Changes coming to Onboard Trivia

meatloafsfan

I, too, have seen a lot of cheating at trivia on several cruises. I stopped going to trivia years ago because I can't stand cheaters. I found the cheaters really took all the pleasure out of playing for me. The people Googling answers on their phones were all over the place the last time I attended.:rolleyes:

What they need to do is limit the people playing together. It is absolutely unfair to allow a table of six people to pool their knowledge/guesses when others are playing solo.

I agree SO MUCH with this. On our last cruise there was a group of seven who won almost every trophy. My wife and I stopped going after the third day it was so ridiculous.

Spoke with one of the fun squad members aboard the Pride Journey cruises and he told me about some changes that are coming with regards to Trivia.

Apparently, they are going to be giving tablets/ipads to the fun squad that will house an almost endless list of trivia categories and questions.

The staff member will be able to select the category and then will get 20 random questions out of hundreds. This should mean that there will be a lot less question repeats and will allow for new trivia categories to be added.

I'll believe it when I see it. But if true it's long overdue. How many times is the topic going to come up when everyone says there's cheating going on, as well as the same questions asked every cruise.

Each time TV theme song trivia came on, I entered Synchopated Clock On line 1 before the game even started.

Why do people object to groups of up to 6 playing trivia? That's been the rule on every ship and every line I've sailed on. You are always welcome to form groups with others to make up your total of 6.

Personally, I think that playing with a group of people can be fun, but it's not always a sure sign you will win. My spouse and I generally play by ourselves and we have won numerous bottles of champagne on HAL and Princess (which is SO much better than those SOAS from Carnival.) And my brother played sports trivia alone on Carnival and beat a bar-ful of guys half his age! (We all got a kick out of that!)

I always Trivia is like Golf. you are only cheating yourself if you cheat. I did trivia one time and saw people writing the answers down before they even finished reading the question. while there are some questions i could see that happenning on i don't think 20 is that number. i played for fun but no one likes to play a rigged game.

To be fair this isn't cheating.... Whether you learned the answers last week or 20 years ago you have the answer in your head. It's not the passengers fault they are repeating questions.

I do agree about the googling of answers though. It'll probably be more widespread now that the internet plans are cheap.

They had iPads last October too but iirc it was only for the song trivia.

I do think there is a good deal of wrong answers too. Hopefully this will correct that

Your experiences remind me of an issue my father had with a particular trivia answer on our first Carnival Pride cruise. My DH wrote about it in his cruise "memoir" here on CC years ago...

(now to see if I can figure out how to cross-quote from a different thread:rolleyes:...)

(apparently, I can't:o. So, I've just cut-and-pasted the relevant chunk of the post below. )

On previous ships, Dad has almost put the host in a headlock while arguing the answer to a trivia question. I remember this one clearly – the trivia question was “What countries participated in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War?” More trivia questions followed. At the end of the questions, we began going over answers. When this answer came up, the host said “the answer is North Vietnam and the United States”. Well, Dad almost busted an artery while disputing this answer.

“I was at that party, and there were more than just those two.” he said to the host.

He wasn’t rude, and didn’t yell, but he was very insistent that the answer was more complex than just these two countries. The host insisted that the answer written on her sheet was “North Vietnam and the United States”.

The argument here is that there were at least 3 countries involved in the Tet Offensive – North Vietnam, South Vietnam, and the United States. If you want to argue that North and South Vietnam are two halves of the same country, then the accepted answer shouldn’t say “North Vietnam”, it should just say “Vietnam”.

If anyone reading this happens to be a Vietnam vet – first of all “Thank you”. Dad was an Army grunt from ‘66 to ‘67, 9th Infantry Division.

So, the host awarded him the points, and he won his “vessel on a trestle” trophy. This isn’t the only time that we’ve had issues with trivia games, it just happens to be one that I remember. Wifey’s family is very trivia-competitive, and I just sit back and drink. One of the old stand-by games at the family gatherings is Trivial Pursuit (all editions). You wouldn’t think that Trivial Pursuit is a lively game, but it is in this family.

You're talking to a guy who had to pass a trivia test just to be allowed to take a test to be allowed to take a test to apply for his job. Fortunately, my wife isn't into trivia so our marriage remains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're talking to a guy who had to pass a trivia test just to be allowed to take a test to be allowed to take a test to apply for his job. Fortunately, my wife isn't into trivia so our marriage remains.

Wow:eek:, what job is that, if you don't mind my asking?

I, too, have seen a lot of cheating at trivia on several cruises. I stopped going to trivia years ago because I can't stand cheaters. I found the cheaters really took all the pleasure out of playing for me. The people Googling answers on their phones were all over the place the last time I attended.:rolleyes:

Exactly! Either googling on their phone or writing the answers down as they're called out. This happened to us last year on the Breeze. It makes me upset to play fairly and have a group of cheaters win the SOAS.

I think I enjoy games like Charades or bean bag toss better. Can't cheat at that!

I'm a diplomat. The test isn't just trivia, it also has a writing section and personality test. But the major part is all kinds of trivia about history or technology or math.

Oh yeah, there certainly is a part of the Foreign Service Exam that's like a big trivia test. Maybe that's why my husband and I are pretty good at trivia. He was a Foreign Service Officer for over 30 years and I passed the exam but decided not to join the Foreign Service too as I did not want us to be a tandem couple.

