P&O Ships tours

teigenes

I have a vague recollection of reading that on some P&O ships there are on board tours. Now I can't find where or when I read this. Can someone please tell me if this is still happening and if so has anyone done one on the Aurora recently. As well, an indication of cost would be welcome. We are on the Aurora from Sans Francisco to Auckland in January. Thank for your help.

I assume you mean the behind-the-scenes tours? These are held on a sea day - minimum numbers required, max about 16 I think.

The £75 includes refreshments halfway, the tour, champagne and canapés with the captain, a souvenir photo and a gift.

Whether they run or not depends on itinerary and operational restrictions and you are NOT allowed to take photos!

Thanks Sharon, much appreciated, are you able to tell me what area's / places are covered please? