Motion Sickness

BeadedGoblets

We've always carried the motion sickness pills from walmart , like 4 bucks for a gazillion. We've had occasion on some cruises to use one or two and I'm extremely prone to motion sickness. On the worst cruise ( as far as motion sickness goes) last April , the Fascination was like a seesaw on Easter Sunday. Hubby and I took 4 pills each but never got sick. I do have the patches and they are ok but the OTC pills worked great. JUST BUY THEM BEFORE YOU GET ON THE SHIP. Onboard they are a small fortune for just a few.

Bonine, Dramamine or the prescription patches?

The doctor has offered prescription patches but I keep reading they don't really work..........

I use the Bonine and start taking it 2 days before the cruise. Once on the ship I take one in the morning and one at night. The patches and Dramiamine make me very sleepy whereas the Bonine does not. Success of anyone of these is take it before you get sea sick. A lot of people on the cruises don't take anything but I am not that brave to risk it.

I get sea sick on anything that floats including an air mattress. I was told to get the prescription patches and use them the full three days as that's how long you can wear one. By that time, you have gotten your "sea legs" and won't get sea sick. I did that on our Alaska cruise and it worked like a charm.

I also know that when you have weight loss surgery which is on your stomach, some doctors will put a patch on you before surgery to prevent sickness (from the anesthesia and also because the surgery was on your stomach.) That also worked for me.

I would definitely go with the patch which works and also doesn't cause sleepiness like some of the other meds can do.

For our first two cruises, the wife took Dramamine. While it prevented seasickness, it caused her to be tired all day long. On our last cruise, after the second day, I went down to the Fun Shops and purchased Bonine. It worked and she was no longer tired all day long.

In our experience, Bonine is the winner. However, it is medicine, so everyone is going to experience different effects.

Bonine and Dramamine II(the non drowsy kind) have the exact SAME ingredient. It is called Meclazine. You can buy the generic Meclazine, without paying for the brand name products at your pharmacy.

Most people only need one pill a day but my husband needs 2. He takes one in the AM and one before bed.

The patch is prescription and has other side effects so you'd need to discuss that with your doc.

Everything works on some people. You'll have to see what works on you. Even just taking ginger works for some people but I have not done that because it is hard to know the dosage you need to be OK.

BONINE has been our remedy, for our past seven Caribbean cruises. Absolutely no drowsiness, like some other products. And no conflict with alcohol consumption, if you so choose. It works on flights, cruises, excursions on catamarans, whale watching boats, ...any activity. Have experienced rough motion cknditions, and BONINE has worked every time.

The doctor has offered prescription patches but I keep reading they don't really work..........

The patches are the strongest and work the best of all of the ones you mentioned. The issue with them is that some people have really nasty side effects.

Dramamine, unless you get the non drowsy formula causes drowsiness.

My preference is Bonine, it works well with no side effects for most people. It is non drowsy.

watch out for those patches, if you put the next one on too soon the side effect is seasickness (says so in the warnings).

I found that taking a half of a less-drowsy dramamine once or twice a day works well. The regular ones make me too drowsy, especially if I drink wine.

Patch, hands down if prone to motion sickness, DH swears by it and we would not be cruising without it (he is easily motion sick).

We also take Bonine with us and ginger candy for DS and myself for those times it may get a little rockin and rollin on the ship, works like a charm.

Bonine worked well for me. I've never used the patch but a friend used one on a cruise and had a side-effect that blurred her vision. Since I love to read and do logic and other word puzzles, I didn't want to risk that. I'm also a big believer in preventative medicine and precautions so I agree with those who say take it before you board so that there's no chance of feeling bad.

Hubby and I used the less drowsy Dramamine. I can't imagine what the regular Dramamine would be like because we were so sleepy we stopped taking it after day 3. Neither one of us got sick after stopping the Dramamine but we also had really calm weather. I won't do the Dramamine again and I'm thinking about going with ginger root.

My wife is VERY susceptible to motion sickness. The last time she was on a boat was a miserable snorkeling trip in Hawaii some 10 years ago. They tried everything - bonine, fresh ginger, candied ginger - nothing worked. Friends persuaded her (and me) to come on the Splendor with a group last month. She used the patch. Worked fabulously. No motion sickness and no side effects. We're booked on the Dream in January.

Bonine and I are best friends! I take one every night when going to bed and it works wonders for me. Helps me go to sleep, I'm not groggy when I wake up and have no motion sick during the cruise.