Carnival Comfort and staggered check in experience.

Indytraveler83

Hi everyone! Just got back from the Dream and wanted to share my experience on both of these programs since they've been a hot topic on the boards recently. (I'll have a more extensive review later once I get pics uploaded)

Staggered check in (New Orleans at 11 am) Outside of the port it went rather poorly. There was a huge group of people waiting to get into the terminal, and it crowded up the area badly. Usually a porter greets us on the way in and we leave our luggage without hardly breaking stride. This time we found ourself wading into a crowd hunting for a porter. We ended up dropping our luggage onto a cart manned by a Carnival employee after some searching.

Once we got into the terminal things got better. Lines moved briskly and no one seemed to be waiting long for anything. The Dream started boarding around 10:45, so we never even sat down.

Verdict: Draw. They've really only moved the confusion outside. One thing that might help is larger windows. We had a 10:30 to 11 window, left early and arrived a little after 11. Parking, shuttles, taxis and other things vary so much, it's hard to make a 30 minute window. Hopefully this all works better once people are used to it.

Carnival Comfort: Our room steward met us shortly after the safety briefing on day 1. He showed us the clipboard, described his working hours and asked us to please check off the services we would like. (He did not seem to imply that either 1 or 2 devices per day were customary). Due to reports here, I bluntly asked "Can we have both morning and evening service?" His response was "Yes, anything you want, I get."

We ended up actually only choosing morning service, as turn down service hours felt like they may interrupt us more than really help. We asked him for extra towels, since we shower often on cruises. He kept extra towels stocked all week for us, and even brought a spare blanket that we did not request, but was greatly appreciated on a few chilly nights.

Verdict: We liked it. We tend to not catch our stewards very often, and last cruise never even met ours. The idea of them being instructed to meet you and offer customized service was very appealing. The extra towels and blanket made things far more comfortable than the last cruise was. I felt like it gave them a chance to take special requests from day one without the guest having to hunt them down. We never were shorted a towel animal and our room seemed as clean as always, despite the daily visits. So it worked well for us.

Thanks for the info. My family and our friends sail on Sunday. I was really curious about the timed check in. we all have the 10:30am - 11am check in time. We planned on parking at the Fulton Parking Deck at 930am this day.

That's probably a better plan than we had. We had the same checkin and arrived at 10:10 or so. We totally underestimated the time it took to load up the shuttle and then drive into the port. It does take about 45-60 minutes to get from their garage to walking into the port.

That's probably a better plan than we had. We had the same checkin and arrived at 10:10 or so. We totally underestimated the time it took to load up the shuttle and then drive into the port. It does take about 45-60 minutes to get from their garage to walking into the port.

For others that have parked at Fulton, would you say that's an average time to get from the garage to the port? My understanding is the Fulton parking garage is across the street from the port. Can't you park and just walk across the street? Not sure we'll want to park there if you have to wait almost an hour to drive one block! Sailing out on Monday...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. One question, how could you tell it was ok to pass the line, is there structure at all? I don't want to cut in front of anyone unintentionally. :o

Hi everyone! Just got back from the Dream and wanted to share my experience on both of these programs since they've been a hot topic on the boards recently. (I'll have a more extensive review later once I get pics uploaded)

Staggered check in (New Orleans at 11 am) Outside of the port it went rather poorly. There was a huge group of people waiting to get into the terminal, and it crowded up the area badly. Usually a porter greets us on the way in and we leave our luggage without hardly breaking stride. This time we found ourself wading into a crowd hunting for a porter. We ended up dropping our luggage onto a cart manned by a Carnival employee after some searching.

Once we got into the terminal things got better. Lines moved briskly and no one seemed to be waiting long for anything. The Dream started boarding around 10:45, so we never even sat down.

Verdict: Draw. They've really only moved the confusion outside. One thing that might help is larger windows. We had a 10:30 to 11 window, left early and arrived a little after 11. Parking, shuttles, taxis and other things vary so much, it's hard to make a 30 minute window. Hopefully this all works better once people are used to it.

Carnival Comfort: Our room steward met us shortly after the safety briefing on day 1. He showed us the clipboard, described his working hours and asked us to please check off the services we would like. (He did not seem to imply that either 1 or 2 devices per day were customary). Due to reports here, I bluntly asked "Can we have both morning and evening service?" His response was "Yes, anything you want, I get."

We ended up actually only choosing morning service, as turn down service hours felt like they may interrupt us more than really help. We asked him for extra towels, since we shower often on cruises. He kept extra towels stocked all week for us, and even brought a spare blanket that we did not request, but was greatly appreciated on a few chilly nights.

Verdict: We liked it. We tend to not catch our stewards very often, and last cruise never even met ours. The idea of them being instructed to meet you and offer customized service was very appealing. The extra towels and blanket made things far more comfortable than the last cruise was. I felt like it gave them a chance to take special requests from day one without the guest having to hunt them down. We never were shorted a towel animal and our room seemed as clean as always, despite the daily visits. So it worked well for us.

For others that have parked at Fulton, would you say that's an average time to get from the garage to the port? My understanding is the Fulton parking garage is across the street from the port. Can't you park and just walk across the street? Not sure we'll want to park there if you have to wait almost an hour to drive one block! Sailing out on Monday...

It is across the street, but the convention center is in between the garage and the port itself. And the convention center is huge. The port isn't very friendly for foot traffic, and it can take forever to get in whether you take their shuttle, a taxi or drive in yourself. I find that the Fulton shuttles take a back way in that's quicker than cars and taxis.

