress to the code.

With the dress code having a section directed at those who wish "to dress more casually" it simply gives the impression that casual dress is tolerated by Cunard on formal nights.

My view is that by trying to be all things to all men, Cunard is leaving the door open to casual dress and with between 25% to 30% non compliance as reported, which equates to around 500 guests, their ability to police the dress code is questionable even if they desired to do so. Therefore I believe Cunard wish to keep the code formal but are accepting it as a desire not the reality.

M-AR

Most of us Seasoned Cunarder's try to avoid either of the two Queens based out in the Med, until they return back to their home port .

I agree that shipboard experience is greatly favored by where you sail and with whom you sail. DH and I have had the opposite experience as reported by Stormlight.

…A don't think we will be tempted by any Mediterranean cruise. Thank you, for sharing your insight, Bell Boy.

What a shame!

What a shame! What a shame! What a shame! :(

…A don't think we will be tempted by any Mediterranean cruise. Thank you, for sharing your insight, Bell Boy.

What a shame!

What a shame! What a shame! What a shame! :(

That's a great shame, the choice of ports on a Mediterranean cruise is wonderful. We have sailed round trip from Southampton, one way to Venice and a fly cruise Rome to Venice. I would highly recommend any of them. We didn't experience any large scale dress code violations and had a great time.

That's a great shame, the choice of ports on a Mediterranean cruise is wonderful. We have sailed round trip from Southampton, one way to Venice and a fly cruise Rome to Venice. I would highly recommend any of them. We didn't experience any large scale dress code violations and had a great time.

Thank you for adding your opinion, too, Hattie. This is something I value.

I appreciate that your experience was so positive.

Stormlight, really, expressed overall satisfaction with his/her cruise---just noted two rather large issues that were negative---which did change the ambience.

Jimmybean

Interesting thread. We are going on QV in a few weeks. DH is planning to take his kilt for the formal nights rather than his dinner suit. He is planning to wear it with a ghillie shirt on one or two of the informal nights but is worried that not wearing a jacket will mean being turned away from the MDR. He could take his jacket but it would look stupid with the ghillie shirt. Any thoughts. Thanks

DH is planning to take his kilt for the formal nights rather than his dinner suit. He is planning to wear it with a ghillie shirt on one or two of the informal nights but is worried that not wearing a jacket will mean being turned away from the MDR. He could take his jacket but it would look stupid with the ghillie shirt. Any thoughts. Thanks

This is exactly the flexibility I think should be allowed on informal nights (in the Med at least). It is quite possible for men to 'dress up' in various ways in warmer climates without wearing a jacket. BTW, I would be very surprised if you were turned away from the MDR dressed like that. I think the door staff are quite capable of discerning between someone who has actually dressed for dinner (even sans jacket) and someone who has come straight to the MDR from the pool or fitness centre.

I actually took a three piece suit with me and would have enjoyed the flexibility of just wearing the waistcoat with an open neck shirt and a smashing yellow 'ascot' I bought in Venice on informal night. But I was too chicken to leave the jacket behind. So I sweated.

I think it is absurd that some people here will avoid a Med cruise because you might want to wear a kilt with no jacket, or I might want to wear a waistcoat/no jacket on informal night. I suspect they are possibly the ones who, whilst complying, are wearing the same ill fitting jacket they wore on the QE2 in 1986.

Interesting thread. We are going on QV in a few weeks. DH is planning to take his kilt for the formal nights rather than his dinner suit. He is planning to wear it with a ghillie shirt on one or two of the informal nights but is worried that not wearing a jacket will mean being turned away from the MDR. He could take his jacket but it would look stupid with the ghillie shirt. Any thoughts. Thanks

I'm afraid I have only ever noticed kilts worn on formal nights. The current dress code does require a jacket on informal nights so there is a risk he could be turned away.

My fear would be that if we do not stick with jackets there will be further "dressing down" - so I would encourage the jacket code remaining. It appears to me that there are more and more mens jackets on sale these days so I presume it is more fashionable to wear them.

... I think it is absurd that some people here will avoid a Med cruise because you might want to wear a kilt with no jacket, or I might want to wear a waistcoat/no jacket on informal night. I suspect they are possibly the ones who, whilst complying, are wearing the same ill fitting jacket they wore on the QE2 in 1986.
Hi Beagle5,

I wasn't on the QE2 in 1986 ;) , but I do get your general point (above and in an earlier post on this thread) about one or two people wearing clothing which, by its style or cut, was clearly made some years ago, or when the owner was slimmer (it's amazing how clothing shrinks if it is not worn :rolleyes: ).

