Things I just tossed out from my cruise travel files.

whogo

Why did I keep all this neatly filed paper?

A 1995 Regent Star passenger list

Stationery from Norwegian Cruise Line

Stationery from Regent Cruise Line

A biography of cruise director Charlie Oski

A 1997 flyer: "The best kept secret on the high seas... Art Auctions"

Tender tickets

Travel agent faxes that have faded to illegibility

Disembarkation info for Majesty of the Seas

Two styles of pink Royal Caribbean luggage tags

A Norwegian Cruise Line suggested gratuities card

Exchange rates for onboard currency purchases in 1998

Numerous TimesFax cruise newspapers

Happy Fourth of July wishes from Captain Johnny Favelen and his staff, 1998

A 20 nuevo peso banknote

Boarding passes and luggage claim tickets from TWA, Eastern, Continental, and USair

Holland America Alumni luggage tags, 1999

Card explaining the contents of a HAL document wallet

12 nights of HAL dinner menus, 1999

A note from Captain Hans van Biljouw explaining that we were in no danger during a power outage, Zuiderdam, 2006

A 2006 Volendam minibar price list (beer $3.75 to $3.95)

Captain Fred Everson's note explaining a $3.25 tax refund

There is lots of room in the file cabinet, the recycle bin is filling rapidly.

A great list and I'm sure going through it one last time brought back many beautiful memories. We've reached the point where we know it's time to 'let it go' and pare down. Part of that realization came from spending days going through all the things our parents left behind when they died. The first couple of hours were interesting, and every once in awhile we'd come across something interesting, but it quickly became what seemed like just endless 'stuff' that had no meaning for the heirs. I even found a photo album that in several places had notes in my mother's handwriting saying "I have no idea who these people are!"

I have a travel file, like most people... have been getting rid of stuff now for a few years... now I only keep what I think i may use again, i.e., I keep mostly information on hotels, private car service, city maps... etc., just did my yearly clean out, ran across the name of a staff member at the Hilton Diagonal Mar in Barcelona. we will be going there again in October... so will see if the staff person is still there... probably not... I have hung on to the brochure for the very first cruise my dh and I did... it was on the RCCL, Song of America l983, also have a brochure from the old Norway, after it was transformed from the old SS France. Some of these very old cruise items are fun to look -- things have changed a lot... gosh when we first cruised all we had was those brochures, no internet, nothing at all... traveling today is far more complicated but we have access to a lot of info which helps some.

A great list and I'm sure going through it one last time brought back many beautiful memories. We've reached the point where we know it's time to 'let it go' and pare down. Part of that realization came from spending days going through all the things our parents left behind when they died. The first couple of hours were interesting, and every once in awhile we'd come across something interesting, but it quickly became what seemed like just endless 'stuff' that had no meaning for the heirs. I even found a photo album that in several places had notes in my mother's handwriting saying "I have no idea who these people are!"

I have a photo album that belonged to my parents with over 300 photos and I have no idea who the people are.

The most interesting to me would be the HAL menus from 1999--to see how things have changed. I'd love to see the ones from our cruises in 1989 and the early 1990s. The big change I see is how there's so much more variety of food is served. On our first cruise, the main course came on a plate by itself, and then the assistant waiter served the side dishes as each passenger wished. There were just two or three choices.

We cruise a LOT ! I have folders for each port. I have info about the port, maps and good tours and anything special from each port. They are all in one box and I pull the ones from the ports we are going to. Even thought we have been to the port, this brings back memories of the port and what we did there, what to do next time there.

I do have the menu from our 1st Carnival cruise, January 2, 1997. The Maître'ds love seeing it and seeing what they still serve! I also have 1 or 2 New Year's Eve menus going way back and reading those are fun too.

The most interesting to me would be the HAL menus from 1999--to see how things have changed...

