I hate Zika Virus!

chnusa

My husband and I had a voucher/credit from previous cruise experience and it allows us to sail to the Caribbeans before June 30 of this year, so we booked a trip to Western Caribbeans that sails next week and hoped to get a nice vacation before the baby is born (I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant). However, because of Zika, we had to cancel the trip, and I asked Carnival to extend the voucher deadline, because I will be too pregnant and won't be able to sail by the time the voucher expires.

The only reason we cancelled the cruise is because of Zika which is covered by Carnival's new Zika policy, I thought this should be a pretty easy case and we only ask them to extend the deadline. But Carnival right now is not giving me any answers, I have been waiting for 2 weeks and still haven't heard from them...It's so frustrating that we are probably going to lose this $1400 voucher.

I heard other cruise lines are a lot more friendly with this Zika issue to pregnant customers, we probably will never use Carnival again.

Can you just pick another cruise way out in the future (not ES rate) and then change it later? Do you have to book the cruise before the deadline or physically sail before the expiration date? I don't have any experience with these that's why I ask.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Can you just pick another cruise way out in the future (not ES rate) and then change it later? Do you have to book the cruise before the deadline or physically sail before the expiration date. I don't have any experience with these that's why I ask.

The voucher expires in June and they won't allow me to sail from March-June because I will be too pregnant, so I really need them to extend it. A lot of cruise lines give pregnant women 2 years of extension, I don't understand why it's so hard for Carnival.

The voucher expires in June and they won't allow me to sail from March-June because I will be too pregnant, so I really need them to extend it. A lot of cruise lines give pregnant women 2 years of extension, I don't understand why it's so hard for Carnival.

So you have to actually sail by June or have something booked by June?

My experience with these vouchers is you have a two year window from issue to expiration. If that is the case you should have had an opportunity to use it prior to now. Was that your scenario? How far into the future do you want to extend the voucher. At least another six months or longer, I presume. That's a long time.

We live in upstate NY, we wanted to go somewhere warmer than here lol.

I just called them, it is a "sail by" date, but they told me they might be able to give me an extension if I contact them right before the voucher is about to expire...

Hmmm, If it was me, i probably wouldn't be ready to sail for about a year after having a baby so I think you'll be asking for a pretty long extension. I'm not sure how successful you'll be at getting an extension longer than 2 or 3 months, especially if you've had the voucher for a while.

And I really wouldn't want to wait until right before it expires to get a yes or no answer. What if it's "no" and then it's too late to try to use it?

Under the circumstances, will they let you transfer it to a family or friend.?

I would hate to lose a voucher that big (and I'm quite curious what on earth happened to get such a large credit).

Can John Heald help you?

I'd be bugging everyone I could to get a "yes" answer and I'd want it in writing.

If you are going to lose it, I'd be taking one of the New England to Canada cruises or a Bermuda cruise. Even if you never get off the ship, at least you'll be waited on for a week.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Crazy thought but how about take the cruise and just stay on the ship while in port and enjoy the indoor activities. I don't believe you would have any issues with mosquitos while the ship is at sea. My wife and we rarely get off the ship anymore and enjoy the nice empty ship when in port and its amazing I would rather see you get to enjoy a cruise and not lose the voucher.

Edited by ryanedoyle

Id just go and wear long sleeves if possible and load up in deet. Sure it's only a 7-8 trip with 2-3 sea days. Go and enjoy yourself.

Op, I really do hope you do not listen to misinformed posts like the above.

It is easy to put out dumb comments. As I have been in Public Service(Police Fire Military EMT)since I was 16 I think you should listen to the Warnings of the CDC, and your Local Health Dept and most important your Dr.

Be Safe

Mike

OP...the safe Bermuda or New England options may really surprise you...less trooping around..enjoying the ship...just mind the CDC regardless..and good luck..would hate to loose and a different situation could be a surprise. Enoying spa tubs when nobody is on ship etc.

Crazy thought but how about take the cruise and just stay on the ship while in port and enjoy the indoor activities. I don't believe you would have any issues with mosquitos while the ship is at sea. My wife and we rarely get off the ship anymore and enjoy the nice empty ship when in port and its amazing I would rather see you get to enjoy a cruise and not lose the voucher.

This is what I would do and not even risk losing the voucher. My last cruise I got off the ship for like 30 minutes and realized I'd rather be on board enjoying an almost empty ship.

This is what I was going to suggest....I know it doesn't seem as exciting but would be warm, give them time together and the relaxation the OP is looking for. I almost always skip one port each trip now and it is my favorite day.

Call your pvp, thats why they are there. Hopefully you didnt just book by yourself, b/c this is why I always suggest to have someone in a big company. These people survive on us, so ask (if you have one) to get his supervisor and make something happen.

If this helps, I cancelled my March cruise on RCCL due to Zika. They gave us a future credit for the non refundable portion of our paid fares and are giving us two years to book a cruise using it, so essentially we are getting almost 4 years to sail. I know you are trying to use an already existing credit but call them and tell them that the competitor is giving their customers two years to book, not just sail. It can't hurt to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk