Ship officers and staff

OctoberKat

With but a single cruise under my life-vest, I confess I am bemused by the posts here about preferences regarding ship officers and staff. For those who voyage often I suppose familiar faces amongst the crew would be welcome and I get that.

I expect there will be at least one here to tell me how wrong I am and that it matters very much who is the captain, who is the cruise director, ad nauseum, but I board the ship to cruise, relax, float on the sea, be at peace and hold my beloved. I have zip interest in ship officers and am more likely to care about staff who look after us and, even then, I am not looking to make friends and I expect they aren't either.

Jim and are happy to bump into anyone and love to meet people. Yurt we have zip interest in ship officers other than just people. Those who labor to make our cruise comfortable are more important to us but, still, we're not looking to make friends. The notion of true friendship, as referred to on CC, may be diluted.

Edited by OctoberKat

With but a single cruise under my life-vest, I confess I am bemused by the posts here about preferences regarding ship officers and staff. For those who voyage often I suppose familiar faces amongst the crew would be welcome and I get that.

I expect there will be at least one here to tell me how wrong I am and that it matters very much who is the captain, who is the cruise director, ad nauseum, but I board the ship to cruise, relax, float on the sea, be at peace and hold my beloved. I have zip interest in ship officers and am more likely to care about staff who look after us and, even then, I am not looking to make friends and I expect they aren't either.

And good luck to you.

Wish I could just post a thumbs up! So many negative things have been posted about Navigator yet we are looking forward our trip next year. To tip or not to tip, to do included excursions or not to do them, to eat in Prime 7 or not - we will do what works for us and I know we will have a wonderful time. :D :D :D

Are you suggesting that before you make a reservation at a luxury resort, you don’t find out who the general manager, chef, front desk staff, waiters, concierge, & bell staff are?

Oh the horrors.

Perhaps you are not cut out for cruising.

Heh, smiling indeed.

Indeed it's true I don't know who is the GM at most hotels/resorts although often I get nice notes from same in my suite (and I do mean suite). Unless I have an issue, I've no cause to chat; should I run into staff I like to smile and say how pleased I am, if I am.

At smaller properties, it is common to meet the GM and that's fine. But a Regent cruise ship is 500 or more guests and that's a lot of ballast.

This summer we return to Le Bristol in Paris for nine days but I don't expect to meet the GM other than serendipitously. Twin Farms, on the other hand, hosts only several dozen guests at a time so the GM is ubiquitous.

As for not being cut out for cruising, that's been settled, we love it. What we're not cut out for, apparently, is schmoozing.

Edited by OctoberKat

Everyone is different and have various reasons for enjoying their cruise. There is no right or wrong and I seriously doubt if anyone will understand what someone else enjoys on their cruise. If you want to sit all day and do nothing -- it's fine ........ if you prefer to sit in your bathtub all day and soak -- nothing wrong with that ...... if meeting other passengers and schmoozing with them is your thing, there go for it....... and, there is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the company of the crew onboard. The question about who is the Captain, G.M., C.D., etc. is asked on all of the luxury boards (and probably non-luxury boards as well).

Heh, smiling indeed.

As for not being cut out for cruising, that's been settled, we love it. What we're not cut out for, apparently, is schmoozing.

But what happens if you cruise the same ship again is that the cocktail waitress will remember that after dinner drink you had 5 years ago and bring it to you and call you buy name.

Some of our best evenings at sea have been with people we never met before and some of the most boring as well. Unless the crew is someone we've dined or sailed with, we might turn the invite down. Some nights you want fish and some nights you want steak. Regent is one of those cruise lines you can be incognito if you wish or hang out with a big crowd. Sometimes you feel like nut and sometimes you don't.

Some of our best evenings at sea have been with people we never met before and some of the most boring as well. Unless the crew is someone we've dined or sailed with, we might turn the invite down. Some nights you want fish and some nights you want steak. Regent is one of those cruise lines you can be incognito if you wish or hang out with a big crowd. Sometimes you feel like nut and sometimes you don't.

Well said.

I agree with Oktoberkat. I guess I have not done enough luxury cruises to truly care about who is the cruise manager, who is the captain, etc., though I am always open to meeting new people from all walks of life, crew and non-crew, privileged and non-privileged, and especially people who make things work and know how things run behind the scenes. So in that sense hanging out with the officers a bit could be interesting even if they cannot speak totally frankly, as you might complain on CC or ask they be chastised. People can be pleasantly surprising and very interesting in their seemingly contradictory behaviors, or they may be narcissistic, self-absorbed, and a waste of time. I would imagine it is a bit of a strain for officers to dine with pax, as they have to be on their best behavior ( and forget anout discussing juicy things like their country's politics, sexual mores or religion). In a couple months I will have opportunity to dine with the captain on a well-known mass cruise line, based on my suite purchase, but will likely opt for a bubble bath instead ( sans captain) with room service and a view of the stars off the patio.

I do know, however, that I would avoid doing a Regent cruise if I knew a certain arrogant and rude doctor would be on board, or a certain sexist and condescending waiter, or an incredibly rude receptionist. Too many other cruises to choose from, where the risks are at least unknown.

to curry favors. I am sure everyone has noticed that.