The menus are printed on heavy stock, roughly 17" X 11" (don't make me get out the metric ruler) and folded most of the way over into a little booklet. I have nine unique menus, don't know whether this dinner was repeated or I just got two copies of it:

APPETIZERS

**Fresh Fruit Cocktail

Seafood Sampler

jumbo shrimps, mussels, scallops and gravlax, three sauces

Smoked Salmon Terrine

pickled onion rings,, capers, creamed horseradish and toast

**Caponata with Garlic Crostini

braised marinated Italian vegetable dish

Almond Coated Fried Chicken Tenders

honey mustard sauce

Linguine Carbonara

tossed with tomato garlic sauce, bay shrimps and aged Parmesan

SOUPS & SALADS

**Chicken Noodle Soup

vegetables, diced chicken meat and white noodles

Cream of Broccoli and Gorgonzola

dollop of cream

Chilled Strawberry Soup

tapioca pearls

**Torn Romaine Lettuce

red onion, green beans, beet julienne and roma tomato

Spinach Salad

mushrooms, bacon bits and blue cheese crumbles

*Indicates a spicy dish

**Indicates lighter fare

1999 menu, continued:

ENTREES

**Seared Fillet of Fresh Red Snapper, Banana Chutney

roasted red skin potatoes, broccoli florets and peapods

Grilled Sirloin Steak, Madeira Sauce

baked potato, green beans and crispy onion rings

Sauteed Calf's Liver with Smother Onions and Bacon

country style mashed potatoes, chunky apple sauce and spinach

Osso Buco Milanese

fettuccine and garden vegetables

**Grilled Lemon Garlic Marinated Turkey Tenderloin, Ginger Cilantro Sauce

wild rice, corn confit and green bean bundle

VEGETARIAN ENTREE

Grilled Assorted Vegetables and Tomato Risotto

herb salad and brown butter vinaigrette

*Indicates a spicy dish

**Indicates lighter fare

Hi all!

I find those memories hard to part with too. I keep all my trip info in shopping bags that should identify what trip/cruise they're from.

With 38 cruises, assorted all inclusive & road trips over 50 years, they're taking up a whole cupboard & a filing cabinet but I get a thrill when I go into the bags & see souvenirs I've bought, post cards & the prices back then.

My poor kids are going to have a lot of "stuff' to get rid of.:o.

~ Jo ~ :)

Believe it or not, some of these dust collecting momentos can actually fetch you a few dollars on Ebay.

I was going to suggest the same..

I have a rather extensive transportation related collection. I have thought about trying that when I retire at the end of the year, and have time...

Some of my collectible's will be donated to appropriate transportation museum's, as my heir's have absolutely no interest in them, except perhaps what monetary value they may have.

but most likely, will just peruse one last time and as my grandmother used to say: "fire it out!" :D

It is amazing what "hoarders" many of us become as we grow older.....;p

My late dear Mom, unlike her own mother, was like that, and blamed it on her being "a child of the depression", who had nothing.

It hurt her to discard anything and everything, because "it might be useful 'someday;"....

• 4 weeks later...

We have been cruising for 30 years so have been to just about all the ports- except Trinidad & Tobago. I have a box with information on different ports. Each port has its own folder. In them are maps of ports, info on tours, etc. Also parking info and maps of where ship leaves from in US. No stupid souvenirs. I go through each port we are going to and take out whatever I might need- ie. map of island, etc.to take with us.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more things I set aside for further perusal:

A 1994 Royal Caribbean notice, "As a result of the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the US Customs Service will begin assessing a $6.50 fee to all passengers..." Due to the short notice of the tax, Royal Caribbean would add the amount to our SuperCharge account.

A crew study study sheet of likely US Coast Guard questions and their answers:

"Where is the nearest fire extinguisher to your emergency station?"

"How many lifeboats and life rafts are there?" (18 and 72)

"How many Main Fire Zones are there?" (Eight - MFZ 0 through MFZ 7)

"How are fired doors closed?" (From the bridge or with the red lever)

More questions about emergency egress, watertight doors, emergency signals, fire extinguishers, etc.

All in the recycle bin, now.

I too have a basket filled with folders loaded with our momentos and photos from our cruises and Hawaiian vacations...

I have used those folders frequently to prepare for our next adventure...and just to reminisce :ship: :champagne-toast:

If I don't have the heart to throw them away, I'm hoping my kids will have fun reliving some of those trips. :halo: