when groups are on board

poss

This query will probably take a different tack from what might have been expected from its title, but I believe that there are folks who might be able to help out here.

I know that some travel agents (all travel agents?) "host" certain cruises and that there are special "incentives" for clients who sign on. I'm sure most people sign up for such itineraries more for the pleasure of meeting again with people they've come to know and enjoy from other cruises, rather than OBC's or whatever.

Here's my question: Are people using the same TA who are not especially social likely to feel awkward if they don't participate in "group" activities? My question is prompted in part because someone noted on another thread that such groups tend to eat together at big tables, meet up for trivia and tea, etc. We wouldn't so much enjoy that. I sure wouldn't want to appear unfriendly; we just tend to be loners, more comfortable, usually, on our own.

I know that it's impossible to tell for sure, but I'd appreciate getting some kind of feedback on how these things work because there's an itinerary I'm interested in that happens to be a hosted one.

Thanks.

Edited by poss

We've been on both sides of the table so to speak. One of our cruises a radio show host had 100 people onboard. They had their own events and we were excluded from them. Did not impact us at all. We've done a few group cruises with our Travel Agent and had a cocktail party (impacted no one) and a few dinners - one closed Signatures, One in La Veranda. I don't think those impacted other passengers at all since the group was very social even to non group members.

Our last Regent cruise the Art Auction people had their own groups and blocked off Signatures and Prime 7 a few of the nights. We were unhappy about being very restricted from dining on our anniversary at one of the specialty restaurants which was the purpose of the cruise.

We booked a cruise many years ago on HAL and cancelled it when we found there was a religious group on board and the entertainment and dinner seatings would be affected for us.

Poss,

My TA hosts a number of group cruises each year. The groups are informal; some people do everything with the group and others do nothing with the group. Sometimes we eat with several members of the group and other times my wife and I eat alone. Usually when we eat with other group members, it is with one or two other couples.

Hope this helps.

Poss, Hi to you!

We have been on cruises that were hosted by our TA and another that was hosted by a larger agency. We enjoyed both as we were able to go on some special tours (bridge tour) and cocktail party. You do not have to participate but you will receive an invitation for RSVP. Just like hosted tables which we normally decline.

We are also "loners" and on a Mariner cruise, there were a few special groups. On one occasion all the lounges were closed for these folks so we had pre dinner cocktails in our suite. I still resent that. However, Regent is still our go to cruise line.

We did one hosted cruise. It was a small group, on a small ship. There was one group dinner and a couple of cocktail parties that we participated in. Some of the group chummed around, we did our own thing--it helped that we'd done the ship and itinerary previously. But we did meet two couples who have become very good friends, and with whom we have cruised repeatedly and visited (well, we have visited them, they haven't yet visited us, ahem.)

How does one learn if there is a group on your sailing?

Sometime you can find out it it there is a "roll call." No always, but often those posting in the roll call will talk about their group. Usually they give the particular cruise an acronym.

To the OP, travel agent groups on board are usually no problem. But other sponsored groups can be very much of a problem. particularity if the group is larger like over 50. I was on a cruise once that had about 200 members sponsored by a car company. They took over everything.

j

[quote name=JMARINER;46396784

To the OP' date=' travel agent groups on board are usually no problem. But other sponsored groups can be very much of a problem. particularity if the group is larger like over 50. I was on a cruise once that had about 200 members sponsored by a car company. They took over everything.

j[/quote]

That was what I referred to in my post. Usually a TA group, not all people participate. But the affinity groups, or the industry award trips are not the usual Regent demographic and can bring a whole new dimension to the trip.

Regent has hosted large affinity groups such as the employees of European car companies. I think the late May Voyager cruise this year is one such. After hearing of horrific experience of friends on the Voyager in the Med last fall, I instructed our TA to always check with Regent and alert us.

Well the OP was, I believe, asking about being *part* of a group, not encountering one onboard. But as for the latter circumstance, I've had a bad experience as well with a large, obnoxious corporate group dominating a smallish ship, and the results weren't pretty. No way to find out in advance.

Poss, I didn't notice it was you who posted--I wouldn't worry about it, just do your own thing, and make it clear early on that you may not want to participate in the group activities--on ships the size of the ones we hang out on, that shouldn't be a problem.

We have been on several cruises where our TA put together a group. We have several friends who have the same TA as us, in fact, who we met through travelling with that TA. So we often do things with them, but there is absolutely no pressure to attend any activity. It is up to your choice. Sometimes we do and sometimes not, depending on the schedule.

I have never noticed a problem with TA hosted groups as far as being obnoxious or over drinking; however, I have seen a huge problem with other affinity groups. The problem is that you have no way of knowing when you book.

Thanks very much to all who responded. Hi to old CC friends and greetings to new ones. You've truly eased my mind on the subject. I think that it'll be impossible not to feel slightly "out of it" when we see others having a jolly time together, but my sense now is that we probably wouldn't be the only ones not participating. And also that the good, friendly folks in the group wouldn't take our flying solo amiss.

I've never experienced the kind of thing that some of you mentioned (and that wasn't really what I was taking about), but it doesn't sound awfully pleasant, i.e. those large affinity groups. It interests me that some of you say that there's no way of knowing if such will be onboard, but DeepFreeze suggests that maybe there is? Probably sometimes there is, sometimes not. Like others, I'd certainly choose to avoid if possible.

The cruise I'd love to join is the one Rachel has already booked, I believe: that dandy 14-day Vancouver-Vancouver next May. My husband's health makes me feel more comfortable keeping to North American itineraries now (if, indeed, we can even manage it at all), and we adored our previous Mariner trip to Alaska. Main problem (now that you've addressed the other one) is that since we're no longer snow-birders, we have virtually no cool-weather clothing. Gave 95% of it away when we became full-time Floridians. Buying all new stuff doesn't sound like fun at all. (For some people it would be, I guess.)

Hey, thanks!

The cruise I'd love to join is the one Rachel has already booked, I believe: that dandy 14-day Vancouver-Vancouver next May. My husband's health makes me feel more comfortable keeping to North American itineraries now (if, indeed, we can even manage it at all), and we adored our previous Mariner trip to Alaska. Main problem (now that you've addressed the other one) is that since we're no longer snow-birders, we have virtually no cool-weather clothing. Gave 95% of it away when we became full-time Floridians. Buying all new stuff doesn't sound like fun at all. (For some people it would be, I guess.)

Hey, thanks!

We are also on that cruise so I know for certain that you can avoid all group events if you choose to -- it is up to you and no one will make you feel badly.

In terms of clothing, it is more about layering than having very heavy clothes. Alaska in May can be warm - or not. We have cruised there twice in May -- once it was 80 degrees in one port. The next year it was in the low 70's. You would need a warm jacket and possibly gloves (when you sail Hubbard Glacier, it is difficult to not want to go outside and experience the splendor of the experience and it is cold).

Hope you decide to book the cruise:)