$20.00 surcharge for Lobster Tail???

Cruisefriends

It is the Steakhouse selections in Main dining room. I have seen this option for over 2 years even on ships without a steakhose. Yes,there is no longer lobster served on cruuses 5 days or less during elegant night. This started October 2015. As for steak, there is the flat iron offered at no charge every night in mdr.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship.

After eating the real thing straight from the ocean I'll never eat one that's been frozen and served on a ship again!

Yes, they charge for the lobster now.

I'm from New,York City and went to boarding school in Massachusetts and college in Connecticut, so I know Maine lobsters very well and they are delicious. In fact now that I live in Texas I get it next day aired to me. However that isn't an option on a cruise. While the rock lobsters offered are not the best they are tasty and $20 isn't much money.

I'm from Florida and even I know a good lobster and they are not on a cruise ship. It's not possible to get a good one. I did the lobster on the elegant nights. But on short cruise we don't miss it that much anyways. I prefer a nice good steak anyways.

So not much of a lose for us.

Edited by Kudos2Fly

Lobsters are gone on cruises of 5 night or less.

Carnival offers steak house menu lobster for the up charge. The other lobster is there, it's still good (it was last night aboard the Magic) but it's small. Our newly met table mate ate 6. He bragged that 11 was his record...

Edited by BallFour4

The $20 OPTION is just that. An option. It is from the Steakhouse. On 7 day cruises you still get the small lobster and shrimp on elegant night for free. The $20 ones are available every night.

My table mates had the $20 lobster/filet from the Steakhouse and I had the filet. They were all delicious and worth it IMHO. In fact, we ordered it on multiple nights. You can still get prime rib and such free.

So if you want Maine lobster - it's $20 from the Steakhouse. Langostino or whatever lobster it is on elegant night on longer cruises is still no extra charge.

7 night cruise, it's not an elegant night, I want a lobster tail, are they going to bring me a free small tail or charge me $20 for one from the steak house? Or is there a choice for a small tail or $20 steak house tail?

If it's not elegant night your only choice is to buy one for the $20 NOT get a smaller one

For less than $20, you can buy 2 tails at a grocery store...cook them yourself! So easy!

Except that's not an option when you're on a cruise.

As others have said, if you want it, you CAN get it. You don't have to. And it's no secret that Maine lobster is far superior as are many local fares that are offered on a ship. But for $20, it's not bad from all I've heard from. I don't eat lobster, but when they were included on the shorter cruises people were scaring them down plenty.

If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship.

After eating the real thing straight from the ocean I'll never eat one that's been frozen and served on a ship again!

AGREE! The lobster tail is frozen and overcooked and chewy! I wait for our yearly treks to Maine to get lobster!

7 night cruise, it's not an elegant night, I want a lobster tail, are they going to bring me a free small tail or charge me $20 for one from the steak house? Or is there a choice for a small tail or $20 steak house tail?

Before they began with the Steakhouse selections, you had no option at all. Get it on elegant night or don't get it. I fail to see how this is an issue. If you want it for free, get it on elegant night. If you want lobster tail on any other night, order the Steakhouse selection. Carnival isn't taking anything away here, rather they are offering additional options.

We can't all get to Maine as often as we want to eat lobster. Although I agree that frozen Maine lobster doesn't even seem like it's the same food as the succulent fresh Maine lobster I enjoyed several times on my visit to Maine (just as those pathetic frozen warm-water tails in the MDR are absolutely nothing like the Abaco lobster that I spear and have cooked for me about 15 minutes later on my visits to Abaco;)), if I want lobster (which I often do), I will pay for the best lobster I can get where I am. Even if that's frozen lobster, if it's handled and cooked properly, it's better than no lobster, IMO.

Nothing frozen ever beats the fresh version of the same thing. But sometimes frozen is all you can get. I'd rather have the frozen Maine lobster tail from the Steakhouse with the upcharge than the crappy flat iron steak, for example, for free.

Free or $20, the real question is why are you looking to eat a cockroach from the ocean?

If you were standing next a dumpster filled to the brim and a 2' long cockroach or spider or scorpion climbed out, would your first thoughts be "I'm so GOING TO EAT it"?

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are the bugs of the ocean and they're bottom dwellers. Their world is rife with the excrement of all the life of the ocean + any waste our species wantonly discards/pumps into the ocean.

Be and ware. We are what we eat.

Edited by Viesczy

Free or $20, the real question is why are you looking to eat a cockroach from the ocean?

If you were standing next a dumpster filled to the brim and a 2' long cockroach or spider or scorpion climbed out, would your first thoughts be "I'm so GOING TO EAT it"?

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are the bugs of the ocean and they're bottom dwellers. Their world is rife with the excrement of all the life of the ocean + any waste our species wantonly discards/pumps into the ocean.

Jeez. ...really???? You're a comedian, right? Bahahaha. You don't eat shellfish, fine but to liken them to roaches is ignorant.

:rolleyes:

OK, fine, I'm a cockroach of the sea.:rolleyes: What are you? are you a fungus (eat any mushrooms?)? are you a slug (eat escargot?)? are you mold (ever eat cheese?)?

ETA: Ever eat any vegetable or grain that has been fertilized with manure? I bet you have.;) Is not that food's environment "rife with excrement"? What does that make you?

Edited by ShakyBeef

:rolleyes:

OK, fine, I'm a cockroach of the sea.:rolleyes: What are you? are you a fungus (eat any mushrooms?)? are you a slug (eat escargot?)? are you mold (ever eat cheese?)?

I love it...you are too funny!:D

If you are going to say they eat nasty stuff from the ocean floor, do you eat veggies fertilized with cow manure? You are what you eat according to you.

I love all of the lobster snobs on this thread ! I am surrounded by the Great Lakes, the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth,and home to some best fresh water fish in the world. I regularly eat perch, walleye, salmon, white fish , etc. that I have caught 2-3 hours prior. I don't compare this fish to every fish meal I eat on a cruise ship or almost anywhere else. You can't, it doesn't compare. Nothing beats fresh, but it does not make the other fish bad, just not as good. I still enjoy fish on the ship and other places.

Edited by lablover61

If you are going to say they eat nasty stuff from the ocean floor, do you eat veggies fertilized with cow manure? You are what you eat according to you.

Exactly. Post clearly meant to rile people up. Nothing we eat comes from the cleanest of beginnings. Please.

Yes. Everyone is so thrilled with themselves about having had live Maine lobster. Good for you. The ship is not serving that. And if It's sooo beneath you, don't get it.

I love all of the lobster snobs on this thread ! I am surrounded by the Great Lakes, the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth,and home to some best fresh water fish in the world. I regularly eat perch, walleye, salmon, white fish , etc. that I have caught 2-3 hours prior. I don't compare this fish to every fish meal I eat on a cruise ship or almost anywhere else. You can't, it doesn't compare. Nothing beats fresh, but it does not make the other fish bad just not as good.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk