Cost of a Taxi in Roatan

TX Sweetart

I wouldn't go off on my own in Roatan, this is a very unstable country, lots of protests and violence, why not do an all inclusive? There are several. Victor Boden does a great tour, also Little French Key. Not trying to tell you what to do, but there are a few ports I would never go off on my own, Roatan being one of them.

I wouldn't go off on my own in Roatan, this is a very unstable country, lots of protests and violence, why not do an all inclusive? There are several. Victor Boden does a great tour, also Little French Key. Not trying to tell you what to do, but there are a few ports I would never go off on my own, Roatan being one of them.

Nothing could be further from the truth. All you have to do is stay in the tourist areas, and away from most of the east end of the island.

The country is not at all unstable, nor are there lots of protests and violence.

Agree with zqvol. Not sure which Roatan you landed at. If you're reading the State Department warnings, these mostly apply to mainland Honduras. And frankly, lots of protests and violence can easily be applied to any major US city or University town these days.

In answering the OP's question, to West Bay from the Galaxy Ferry Terminal which is just on the other side of the cove from MBCC, the fare is US$35 per person. Probably similar from inside MBCC, but outside the gates you might strike a lower fare. However, for either you'll need to arrange return transportation, which makes doing a Bodden or Rony or other vendor tour a better bet. Also Bananarama, and I think Beachers (not sure) offer packages to their places on West Bay that include transportation. You're not stuck at their resorts either, as you can roam up and down the beach if you wish. Likewise with the ship Tabayana Beach excursions, same stretch of West Bay beach.

Edited by crewsweeper

I second this too..

Victor and his employees are so great...

We always bring things for them to give to the children's home.

School supplies, hair clips for the girls, and of course chocolate...

Roatan is where I do my land vacations. The island is full of ex-pats living in beautiful homes or condominiums, buying at lovely boutiques, eating at some pretty great restaurants. The beaches are clean and lovely, the snorkeling and diving is top notch, the "road" (since there is basically one main road) is easily traveled. Tourist attractions are well-cared for, almost everyone speaks English. Even the east end, though considerably more "rural" is a great place to visit. There are some great resorts and hotels on the island. I've rented a car and driven myself around the island, or I've taken hundreds of taxis and the drivers are well informed and accommodating.

Carnival's new pier is great, since the one area that "should" be avoided may be Coxen Hole where there are some street beggars and shops that can be a bit "dodgy".

Just remember that the main road can be a bit crowded and traffic slows up when the school buses are running mid afternoon. If taking a cab give yourself plenty of time to return from the west end (which is a nice visit).

• 4 weeks later...
Nothing could be further from the truth. All you have to do is stay in the tourist areas, and away from most of the east end of the island.

The country is not at all unstable, nor are there lots of protests and violence.

Actually, the country is very unstable. Especially during an election year--I don't think this is an election year for them. Whenever we visit my family in Tegucigalpa, they won't let me go anywhere alone, because it's so bad. However, the island of Roatan isn't nearly as bad as the main land. They're going to make sure it's not, because it's bringing in tourism dollars. They can't afford to NOT keep it safe.

Yes, Tegucigalpa can be very bad. We go there sometimes since my wife is from there. As for Roatan, there can be times that it can be rough but that is mostly Coxen Hole and the east side of the island. No comparison to Tegucigalpa or the Honduran mainland. They keep Roatan safe and we even have the US Coast Guard off the coast of Roatan. Tourist money is the only money that island really sees and it is crucial to their economy. The Mayor does a great job working with the local business and authorities in keeping Roatan a great island to visit. I never had an issue on the West End/West Bay area. Just like anywhere else, just be aware of your surrounding and don't flash jewelry and money.

With that said, we always get a private driver for the day and hit up the west end. We love Roatan.

• 5 weeks later...

I feel like on every one of these threads, there is some "helpful" person who tells you that you need to go somewhere else and another "helpful" person who tells you , you will surely be killed if you leave the safety of the ship or a tour.

I am using a driver and caution but cruise ships do not tend to visit super dangerous places.

An average price for a taxi on a cruise ship day is about $15 per person round trip to west bay beach from Mahogany. Do not pay full amount until they bring you back to the ship.

Wow you got a deal! From my experience that is from Coxen Hole to West Bay. From Mahogany Bay the least I have ever seen is $25 per person. The local tour guys are not much more and you know going in what the score is.

Taxi are not regulated on the island, it is all about the haggle.

• 8 months later...
Roatan is where I do my land vacations. The island is full of ex-pats living in beautiful homes or condominiums, buying at lovely boutiques, eating at some pretty great restaurants. The beaches are clean and lovely, the snorkeling and diving is top notch, the "road" (since there is basically one main road) is easily traveled. Tourist attractions are well-cared for, almost everyone speaks English. Even the east end, though considerably more "rural" is a great place to visit. There are some great resorts and hotels on the island. I've rented a car and driven myself around the island, or I've taken hundreds of taxis and the drivers are well informed and accommodating.

Carnival's new pier is great, since the one area that "should" be avoided may be Coxen Hole where there are some street beggars and shops that can be a bit "dodgy".

Just remember that the main road can be a bit crowded and traffic slows up when the school buses are running mid afternoon. If taking a cab give yourself plenty of time to return from the west end (which is a nice visit).

I'm interested in renting a car on an upcoming cruise. Do you by chance remember the rental companies at Mahogany Bay. I rented from Thrifty several years ago but doesn't look like they are still there at the port.