formal nights/celebrity solstice

zumbella

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I personally enjoy formal nights, but there are plenty of options if you do not want to participate. You can enjoy dinner at Bistro on 5, the buffet, room service or any of the specialty restaurants; none of these options require you to dress in formal attire. It is nice that S-Class ships have so many dining options.

I think you'll find most who cruise Celebrity love the formal nights and that's one of the reasons they continue to cruise Celebrity. There are many lines where you don't need to dress formally, including Oceania and Azamara, that would give you a very similar experience to Celebrity without the formal nights. If going more casual is your choice, you have many choices other than Celebrity.

The formal nights are one of the most highly anticipated parts of the cruise for my wife and I, but as the previous posters said if it's not your cup of tea there are other options onboard or other cruise lines if it's that big of a deal breaker for you.

I think you'll find most who cruise Celebrity love the formal nights and that's one of the reasons they continue to cruise Celebrity. There are many lines where you don't need to dress formally, including Oceania and Azamara, that would give you a very similar experience to Celebrity without the formal nights. If going more casual is your choice, you have many choices other than Celebrity.

I don't love the formal nights on Celebrity but I can say that I would like to sail Celebrity much more than I do. The main reasons I like Celebrity is that I like the smoking policy, the level of service they provide, the people that Celebrity seems to attract (it tends to be "bubba-free", and last but not least, the array of beverage packages. I for one dress formally for work, and like to do differently on vacation. I like to dress smartly, but I think a sport coat and slacks with an appropriate shirt is formal enough!

Anyone else NOT into formal nights? Hate packing all the extra formal wear. Especially since we have to do so much of it at home.

Nope, DH and I really enjoy formal nights. We do formal events at home, but none where it's just the two of us dressed in our gown and tux for a "date night". Formal nights for business functions and weddings I consider an obligation; formal nights on a cruise I consider a treat.

As previous posters have said there are lots of other options for you, both on Celebrity, and on other cruise lines, to not have to dress formally.

Nope' date=' DH and I really enjoy formal nights. We do formal events at home, but none where it's just the two of us dressed in our gown and tux for a "date night". Formal nights for business functions and weddings I consider an obligation; formal nights on a cruise I consider a treat.

As previous posters have said there are lots of other options for you, [b']both on Celebrity,[/b] and on other cruise lines, to not have to dress formally.

Just wanted to say thanks for this comment. So many pro-formal posters would rather banish us, who don't enjoy formal nights, to other cruiselines.

As if not wanting to wear a tux equates us to a leper colony or something...

I don't love the formal nights on Celebrity but I can say that I would like to sail Celebrity much more than I do. The main reasons I like Celebrity is that I like the smoking policy, the level of service they provide, the people that Celebrity seems to attract (it tends to be "bubba-free", and last but not least, the array of beverage packages. I for one dress formally for work, and like to do differently on vacation. I like to dress smartly, but I think a sport coat and slacks with an appropriate shirt is formal enough!

It is good to hear that there is someone else out there who chose Celebrity for similar reasons for why I choose them for my next cruise.

Judging by some past comments made towards those who don’t enjoy formal night you’d have to wonder if formal night was literally the only reason you’d choose Celebrity over the competition.

The formal nights are one of the most highly anticipated parts of the cruise for my wife and I, but as the previous posters said if it's not your cup of tea there are other options onboard or other cruise lines if it's that big of a deal breaker for you.

As they are for my dear wife and I. However, we hold no ill-regards for those who choose they do not want to dress to the traditional defenition of formal.

Perhaps one day both sides can all enjoy a wonderful meal in the same room at the same time!

Pesonally, I find Formal Nights enjoyable, but don't pick Celebrity because of it. Yes, wear a suit a good deal, and yes, we go to social events that require Tux and do so. But agree with 'The Groupners' that dressing up for just ourselves is neat. So put me down as one who appreciates Formal Night.

As to packing issues, each of us have our priorities, as soon as we give advice of how to handle packing a suit (take a suit, then you can wear the suitpants with regular shirts and the suit jacket with light pants for a sportier look on other nights, so its not just for Formal night), someone explains they are treking Europe for 6months before the cruise or climbing Mt Everest or whatever. So there are always reasons not to. The best I've heard is....I don't Want To!

What is so nice is there are so many other options on Celebrity that it shouldn't really be an issue unless someone insists on going to the MDR or BLU on Formal Night and not wearing anything close to what is prescribed. Then I think it has little to do with not going Formal and more about 'making a statement', usually 'statements' most of us dont really care they are making.

So enjoy planning on joining in on the Formal experience, enjoy not packing for formal night and taking advantage of the many other options, or enjoy not dressing even close to formal and going to the MDR/BLU and seeing if you can make it in - personally, I'd find it more than a bit embarrassing for some poor guy to have to ask me to go put on proper clothes or hand me a coat. But I guess I'm embarrassed easily.

Den

Perhaps one day both sides can all enjoy a wonderful meal in the same room at the same time!

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? :confused:

I am glad there are options for both those who enjoy formal nights and those that do not. Doing what you propose would be akin to doing away with formal nights.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? :confused:

I am glad there are options for both those who enjoy formal nights and those that do not. Doing what you propose would be akin to doing away with formal nights.

Not at all! We don't need everyone else dressed the same as us! Every person, and especially every generation, has their own view of what is considered formal. I enjoying wearing a Tuxedo but certainly don't expect every other man to enjoy it as well!

Seeing my wife all dressed up, having a pre dinner cocktail, perhaps a little dancing after dinner all dressed up, that is what formal night is to us. It isn't what others have worn.

Not at all! We don't need everyone else dressed the same as us! Every person, and especially every generation, has their own view of what is considered formal. I enjoying wearing a Tuxedo but certainly don't expect every other man to enjoy it as well!

Seeing my wife all dressed up, having a pre dinner cocktail, perhaps a little dancing after dinner all dressed up, that is what formal night is to us. It isn't what others have worn.

To me that would be like going to a baseball game and half the players are in uniform and half in street clothes. Or going to a black tie wedding and half the guests are dressed up and have in blue jeans. It is great that Celebrity has venues for whatever type of ambiance the passenger is seeking. For those that enjoy formal nights, the main dining room offers a couple of formal nights per cruise. For those who do not wish to participate, there are many options for them. If people are just dressing for themselves rather than to participate an the overall atmosphere/ambiance of a formal night, then it is not really a formal night but just a couple of individuals choosing to dress up.

To me that would be like going to a baseball game and half the players are in uniform and half in street clothes. Or going to a black tie wedding and half the guests are dressed up and have in blue jeans. It is great that Celebrity has venues for whatever type of ambiance the passenger is seeking. For those that enjoy formal nights, the main dining room offers a couple of formal nights per cruise. For those who do not wish to participate, there are many options for them. If people are just dressing for themselves rather than to participate an the overall atmosphere/ambiance of a formal night, then it is not really a formal night but just a couple of individuals choosing to dress up.

I type far too slow to go into as much detail as I would prefer:

Uniforms and dressing for dinner, not even in the same ballpark (pardon the baseball pun)!

My wife and I strongly believe a person should be comfortable. We make our formal nights special with each other! With all the changes in the industry in the last 20+ years I have bigger concerns than people's attire! Call me strange, you wouldn't be the first!

I'm completely the opposite to gpnfish; I never get to dress up for work so I like to dress up as much as possible when cruising! If it were my choice, every night would be formal. DH, not so much... :)

Are "Bubbas" the same as "Chavs" we have in the UK.

I'll get slated no doubt for describing them as foul mouthed, obese (usually), rude, inconsiderate, work shy (perhaps benefit grabbing) people with "mini-mes" as their kids.

Just my humble opinion of course.

As for dressing formally we always adhere to the suggested dress code but dress more for one another than any one else.

I'll get slated no doubt for describing them as foul mouthed, obese (usually), rude, inconsiderate, work shy (perhaps benefit grabbing) people with "mini-mes" as their kids.

LOL! Where I'm from they also typically sport "mullets".

Just my humble opinion of course.

As for dressing formally we always adhere to the suggested dress code but dress more for one another than any one else.

LOL! Where I'm from they also typically sport "mullets".

Not exactly - either one :) But look at my name and, also, where I am currently living and I can tell you exactly what a "Bubba" is:D. I've known plenty of them. It's sort of the same as a "good ol' boy".

Edited to add: Tenn4ever = Tennessee and current residence in Texas. Both of these places are the traditional homes of "good ol' boys" and "bubbas".

We both love formal nights, my hubby in his tux and me in a cocktail gown. Also love the air of glamour that seems to surround the ship.

However, if people choose to be a little more casual in their dress then that's fine by me, who am I to judge? But I do feel it adds to the extra special feeling on formal night if most people do don evening attire.

Here in Canada, a Bubba is a big plastic mug that people tend to take on vacation to have their drinks in. Some go as large as 70 oz, which I think is discusting. However, I do have 2 reasonably sized 18 oz ones that I like when I go to an all-inclusive beach vacation. The drink stays cold and the flies don't get in.

http://getyourbubbakeg.com/ 4.jpg

We like to dress up too. Formal nights have been more 'semi-formal' on our recent cruises. We will be on the Solstice in June. (Med. cruise)

How formal will people be?

How many men in tuxes?

Is a long skirt and beaded top too formal?

I think we will have 3 formal nights, so I'm struggling with what to bring! We are spending 2 weeks in England after our cruise, so we are trying not to overpack.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I think it's good that cruise ships have formal nights for those "who like it" and non-formal nights. I think everyone agrees, that if you don't want attend the formal nights, then you don't go & instead visit one of the other lovely restaurants on the ship (I should imagine with so many persons going to the formal nights - the other restaurants would have LOTS OF TABLES to spare)

We are looking forward to doing "just that" - have a lovely quiet romantic night together in a Restaurant without crowds or large patronage on the night (Sounds romantic doesn't - and why not, my wife is my everything)

As they are for my dear wife and I. However, we hold no ill-regards for those who choose they do not want to dress to the traditional defenition of formal.

Sadly, that 's not how it turns out when they relax enforcement of the dress code on other cruiselines. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881512

On the other hand, NCL does what they call "Dress-up or Not Nights" and they apparently work quite well. That's a much more casual experience overall than Celebrity though. I prefer Celebrity's status quo: Appropriate attire expected on Formal Night in the MDR. All others are welcome to dine at any of the other quality venues (which they seem to do without resentment). :)

Archived