And, very rarely it must be said, I've occasionally seen a guy (sometimes elderly) who because of infirmity, stroke, mobility issues etc doesn't stand as straight, or look as "dapper", as once he did (I often find they are some of the most interesting people to chat with). We can't all have perfect posture. (I've seen, on almost every trip, at least one guy coming into the dining room in a special wheelchair, who is clearly totally paralysed. They are always wearing a jacket, or "black tie" on formal nights).

However, others, both young and not so, may have purchased their suit or jacket more recently in charity shops, or have inherited it. For example, on one crossing, there was one guy in his early 20s (I'd guess) who was wearing his grandfather's dinner suit (he told us when asked by a lady at our table). It was of a quality of cloth and tailoring that I could never hope to afford new.

We don't all have "model" physiques and posture, as if straight off the catwalk, with height, trim waists, and youth to be able to wear the latest fashions well (I fail on all counts for example, being short, spherical, bald and old).

Many advocates of a more relaxed dress-code often bleat that they don't notice, or care, what others wear. Well done to you for not being one of them, you clearly do notice and do care. Good for you for bucking the trend.

However, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we discuss about the dress-code; jacket v no jacket. As Host Hattie correctly points out, the Cunard dress-code requires one on informal nights. There it is, fait accompli.

Once you allow one or two in without a jacket, then you allow everyone in without a jacket. Some may think they look fine without one (and they may look quite superb, compared to that sack-of-potatoes on the next table) that isn't the issue; a jacket is required. The rules apply to everyone, no-one is more special than anyone else.

Now, as much as I hate to use the cliche, here goes. The Cunard dress-code is well known before booking. Should someone not like wearing a jacket to dinner every night, then I believe that the Mediterranean is not short on cruise ships that do not have a jacket-is-required dress-code.

For myself, I wear a jacket, and most often a tie, whether on the Atlantic, or in hotter climes. Am I "dressed in 20 - 30 year old sports coats and jackets with mismatching ties and slacks"? None of my clothes are that old (yet ;) ), they go to the cleaners regularly, and they were chosen with care. I'd like to think I wouldn't upset you if I wear them to dinner; my only defence would be that I am following the dress-code.

I certainly don't wish to fall out with you over this, life is too short! So this post comes with best wishes to you, and many happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Cheers Pepperrn,

I certainly wasn't trying to have a shot at the infirm/fat/balding. I have my own inevitable decline to look forward to. I also agree that if there is a dress code you should comply with it - and I can't fathom how anyone can get on a Cunard ship without being aware of it (I met a guy in the laundry on the first night who had bought NO jacket on the cruise at all and was hoping the ship would lend him one?)

I read this forum quite a lot before I got on the QV and was aware of the debates. I guess as a first time Cunarder I was trying to give a perspective of how a first timer perceives the dress code and how people comply with it. It was interesting to read Stormlights view and reflect that some people pickup on different things, and are irritated by different clothing violations/crimes! As I stated earlier, my vote would be for more formal nights. My feeling is that having a dress code called 'informal' when it is really 'formal, no tie' is inviting non compliance.

It was interesting to read Stormlights view and reflect that some people pickup on different things, and are irritated by different clothing violations/crimes! As I stated earlier, my vote would be for more formal nights. My feeling is that having a dress code called 'informal' when it is really 'formal, no tie' is inviting non compliance.

I guess you start to pick up on these things the more you cruise with Cunard. Make no mistakes, the cruise was fantastic and I would go back in a heartbeat but I just couldn't help notice the change in passenger attitude.

By the way, I just read a review of the cruise by a first time Cunarder who goes by the name "Swish Flare" who says it all so much better than me. :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=514386

Edited by Stormlight

I noticed something similar on QE last June/July. The first week out of Venice saw most people dressed up at dinner and there were no flagrant dress code violations. However, the second week out of Athens was a different matter.

There was an American man who was so rude to staff and walked through the restaurant in jeans and a shirt I cannot imagine is legally able to be sold (it was that ugly) anywhere in the civilised world. His whole poorly dressed family followed, with his wife in short shorts, a crop top and saddles, while the children came in with jeans and tee shirts. I'm half certain they wore shoes.

I also saw two ladies wearing extremely short skirts one formal night. Just to give a proper impression of how short, I am talking about short enough for me to think they'd mistaken a headband or scrunchie for a skirt. They certainly got a lot of looks from the many people who actually dressed appropriately. Fortunately, everyone I dined with dressed really elegantly. I have dined with a football jersey wearing gentleman once, but that was on Princess.

I noticed a similar downgrading of dress on my first TA following the 2012 Christmas cruise on the QM2. Yes, a lot of people did dress up (including a couple of very formally dressed Scottish men of around 25-30 years of age, kilts and all), but some disregarded the code or were wearing very tatty clothes.

How to account for the disparities? It was suggested to me by a number of people (crew and fellow passengers alike) both times that price had a lot to do with it. The TA and the second week of my Med cruise (sold in 7 day segments) were priced very very cheaply. This consequently attracted people who would not normally travel Cunard.