I'm a diplomat. The test isn't just trivia, it also has a writing section and personality test. But the major part is all kinds of trivia about history or technology or math.

Cool.:)

I am another avid trivia fan. Looking forward to my first time on Carnival in November. Very happy to hear they are taking steps to prevent repeater's from knowing the answers in advance.:)

I like playing both team and individual contests. The team play is a major part of socializing with other passengers. We have made some great friends thru the years joining up with fellow passenger's to form a team.:)

As for the arguing over the official answer...

I think the best way I have seen that issue handled was on the Celebrity Silhouette cruise I was on a few years ago. The host gave the usual spiel that the answer supplied to him or her was the only answer that counted. However, the CD on that cruise gave anyone who disputed the answer to prove it to him later on, and if proven, he would give public credit to the person the next day on his 'morning show', as well as award them a duplicate winning prize. In addition they would correct the 'official answer' on their sheets.:cool:

Trivia is meant to be a fun and sometimes educational activity, played for very cheap prizes. The main benefit is satisfaction in how much you know.

Also for "bragging rights".:p

I pity those that feel so competitive, that they will cheat to win.:(

I'm sitting here at my computer and I count 19 "ships on a stick" that I have brought home from our past cruises. I can guarantee that I have given away more than that! On our last cruise, we were walking back to our cabin after winning the Beatles trivia game and saw this 5-yr old young man telling his parents "you just follow me. I know where we're going". I thought he was so cute that I handed him my SOAS trophy. His eyes lit up so big! Kids are what life is all about!

That was very nice of you. I see no reason to have more than one of a ship and try to give it to a kid in a wheelchair.

I was just on the Miracle 13 day cruise where there was a group of 5 or 6 playing almost all the trivia games. By day 2 they won almost all the trivia games and were very obnoxious about it. Everybody was rooting for them to lose and quietly cheered when they didn't win.

Wifey’s family is very trivia-competitive, and I just sit back and drink. One of the old stand-by games at the family gatherings is Trivial Pursuit (all editions). You wouldn’t think that Trivial Pursuit is a lively game, but it is in this family.

One of my favorite questions from Trivial Pursuit is "What is Sir Isaac Newton's dog's name?" My friend would get that question while I would get "What is Mickey Mouse's girlfriend's name?". :D:D

According to uncle google- it is pink. Coincidentally this led me to learn also hippos milk is pretty pink.

Actually, according to Google, it's not. As a yak begins to feed, the milk is going to be tainted with blood, giving it a pinkish hue. As the feeding goes on, and the baby yak gets weaned, the milk will gradually become it's regular white-ish color.

The problem with trivia on Carnival, and perhaps on other lines as well, is that the answers may be based on misconceptions, or urban legends, or just plain wrong. You have to answer with what you think they may be looking for, not necessarily the right answer. I'm hoping these new questions will have more correct answers.

We like Beatles trivia as it's one where my wife can get all the answers right. They could even go with more obscure Beatles songs, and my wife would probably still get them all right.

We walked off of the Conquest last year with 6 ships on a stick, I think, and we don't cheat at trivia.

What they need to do is limit the people playing together. It is absolutely unfair to allow a table of six people to pool their knowledge/guesses when others are playing solo.

:p

I agree as well. My wife and I will both go to trivia together, but we will play solo, to the point where she will put a drink menu between her answer sheet and mine so that I can't copy her (particularly when it's a music trivia which she does a lot better at then me).

It's about time they update the trivia. I swear to you they are still using CDs of songs (like movie theme songs) they used 15 years ago. Our Fun Squad guy had CDs that skipped, etc. Carnival can afford to subscribe to on line trivia sites that generate new trivia questions and answers daily. And as far as arguing an answer: our Fun Squad gal would not accept 26.2 miles as the length of a marathon because her sheet said 26 miles...even though the correct answer is 26.2 and people on the opposing team told her that was the correct answer. Some Questions that have been repeatedly asked over the course of a year or years that no one ever corrects the answers in the great trivia book of questions and answers that they use makes it even more frustrating. I am a big trivia player and even I can't handle going any more because I've heard so many of the questions over & over again it feels like I'm cheating! LOL

It's about time they update the trivia. I swear to you they are still using CDs of songs (like movie theme songs) they used 15 years ago. Our Fun Squad guy had CDs that skipped, etc. Carnival can afford to subscribe to on line trivia sites that generate new trivia questions and answers daily. And as far as arguing an answer: our Fun Squad gal would not accept 26.2 miles as the length of a marathon because her sheet said 26 miles...even though the correct answer is 26.2 and people on the opposing team told her that was the correct answer. Some Questions that have been repeatedly asked over the course of a year or years that no one ever corrects the answers in the great trivia book of questions and answers that they use makes it even more frustrating. I am a big trivia player and even I can't handle going any more because I've heard so many of the questions over & over again it feels like I'm cheating! LOL

If I was grading my own--or someone else's--trivia sheet, and someone put 26.2 for that question, I would accept it as right and not even question the answer, as it's right and the 26 is just the rounded number. Maybe I'm in the wrong for this, but it's a game for fun.

If I was grading my own--or someone else's--trivia sheet, and someone put 26.2 for that question, I would accept it as right and not even question the answer, as it's right and the 26 is just the rounded number. Maybe I'm in the wrong for this, but it's a game for fun.

Yes, the game is supposed to be fun but should be accurate as well. Otherwise, the answer to Pi would just be "3". ;)