Will current attack in Barcelona stop people from cruising there?

Phillygirl3

My heart goes out to those who were injured or lost their lives to the terror attack, today, in Barcelona. I'm wondering how this might impact cruise travel to Barcelona which is one of my favorite cities. In fact, we are booked on the Rio to Barcelona trip in February.

I agree, no impact unless the ships choose to cancel Barcelona as a port and I don't see that happening. Yes it's a tragedy that is unfortunately happening all over the world

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My heart also goes out to the people and families affected by this tragedy. While this will not change our cruising plans, we will likely try to avoid places where there are large crowds of people (which we tend to do anyway ...... not a fan of being around a lot of tourists).

My heart also goes out to the people and families affected by this tragedy. While this will not change our cruising plans, we will likely try to avoid places where there are large crowds of people (which we tend to do anyway ...... not a fan of being around a lot of tourists).

Ditto on all points, particularly the part about avoiding areas with large crowds of tourists whenever possible.

We have a cruise coming up in February (not Regent), round trip from Barcelona. It is one of our favorite cities in Europe.

I will not allow these sub humans to control me. I will be careful and avoid certain situations but will continue to travel. My wife and I will be on board Mariner with Phillygirl and will be spending 3 days post cruise in Barcelona.

If I let them change me, they win.

Remember the shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in Miami last year? About 50 people died and that port is as busy as ever. Barcelona will go on. May the victims rest in peace.

Pulse was in Orlando.

Why would anybody be so silly as to xl a cruise or travel plans due to this? It could happen anywhere. I'm not xling anything. I have a 4th trip to Europe this year in 3 weeks. Why would I xl?

Remember the shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in Miami last year? About 50 people died and that port is as busy as ever. Barcelona will go on. May the victims rest in peace.

That was Orlando in the middle of the state. it was 13 months ago.

we all travel and go to places something could happen. You just do not know when it is your time.

Yes, it will impact tourism for sure. That's part of what terrorism is all about.

No different then other places whether it is London, Pairs, Boston, New York City or Jerusalem just to name a few.

We will continue to travel the world. Just in Paris in early June even the week of that one issue and the issue on the bridge in London. My view is that one has a higher chance of dying in an automobile then the chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time from a terrorist attack.

Hopefully people will continue to travel and do the things they have always done. At the same time cities can do things to help minimize these events such as in large tourist areas making it difficult for vehicles to do what was done yesterday or with respect to bridges as well.

The evil win when we let these shameless and horrific acts change who we are.

Keith

There's no place on the planet that is 100% safe. Even sitting in your house huddled under a blanket you could have a truck crash through your house. You could get CO poisoning. Home invasions. Etc...

As others have said, you're statistically more likely to get hurt or killed on your way to the airport than when you're on vacation. I've been close to some riots/bombings/natural disasters in my time on this earth and I've developed a kind of "when it's your time, it's your time" attitude. I have no problems going to Barcelona, or Paris, or Istanbul, or Moscow, or Jerusalem. I kind of draw the line at some of the more volatile hotspots. We all have our risk tolerance levels. But the fact is, life is dangerous. No one gets out alive. :)

That said, it's always a good idea to minimize your exposure. Be aware of your surrounding, don't draw attention to yourself, etc. All the good AT training we got in the military still applies.

But no, the Barcelona attack wouldn't keep me away at all. I'd go tomorrow if I wasn't going somewhere else.

There's no place on the planet that is 100% safe. Even sitting in your house huddled under a blanket you could have a truck crash through your house. You could get CO poisoning. Home invasions. Etc...

As others have said, you're statistically more likely to get hurt or killed on your way to the airport than when you're on vacation. I've been close to some riots/bombings/natural disasters in my time on this earth and I've developed a kind of "when it's your time, it's your time" attitude. I have no problems going to Barcelona, or Paris, or Istanbul, or Moscow, or Jerusalem. I kind of draw the line at some of the more volatile hotspots. We all have our risk tolerance levels. But the fact is, life is dangerous. No one gets out alive. :)

That said, it's always a good idea to minimize your exposure. Be aware of your surrounding, don't draw attention to yourself, etc. All the good AT training we got in the military still applies.

But no, the Barcelona attack wouldn't keep me away at all. I'd go tomorrow if I wasn't going somewhere else.

Well said!

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. We live in Zone A on the Beach, the area that will have to evacuate in a hurricane. We are surrounded by very close water on three sides. We see our building when we sail from Port Miami. Yes. we would go to Barcelona tomorrow. However, like UUNetBill, we are going somewhere else. In April, upon our return from Explorer's TA, we stayed three days in the city. One afternoon, we sat in a Las Ramblas cafe along with hordes of other happy tourists.

There is nowhere in the World that is always safe. Terrible things can and do happen everywhere, but not everyday. Our next cruise is in December, and we intend to take it. Enjoy life while you can.

Mary

Hi Mary, I know South Beach from the old days, I graduated Beach High in 1963 my friends and I used to go to the dog track a couple of times a week, back then South Beach was an area of run down low cost senior retirement hotels and pretty much no tourist, it's amazing what happened, now it's a world class tourist destination!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As other's have said -- That's what terrorism is all about -- to make you live in fear and change what you do. If you do that, they have won. I passed the Pentagon minutes before the plane crashed into it on 9/11 -- I didn't change travel plans then and I'm not changing my plans now!

As other's have said -- That's what terrorism is all about -- to make you live in fear and change what you do. If you do that, they have won. I passed the Pentagon minutes before the plane crashed into it on 9/11 -- I didn't change travel plans then and I'm not changing my plans now!

I cannot imagine how shocking that must have been! It is good to hear that Regent cruisers are not going to let terrorism win. Bravo to all of us!

Yes, you are so right. I was checking out of my room at the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City on the 18th floor with a view of the Pentagon when it happened. A surreal and horrible experience that forever lives with you. But, if you allow it to alter your life, then they win.

We are not going to let them win either. On the Today show they were saying that New Orleans was a soft target which is a city we very much love. We will continue our land and sea vacations just being a bit more aware. Tour busses are very soft targets and we avoid them and take private tours and avoid large congregations of tourists which is what they are looking for. Just be aware of your surroundings at all times.