First time

keltic

After having cruised with almost all luxury cruise lines its time for Regent. I am not sure what it's like and how it could compared with the others. Any tip for first comers would be really appreciated.

Welcome to the Regent board! The only luxury cruise lines we have sailed on is Regent and Silversea but I've read reviews for Seabourn and Crystal for years. With the exception of Regent having larger ships, we find the experience on Silversea (food and service) to be very close to the experience on Regent. We found that one dining venue on Silversea was a little better than on Regent and the main dining room food was better on Regent. We do prefer the Elegant Casual dress code on Regent.

When dining in Compass Rose, there are times when the restaurant gets so slammed that it is better to wait a while before going there (or go when they open). After the Captain's Reception (generally the second night on board), the night of the Seven Seas Society Reception (loyalty reception) and after the crew show (Krew Kapers), 300-400+ passengers all go to Compass Rose. At these times, the service slows down considerably. One way around this is to book reservations at a specialty restaurant, however, the menu on these special nights generally has great items on the menu like lobster, Beef Wellington and/or Chateaubriand.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise with Regent:)

Hi Keltic, nice to see you on the Regent's board (I usually see you in the Spain board)!

Ive cruised on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea and Regent is my favorite, although I liked Seabourn quite a bit too and found it very similar, also similar mix of pax. As others have mentioned, Regent has gone more casual, I believe no tie is necessary although I think a jacket is still needed on Signatures restaurant? Not sure of this.

The other difference with other lux lines is that for the most part excursions are included in the cruise price. Frankly, this is the one thing I dont like about them as in many ports, specially in the Med we like to go off on our own and dont use the excursions.

What cruise are you considering?

I feel quite comfortable, and not the slightest bit out of place, eating in all venues (including Signatures and P7 at dinnertime) with a collared/long sleeve shirt and dress khaki's or navy blue slacks. And I have seen plenty of similarly dressed gentlemen all around me in those same venues.

If you adhere to Regent's "elegant casual" format (that means no tie/jacket required - but no shorts or denims, either), you will meet all required standards. There are many men who were simply "brought up" to wear a jacket in business and at evening occasions (like receptions, cocktail parties, and dinner), and they feel odd or uncomfortable wearing anything else/less. Most of them are over 60, and that's fine. However, I've also seen plenty of "over 60" gentlemen who are leaving the jackets behind, as well :o

There are many other (mostly younger) professionals today however, like the employees of Yahoo, Microsoft, Google, et al. who would not dream of having to wear a coat/tie to work (but perhaps a casual jacket with jeans) and that feeling extends into their evening hours, as well.

That's what's so great about Regent's dress policy. It meets the tastes and customs of a wider demographic and takes into account (as a business model) that the prior, older, and more traditional demographic of passengers are not going to be around and sailing forever. I believe this is one area where Regent is positioning itself (and taken the lead among luxury cruise lines) to attract the dress preferences of emerging and future passengers. Regards

I feel quite comfortable, and not the slightest bit out of place, eating in all venues (including Signatures and P7 at dinnertime) with a collared/long sleeve shirt and dress khaki's or navy blue slacks. And I have seen plenty of similarly dressed gentlemen all around me in those same venues.

If you adhere to Regent's "elegant casual" format (that means no tie/jacket required - but no shorts or denims, either), you will meet all required standards. There are many men who were simply "brought up" to wear a jacket in business and at evening occasions (like receptions, cocktail parties, and dinner), and they feel odd or uncomfortable wearing anything else/less. Most of them are over 60, and that's fine. However, I've also seen plenty of "over 60" gentlemen who are leaving the jackets behind, as well :o

There are many other (mostly younger) professionals today however, like the employees of Yahoo, Microsoft, Google, et al. who would not dream of having to wear a coat/tie to work (but perhaps a casual jacket with jeans) and that feeling extends into their evening hours, as well.

That's what's so great about Regent's dress policy. It meets the tastes and customs of a wider demographic and takes into account (as a business model) that the prior, older, and more traditional demographic of passengers are not going to be around and sailing forever. I believe this is one area where Regent is positioning itself (and taken the lead among luxury cruise lines) to attract the dress preferences of emerging and future passengers. Regards

Good for you, pingpong. It's important to remind people that it's quite acceptable for men not to wear a jacket at all on any Regent ship. My husband's over 70 and he just won't do it (although I'm going to get him into one next year when we have a jacket-required "do" on a Tauck river cruise.)

Wendy - the Jacket on Tauck will be well worth it.

My husband is happy to leave the jacket home, but, I feel naked if he does because then I don't feel as dressed up without it.:cool:

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

Welcome to Regent. We have sailed mostly on Regent and Silversea in recent years, and they are very similar. I like Regent better as far as ambiance. My husband hates the suit and tie thing, though he does sometimes wear a sports coat on Regent. Myself, I love dressing up, but you can do that on Regent too if you want.

Suites are about the same.

I really don't mind the included excursions, though I realize some people hate them.

Hi Keltic, nice to see you on the Regent's board (I usually see you in the Spain board)!

Ive cruised on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea and Regent is my favorite, although I liked Seabourn quite a bit too and found it very similar, also similar mix of pax. As others have mentioned, Regent has gone more casual, I believe no tie is necessary although I think a jacket is still needed on Signatures restaurant? Not sure of this.

The other difference with other lux lines is that for the most part excursions are included in the cruise price. Frankly, this is the one thing I dont like about them as in many ports, specially in the Med we like to go off on our own and dont use the excursions.

What cruise are you considering?

Getting on the Voyager in a few days from Lisbon to Southampton. I have carefully read the peoples advises. I think I will love it. Excursions included is not a nice choice. You don't pay for them but finaly your fare increases and you have to.

I will have a suite as usual, but tuxedo as in Silversea will stay in my closet.

IMO, it is not freezing on Regent ships. If you go into the dining room when it opens, it is on the cool side but warms up quickly as people get seated. Also, many people are not used to air conditioning (even where we live) so the cold air coming in affects them. Being raised in a hot climate, with air conditioning on all summer, the ships did not feel cold at all -- sometimes it is even too warm for us. This issue has come up before so I packed a small thermometer. People in the Horizon Lounge were saying how cold it was. Actually, it was 72 F (around 22 C) with bright sun filtering through the windows. So, if you are not used to air conditioning, it is a good idea to bring a sweater or pashmina when going to public areas.

Edited by Travelcat2