Caroldoll, you sound like one smart lady and I don't see what you don't get. Part of the job description for the help....err.officers, is to entertain and stroke the paying guests who need it. Who could possibly think that they would want to use their free time, all duded up, to sit and have dinner with the customers? We have almost always declined the hosted tables as they feel very phony and stilted. I'm quite sure an officer would rather pass by me with a nod and a simple greeting and no fanfare needed. I wonder when in port and getting some free time, how many officers are inviting the schmoozies to hang out with them on shore.? It is all rather silly. I imagine they would like a boat load of happy, contented passengers which is really what we sign on for.

I wonder when in port and getting some free time, how many officers are inviting the schmoozies to hang out with them on shore?

A great question, fizzy. I have never heard of it happening.

I prefer to see the captain steering the ship and the chief engineer tending to the machinery or whatever rather than spreading charm, although I realize that is part of their jobs too.

I am a trivia nut and find that my fellow-players are excellent company. Some teams I have been on have arranged special dinners with spouses so we can get to know each other better. This is probably strange enough that I am not justified in casting aspersions on the friendship or non-friendship patterns of other passengers.

I am a trivia nut and find that my fellow-players are excellent company. Some teams I have been on have arranged special dinners with spouses so we can get to know each other better. This is probably strange enough that I am not justified in casting aspersions on the friendship or non-friendship patterns of other passengers.

Not strange to me! My husband & I have made some wonderful friends on our cruises during the trivia games. We have thrown cocktail parties on our birthdays or anniversary for our new found friends.

Jim and are happy to bump into anyone and love to meet people. Yurt we have zip interest in ship officers other than just people. Those who labor to make our cruise comfortable are more important to us but, still, we're not looking to make friends. The notion of true friendship, as referred to on CC, may be diluted.

to state such a down to earth thought!!!! I happen to agree with you..the sea & the chance to get away are my reasons for going on a cruise. After being on ships since the 1970's & travelling all over the world(and living here in NYC) I've learned life aboard the ships is no different than here on land. I've met the most wonderful people & ran away down corridors from the biggest bores imaginable.

As far as the officers are concerned I have met many interesting officers onboard and on a smaller ship the captains personality & management skills do have an effect on the general atmosphere onboard. As long as we travel safely & our expectations are reasonably met(as sold by the cruise line) we are happy. Everything else is cured with a cocktail & the ability to do 2 things....glaze over and pay attention to the music and walk back to the stateroom & sit on the balcony. All the other issues you note are not worth my time or effort..I'd rather watch the sea!

Enjoy your days onboard!

Obviously, all of my experience is in the past but it is experience.

We never checked to see who was going to be the staff before any of our cruises, didn't care, didn't plan to interact. Some of the staff that I had read raves of adoration for on these boards struck me as cold and distant, didn't mess my day up one bit. A couple of captains we did have some interaction with in the evening, one in particular was hilariously funny and personable.

The main servers in Compass Rose do remember you from cruise to cruise, if you are seated in their section on a regular basis. Or they did, in the past.

I guess you also noticed that sometimes you can never get the last word when posting with people who know just everything...OMG, LOL...

Yes, I notice as does everyone else. You and OctoberKat are truly quite brave on this board. It is about time ;-)

Cruise, hotel, bar, etc - being friendly to the person making the drinks and getting to know them a bit is very useful. After time the drinks get better and so does the gossip! The rest of the folks, need to follow the guidelines in many cases.

Yes, pretty Carol...it is quite obvious. Hey, at least they now have clotted cream on board for the scones.

They have always had clotted cream on board for the scones. Not certain who said that they did not.

Octoberkat: What do you have a strong stomach about?:confused: Since you posted on CC, I assume it is cruise related.

irishwitchy: Agree! Being friendly with bartenders is definitely an advantage. When we order a drink they will make a suggestion to make the drink better. Also, so many passengers are clueless when it comes to "call" drinks. If you fail to "call" your alcohol, you get the lowest that they carry. I recently posted about how wonderful the "new" Mexican Butterfly drink is. However, if you do not "call" Patron or Don Julio, the drink may taste less than palatable. We have learned not to order drinks in any of the dining venues. If we want a top shelf drink, we order it from a bartender directly (preferably one that we know) and take the drink with us to dinner.

Edited by Travelcat2

They have always had clotted cream on board for the scones. Not certain who said that.

There was no (zero, zip, zilch) clotted cream aboard Navigator on my cruise of January 27 - February 6, 2015.

OctoberKat: What do you have a strong stomach about?:confused: Since you posted on CC, I assume it is cruise related.

Fair question. I find a strong stomach helpful when sailing heavy seas.

It is an interesting discussion. As I surmised, I am hardly alone in my disinterest in hobnobbing with officers. We all have seen, as TC2 alludes above, queries about which officer will be on a particular cruise and discussion about the qualities of various staff. Thus, I got to worrying about being odd (wo)man out but suspected strongly I was instead part of the silent majority. We still don't know about majority but it doesn't matter since I'm satisfied to know I have savvy confederates in this matter.

Also, again as indicated wisely above, sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't. Aware and grateful it doesn't have to be one way or the other.

Edited by OctoberKat