Jacket Off At Dinner Precedence?

robbie_3

Just a further thought, if things get too hot in the Caribbean, although less than ideal, are there any circumstances where it is considered acceptable to take a tuxedo or sports jacket off in the dining room and place this over the back of a chair?

On our recent transatlantic many men wore the jacket to the table, then took it off and hung it on the back of the chair on informal nights. Can't recall whether or not it happened on formal nights, but guess not so much.

Can't imagine for one minute you would be the only person doing so in the Caribbean. There has to be some common sense applied.

Unless you have a medical condition or simply overheat due to size or metabolism, the ship maintains a pleasant temperature in all of its dining rooms therefore you should not be uncomfortable in a suit or formal jacket. Therefore, while some may do it, it is not considered proper.

Just a further thought, if things get too hot in the Caribbean, although less than ideal, are there any circumstances where it is considered acceptable to take a tuxedo or sports jacket off in the dining room and place this over the back of a chair?

Temps were kept pretty cool, so even in the Caribbean you were very comfortable in your finest. Going out on deck, well that's when it gets sticky.

The temperature inside the ship is set at 68/70 f no matter where you are in the world, So there is no need to undress in the dinning room

The Britannia restaurant on deck level 3 is always to hot for my husband and he does remove his jacket. Lower level deck 2 is cooler but not always. We are diamond members and have always had issues with the Britannia temperatures. Be comfortable and remove your jacket if you are hot.

Typically the evenings in the Caribbean (port days) are informal. The formal evenings are en route to and from New York.

Having said that, I've never felt the need to remove my jacket regardless of the dress code.

Edited by Underwatr

At a wedding reception I attended this summer, a couple of guys arriving at the large table I was sat at removed their jackets before sitting down to eat, and placed them over the backs of their chairs.

A young lady on my left quietly said to me "If only they realised how much that says about them".

The ship is air-conditioned. Men are required to wear a jacket in the main restaurants. 'nuff said.

Edited by pepperrn

Hello,many years ago this working class lad was lucky enough to qualify for a Golf tournament held at a very very posh club.The club house was an old baronial mansion.It was an incredidbly hot day,and after showering changing and still sweating we entered the dining room( no air conditioning ).

One person was overheard asking the secretary if we could remove are jackets.A terribly haughty voice said most definitely not gentlemen.Now a commited Cunarder,although still a working class lad,I fully concur.Keep up the standards chaps.

Rodger.

My thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies. Earlier this year I noticed sitting in Britannia the higher level felt increasingly hot on occasion, more so than the lower level. Perhaps it was because hot air rises or just as likely the amount of carbs consumed during the meal. I'm a regular gym user and there are no medical issues. I felt it would have been helpful in such circumstances to remove a jacket especially if informal. However I can remember presenting a particular complex case at the court of appeal on a sweltering day, and having such a request denied followed by a heightened risk of case papers thrown in my direction, such is the importance of etiquette :). The dilemma continues....

I have always found the Dining room on the cool side, my wife always takes a shawl with her when going into dinner. I feel that there is no need to remove a jacket, due to the heat.:cool:

Sorry to sound Blunt, but there is no need to do this in an air conditioned venue. You mention the caribbean as if you are dining out on a beach board walk or alfresco on the deck of the ship.

I can never understand what it is with us guys ...always looking for any excuse not to wear a jacket . Come on guys, support our ladies and make the evenings a sense of occasion . By all means hang a jacket over the back of a chair on 'any other ship' but not on our Cunard ;) Maybe the head waiter/MD won't take you to task, but if you were dining at a table 'every evening' with me I might ;)

Of course, Common sense prevails when it's a deck buffet or deck party.

Edited by Bell Boy

Thank you again for all comments frank and helpful. I personally prefer to wear a jacket wherever possible but I would certainly like to reassure bellboy that he is unlikely ever to encounter my dilemma as I only ever dine with my lovely wife ;)

As this thread relates to dress rules, here's my question:

Why is the dress rule for men way more strict than that for women ? (even when the dress rule for the evening is informal).

Men have to wear a jacket even on an informal night, but women can wear almost anything because on the cunard web site it says " whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.", i.e. pretty much anything you like, because the word "equivalent" is subjective.

And on formal nights its the same, i.e. for men it's tux/dinner jacket or dark suit, i.e. it's quite prescriptive, but for women it's evening or cocktail dress or trouser suit. Trouser suits are not formal, and neither are cocktail dresses. If men have to wear a dinner jacket, then the equivalent (subjective term I know) is evening dress for women; it's not a cocktail dress and it certainly is not a trouser suit.

I agree with keeping your jacket on: however what is the rule if ALL the men on your table wish to remove their jackets? Do we women say no?

babs, you all get up, just move to another table and have a girly evening ;)

That'll teach em . :D

I've always thought that if the men are given the option to wear a dark suit, then women have the option of wearing a cocktail dress rather than a gown. A trouser suit doesn't sound right to me either.

That's a good point about the dark suit option, i.e tux & evening dress or dark suit & cocktail dress.

If it was up to me, I'd make every evening formal (properly, i.e. dinner jacket and evening dresses only). And top hats, capes and a cane whilst I'm thinking about it !!

That's a good point about the dark suit option, i.e tux & evening dress or dark suit & cocktail dress.

If it was up to me, I'd make every evening formal (properly, i.e. dinner jacket and evening dresses only). And top hats, capes and a cane whilst I'm thinking about it !!

Love the idea of passengers walking the prominade with a cane. In my younger days a colleague of mine in his mid twenties inherited a lovely silver tipped cane, he carried it off perfectly.

Babs135 made a good point, that post was most certainly worthy of a like button.:)