I live in the Eastern Med where we have high temperatures for eight months of the year. I love to cruise on Cunard so we can dress up. Living in a hot climate one doesn't get the chance to wear a decent outfit, or a pair of lovely shoes as it's just too hot! So for me going cruising is a good excuse to dress up. We always have to fly to join a ship so weight is no reason not to bring all we need. We just pay the excess baggage.

On an evening the ship it is not over hot as the air con is on and even a walk on the deck can be cool when out at sea , so no reason the not dress up in the correct dress code.

I just think many British people go on a Med cruise and think it is sun, sea, and sand, so bring just casual wear, as they rarely get the chance to give summer clothes an outing.

It is just the same as we never get to wear normal day clothes other than summer things.

Formal clothes do not need to be heavy. I am in the process of having new dresses made of a forthcoming cruise in the Caribbean. Bearing in mind we have flights so extra weight to pay for, so I am having light weight clothes and allowing space of my shoes. :D No dressing down for me. :D

I live in the Eastern Med where we have high temperatures for eight months of the year. I love to cruise on Cunard so we can dress up. Living in a hot climate one doesn't get the chance to wear a decent outfit, or a pair of lovely shoes as it's just too hot! So for me going cruising is a good excuse to dress up. We always have to fly to join a ship so weight is no reason not to bring all we need. We just pay the excess baggage.

On an evening the ship it is not over hot as the air con is on and even a walk on the deck can be cool when out at sea , so no reason the not dress up in the correct dress code.

I just think many British people go on a Med cruise and think it is sun, sea, and sand, so bring just casual wear, as they rarely get the chance to give summer clothes an outing.

It is just the same as we never get to wear normal day clothes other than summer things.

Formal clothes do not need to be heavy. I am in the process of having new dresses made of a forthcoming cruise in the Caribbean. Bearing in mind we have flights so extra weight to pay for, so I am having light weight clothes and allowing space of my shoes. :D No dressing down for me. :D

Well said MaggieMou.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Surely, the answer is for the Dress Code to be enforced.

Why is there a reluctance on the part of the Restaurant Manager to be tough on transgressors?

I agree, English Voyager. People are more likely to adhere to rules that are enforced.

It's sounds like there were SO MANY non-conformists on this voyage it would have been a daunting task. I also think staff in the MDR makes an effort to avoid creating a scene---choosing to look the other way instead.

It would have been an interesting question to pose to the restaurant manager, head waiter, or Maitre D. "Why isn't the dress code being enforced?"

Hello.On the Queen Elizabeth we had three separate dress code experiences.On two separate occasions in the Commodore,on non formal nights,two men were refused service until they returned wering a jacket.One accepted at once,one thought it only applied to formal nights but did reluctantly accept.

The third was appaling.Not only formal night but Captains Cocktails.A couple,in my opinion,were not even well enough dressed for imformal night.

Sat outside the Midships Bar thet were passed by at least three officers.The couple then went into the bar where a waiter refused them service.I shook the hand of the waiter.I regretted later not speaking to someone about his commendable conduct and the lack of the taking of responsibility of the officers.

Rodger.

Hello.On the Queen Elizabeth we had three separate dress code experiences.On two separate occasions in the Commodore,on non formal nights,two men were refused service until they returned wering a jacket.One accepted at once,one thought it only applied to formal nights but did reluctantly accept.

The third was appaling.Not only formal night but Captains Cocktails.A couple,in my opinion,were not even well enough dressed for imformal night.

Sat outside the Midships Bar thet were passed by at least three officers.The couple then went into the bar where a waiter refused them service.I shook the hand of the waiter.I regretted later not speaking to someone about his commendable conduct and the lack of the taking of responsibility of the officers.

Rodger.

Thank you for sharing this story, Rodger.

My experience (over 100 days on Cunard ships) includes seeing very few dress code infractions myself. Reading postings (like this thread) has been discouraging. Your story offers quite a bit of hope.

I rather like the dress code and would like to see it maintained.

Jimmybean

Not at all surprising ! This was a fly cruise and the demographic of the guest from the Med, who board the ship for their vacation changes. Sorry, but don't expect the majority of the Europeans who may have joined the ship in Italy or even Istanbul to comply with dress codes.

Just my thought. We did one of these fly cruises the summer before last. Never again. The very nature of the cruise, fly to port, fly back from port attracts the people who have done this for years. Substitute QV (or QE next year) for a package deal in a hotel in Magaluf or the Costa de Sol, (the price would be little different) and is it any wonder that standards are slipping.

And just today we get a communication from Cunard telling us that they now offer the choice of 7,9,12,14 and 21 nights boarding at Barcellona, Venice, Rome and Athens.

Look out for the first glamorous granny competition.

David