Just plan on transportation into the port taking much longer than you want. Especially if you are on the Dream and the NCL Dawn is loading at the same time. Those two ships push a lot of traffic into the port.

In my experience the fastest way is using Fulton, even if it takes longer than you'd like.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. One question, how could you tell it was ok to pass the line, is there structure at all? I don't want to cut in front of anyone unintentionally. :o

I assume you mean the crowd outside the port. There wasn't much/any organization to the crowd, but there was a gap between them and the terminal entrance, and if you walked into that gap, a Carnival employee would approach and ask for your boarding pass, then either permit entry or tell you to go back and wait (if it wasn't your time yet)

It sounds confusing, but once we got through the crowd it wasn't at all.

Ah ok, I was picturing a crowd like Black Friday staring at the windows :) Glad it is more civilized than that :D I will still prepare myself ahead of time for the dirty looks that will come. Thanks again for the heads up!!

I assume you mean the crowd outside the port. There wasn't much/any organization to the crowd, but there was a gap between them and the terminal entrance, and if you walked into that gap, a Carnival employee would approach and ask for your boarding pass, then either permit entry or tell you to go back and wait (if it wasn't your time yet)

It sounds confusing, but once we got through the crowd it wasn't at all.

I assume the crowds will die down more as time goes on. For one, this was only the second sailing that was staggered. We all got notice rather late in the process, and I doubt everyone took the email seriously (no one ever took the past emails seriously). So unless you are on CC or another site, you probably had no idea they were cracking down.

I was also on one of the two sailings affected by Mardi Gras traffic, so what I saw was likely worst case scenario as far as traffic volume and unpredictable arrival times. It likely only gets better from there.

The Fulton Street garage worked perfectly for us when we sailed on the Dream back in October. They will shuttle you to/from the ship for free. And this came in very handy, as it was pouring rain after we parked our car. It would be quite a walk to get to the ship from the garage. At least 30-min or so, even though it's across the street from the port. Use the shuttle! So much easier!

This sounds great actually! I haven't been very active the last couple months. Does anyone have a post/article where I can read more about this? It wasn't like this on our last cruise.

So do they leave a copy of Fun Times during the morning service? And what about towel animals? If daughter enjoys those.

So do they leave a copy of Fun Times during the morning service? And what about towel animals? If daughter enjoys those.

The towel animals were done during morning service. The fun times is either slipped under your door or placed in the little mailbox slot next to your door (for ships that have those) during the evening.

The steward is also still available if needed. We had a issue with a shower drain clogging and flooding our bathroom. He had it repaired and then cleaned up the bathroom and gave us fresh towels then too.

Edited by Indytraveler83

I am fine with one servicing a day, I always liked both but figured they were being overworked....my biggest issue is beach towels, If I pick morning service will they bring double? I guess if you could share your experience that would be great!

The towel animals were done during morning service. The fun times is either slipped under your door or placed in the little mailbox slot next to your door (for ships that have those) during the evening.

The steward is also still available if needed. We had a issue with a shower drain clogging and flooding our bathroom. He had it repaired and then cleaned up the bathroom and gave us fresh towels then too.

I am fine with one servicing a day, I always liked both but figured they were being overworked....my biggest issue is beach towels, If I pick morning service will they bring double? I guess if you could share your experience that would be great!

I don't think the steward is able to provide extra beach towels. He provided us with extra regular towels, but not those.

We saved our beach towels for shore excursions and just checked them in and out from the towel huts on the ship. This was easier for us anyways, and meant we didn't have to lug wet towels to and from our room.

Ah, good to know....I guess we will either do that or select evening service. Thanks!:cool:

I don't think the steward is able to provide extra beach towels. He provided us with extra regular towels, but not those.

We saved our beach towels for shore excursions and just checked them in and out from the towel huts on the ship. This was easier for us anyways, and meant we didn't have to lug wet towels to and from our room.

We were on the same cruise.

Had 11-1130am check in time and because of traffic arrived at 1130am.

Did not have to wait to enter terminal, had a 10-15 minute wait for each of check in and security. Then walked straight onto the ship.

From time we dropped off luggage with porter until hitting the gangway MAYBE 45 minutes total.

Worked like a dream and VIP lines didnt move any faster than the regular line while we were present.

Staggered check-in was great for us. Only folks we heard complain were also the ones who continue to show up hours early hoping for an early start.

The fervent request to NOT BLOCK the stairwells on the day folks disembark gets the same attention as the check in time now gets.

Guess you chalk it up to illiterate (cannot read their own documents), lazy or arrogant.

Funny you mention that. On our final day we received the standard notice of how disembarkation would work. It asked priority/FTTF to meet in the dining room at 6:15 AM, that the ship was expected to dock at 6 AM and we would likely be able to disembark around 7 AM. The writing was clear and there was no question they were asking us to meet 45 minutes prior to disembarkation.

When we arrived there was a woman throwing a temper tantrum, saying the paper told her she was going to be leaving at 6:15 and didn't understand why they were holding us. The staff member tried to calm her and explain what the note said and that customs had to clear the ship first, but she insisted that her paper told her that priority passengers left at 6:15 AM.

I started to ignore her till I heard this priceless gem "You made we wait outside to get on the boat, and now you won't let me off! I'm never coming back."

Priceless. Try reading people... try reading.