Cruise points on Cunard

amajaa

I don't suppose anyone knows if your P & O points would count on a Cunard Cruise. I know they do on Princess but I'm thinking possibly not on Cunard. We have already sailed on Cunard once and I forgot to ask then.

Cunard points do however count on HAL. Why they have to make it all so confusing I don't know.

Having sailed on Cunard and HAL I was surprised to hear this.

How do you get the points applied? Diamond on Cunard but only a 2 star Mariner.

It certainly is confusing - P & O counts towards Princess but Princess doesn't count towards P & O.

Carnival should print a chart out for us as to which line counts towards which line I reckon.

P&O used to allow 5 points per night for every Princess cruise compared to 10 points per night on their own ships this was a special arrangement because before Carnival purchased P&O they owned Princess. It is said that Carnival only purchased P&O at the last minute from RCCL because they wanted the American market which Princess had. Cunard when it was bought by Carnival was independently owned so that why there has never been a crossover loyalty provision. In fact we started our cruising days on Cunard in 1997 and the majority of cruisers at that time thought P&O were nothing more than a ferry company. Early 2000s P&O was purchased along with Princess by Carnival and the rest is history as they say and opinions are divided about if P&O would have been better taken over by RCCL but one thing is for sure P&O wouldnt have been able to survive on its own.

Cunard points do however count on HAL. Why they have to make it all so confusing I don't know.

I've looked into this and there is no reciprocity between Cunard and HAL, the only benefit is gaining 1 star Mariner status on your first cruise with HAL if you've previously sailed with Cunard.

There is no transfer of points, just automatic enrolment.

See Q2 in link

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action#

Sorry link not correct, select FAQ on left hand side and Q2 :)

Easier to paste into post

2. HOW DO I JOIN THE PROGRAM? DO I NEED TO REGISTER?

No registration is required. All Mariners (past guests of Holland America Line) are enrolled automatically and will receive benefits starting with their second cruise. Guests who have sailed aboard a "World's Leading Cruise Lines" ship (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn or Costa Cruises) are also automatically enrolled in the program as a Star Mariner after they make their first booking with Holland America Line.

Edited by Glenndale