First Time on Regent

VegasTW

Hi all, I've been enjoying reading your posts since I booked our first Regent cruise a couple weeks ago (Explorer - London to Copenhagen - June 2018). Thank you for the great insights. I have a couple questions if anyone could chime in and help.

We have cruised four times in the past - on Holland (x2) and Celebrity (x2). We spent the money for suites on these lines and found it worth the extra space, comfort, and amenities. We decided to try Regent for several reasons. First, we will enjoy the suites, as well as the exceptional food and service. Second, we are excited about the included excursions, especially on our port-intensive Baltic itinerary from Southampton to Copenhagen. We had looked at the high excursion prices on other cruise lines (especially St. Petersburg) - and the fact that these are included with Regent is compelling.

We are currently booked in a G2 Deluxe Verandah Suite.

Ok - here are my questions!

1. I don't see much being posted on this lower category suite. The price differential between this category and what seems like the more common higher suite categories was significant. I do understand that it's all relative based on personal budget, but is it worth the money to get to Concierge Suite + categories?

2. Does Regent have a "daily agenda/itinerary" as some other lines do? What is it called - I'd like to see if there are some examples posted somewhere.

3. What are the typical restaurant dinner hours? We prefer to eat a little later (8-9pm) after a couple of cocktails :). In our experience, the later time helps with getting reservations and avoiding peak times. What is your experience on Regent?

4. Since we are first time Regent cruisers in a lower category, we won't have access to online dining or excursion reservations until after the more frequent Regent cruisers. I did read the posts about how they reserve some options for late reservations / wait list options / go to the excursion meeting area that morning and hope to get on. Since part of the draw of Regent was the excursions, I'm worried - especially for St. Petersburg where I want to fully maximize the opportunities.

Thanks for your patience with my long post, someone had mentioned on the threads that it's helpful if you give some background on experiences cruising, etc.

Welcome to the Regent board!

#1 - We have sailed on the Explorer four times and would not book a "G" category suite. The bathroom in particular is way too small. Some people that are used to small cabins may find this okay but for most Regent regulars (there is one notable exception) prefer the "F" category suites. They are spacious, have a large bathroom with a good size shower and bathtub, double sinks and plenty of storage space. Our TA does not recommend "G" suites.

2. Regent puts out Passages daily. There have been copies posted on CC. You may want to do a search.

3. Dinner begins in all dining venues at 6:30 p.m. and goes on until diners are finished (I believe the hours are 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m). Some people want to make sure that they are done in time for the 9:30 p.m. show in the theater.

4. I strongly suggest that you not wait until you get onboard the ship to book either excursion or dining reservations. Some excursions sell out and you would need to get on a waiting list which may or may not clear. Yes - they do have openings in the specialty restaurants but you are likely not going to get the time that you prefer or the table size (i.e. table for 2 vs. 4 or 6). Most Regent passengers book excursions the minute that they are available. For you, excursions are available 180 days prior to the cruise. Go onto the Regent website and set up "My Account". It only takes a couple of minutes. Once you set it up, you can add your cruise and the dates that you can make reservations will appear (note: the times are based on midnight Eastern time).

I'm sure that others will chime in. The Explorer is an amazing ship - I'm sure that you will enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Travelcat2! I've been enjoying your posts and insights. Unfortunately for us, we are stretching to go on Regent so we'll have to wait and see if there are any fare reductions or promotions to rebook to a higher suite category (fingers crossed). Since we are still a year out, maybe something will materialize. We will definitely book our dining and excursion reservations as soon as available 180 days out. Even so, it sounds like they fill up prior to this with the folks that can book 240 days out. Will still give it a try though!

Thanks Travelcat2! I've been enjoying your posts and insights. Unfortunately for us, we are stretching to go on Regent so we'll have to wait and see if there are any fare reductions or promotions to rebook to a higher suite category (fingers crossed). Since we are still a year out, maybe something will materialize. We will definitely book our dining and excursion reservations as soon as available 180 days out. Even so, it sounds like they fill up prior to this with the folks that can book 240 days out. Will still give it a try though!

Don't worry too much. They do have sufficient capacity for many on excursions, so I doubt everything would be filled up. As for dining, they try to be fair and make sure everyone gets at least one booking in each specialty restaurant. After boarding then, extra reservations become fair game.

As for the G, it looks fine to me, on paper at least! It's about the same size as a standard suite on Mariner, as far as I can see. And it will still be beautifully-appointed and serviced by smiling staff!

Don't worry too much. They do have sufficient capacity for many on excursions, so I doubt everything would be filled up. As for dining, they try to be fair and make sure everyone gets at least one booking in each specialty restaurant. After boarding then, extra reservations become fair game.

As for the G, it looks fine to me, on paper at least! It's about the same size as a standard suite on Mariner, as far as I can see. And it will still be beautifully-appointed and serviced by smiling staff!

Photos can be deceiving. Our TA is fine with Mariner standard suites but fairly strongly recommends against them on Explorer.

VegasTW, since this is your first Regent cruise, the suite will likely be fine. They are all well appointed and, as you know, all have balconies. Some of us "oldies" on Regent were just disappointed that they went to such a small suite. In any case, you will enjoy it.

In terms of excursions, when Regent gets too many people on on excursion, they simply add more buses. However, there are some excursions that are capacity limited so booking online is a good idea.

I have 297 nights on Regent and I absolutely LOVE the G2 suites on Explorer. We had one of the aft facing G2s for 24 nights with THREE adults in the cabin; no problem with space at all. You will absolutely love the cabin.

Marc

In case you didn't realize this, the excursions that have a binoculars symbol by them have an additional charge. However, there are plenty of excursions in St. Petersburg to the "must see" places that part of the fully included program. If you find that they are filled when you try to register for them, call Regent and ask to be placed on the wait list. People get onto their wait listed excursions much more often than not. And if there's one that you really want, and it still shows as full on the day, go to the gathering point and see if there's any no-shows. Because people are not paying specifically for the excursion, they frequently don't cancel--they just don't turn up.

We stayed in a G2 cabin on the Explorer in May and it was ample space for us both in the room, bath and closet. Like you, we have stayed in suites on HAL and Celebrity. For those seasoned Regent passengers who are accustomed to large suites with a butler, G2 obviously doesn't suit, but we had no complaints. We were on the 6th deck midship. Next time we might try a F cabin, but would have no problem booking a G again.

The minute excursions and later dining reservations were available I got on the computer and was successful in getting exactly what we wanted.

You'll have a great time.

In April, my wife and I were in an F2 and my mother & her husband were in a G2. We felt the G was a bit small, especially in the closet. My advice is to look very, very closely at the price difference between a G and an F - it's usually not that big of a jump on a shorter sailing, and on a longer one you'd probably want the extra closet space.

YMMV.

We were in a G1 for a Trans Atlantic and the space was fine for us. I had one comment in that the table in the sitting area was low like a coffee table that didn't have space for feet underneath and was difficult to use for in suite dining that we did after long days of touring. And for us in the future I would not book a G suite on the Explorer because of this alone. (on the Navigator and Voyager the tables are higher and have an extension in the closest.)

Also, our suite had one chair and the couch. A fellow passenger in a G suite asked for an additional chair which they promptly brought.

I felt the closest and bath had plenty of space for us.

When we did the Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg we had 3 nights in port. It took me several attempts to get the tours I wanted because some of them were only offered on two days, but after moving the tours around, I did get what I wanted, just took some patience.

We were in a G1 for a Trans Atlantic and the space was fine for us. I had one comment in that the table in the sitting area was low like a coffee table that didn't have space for feet underneath and was difficult to use for in suite dining that we did after long days of touring. And for us in the future I would not book a G suite on the Explorer because of this alone. (on the Navigator and Voyager the tables are higher and have an extension in the closest.)

They didn't have the tables that can be raised and lowered?

Hi all, thanks for your awesome feedback. My TA told me that the Regent passengers were great.

I am going to keep an eye on promotions that might allow a category change, but for now I'm feeling comfortable with the G2 suite. It looks like it is long and narrow - the narrow part is what makes it feel a bit cramped.

It's a relief to hear that for the most part (and with some patience), the excursions won't be a problem. We typically sail in December to the Caribbean, and rarely go on excursions for this relaxing itinerary. But on our upcoming Baltic cruise - it is so port-intensive with places we haven't seen - the excursions became pretty important.

I'm getting so excited for this trip, and it is still 11 months away...boo hoo.

They didn't have the tables that can be raised and lowered?

No they cannot be raised or lowered. Although we have toured the "G" suites we have not stayed in one. The tables in the F1/F2 and concierge suites have a table that is the right size for someone sitting on the sofa. And, if you bring the chair from the desk/make-up area over (not sure if "G" suites" have the extra chair), it is also the right height. Almost everything on Explorer is a bit different than on other Regent ships.

Hi all, thanks for your awesome feedback. My TA told me that the Regent passengers were great.

I am going to keep an eye on promotions that might allow a category change, but for now I'm feeling comfortable with the G2 suite. It looks like it is long and narrow - the narrow part is what makes it feel a bit cramped.

It's a relief to hear that for the most part (and with some patience), the excursions won't be a problem. We typically sail in December to the Caribbean, and rarely go on excursions for this relaxing itinerary. But on our upcoming Baltic cruise - it is so port-intensive with places we haven't seen - the excursions became pretty important.

I'm getting so excited for this trip, and it is still 11 months away...boo hoo.

Hi, just my two cents worth. We have stayed in the F2 cat. and love it.

I hope you can get some help from Regent but another way to reduce total cost is to find a TA that provides a rebate. They vary but 5 to 10% is possible, you just have to do your own re -Search as we can't mention them by name here.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Going to piggyback on question 4 here...we need to sign up for excursions on August 26th for our Explorer Barcelona to Rome cruise. I've looked at current cruises and my own but I don't see departure times...I assume departure times will be listed on August 26th? We actually prefer the morning tours and don't mind getting up for them.

Does Regent offer the same tours, one morning and one afternoon in the same port?

Is it acceptable to only do 1/2 the tour and tell the guide we'll hop a cab back to the ship if we want to stay downtown or at a particular city attraction?

Thanks, Melissa

Going to piggyback on question 4 here...we need to sign up for excursions on August 26th for our Explorer Barcelona to Rome cruise. I've looked at current cruises and my own but I don't see departure times...I assume departure times will be listed on August 26th? We actually prefer the morning tours and don't mind getting up for them.

Does Regent offer the same tours, one morning and one afternoon in the same port?

Is it acceptable to only do 1/2 the tour and tell the guide we'll hop a cab back to the ship if we want to stay downtown or at a particular city attraction?

Thanks, Melissa

Yes - the times will show up when you are booking the cruises. Sometimes Regent offers both morning and afternoon choices. Other times, they offer only morning or afternoon but add another one later if the response to the excursion is great.

It is definitely acceptable to do part of the tour and let the guide know that you'll take your own transportation back. We have done that many times.

Keep in mind that excursions will open on the Regent website at midnight eastern time which is 9:00 p.m. pacific time. So, some people in the west and midwest may book excursions before you wake up on the 26th to book them. This likely will not make much of a difference unless the excursion is space limited. If there is something that you really want to make sure that you get, it may be worth either staying up late or getting up early!

Enjoy your cruise on the "most luxurious ship ever built". It will be an amazing experience:D

Keep in mind that excursions will open on the Regent website at midnight eastern time which is 9:00 p.m. pacific time. So, some people in the west and midwest may book excursions before you wake up on the 26th to book them.

Very useful for us newbies to understand this - many thx for highlighting how this works.

I sailed this itinerary, Copenhagen to Stockholm, 10 days on the Voyager in July 2014. I had no problem getting my preferred excursions. Since we were in St. Petersburg for 3 days, I decided to skip my last tour and enjoy a "sea" day.

This is a VERY port intensive itinerary!

The one thing I wished I had known was to wear very good running shoes to handle all those cobblestone streets. My thin Skechers just did not cut it!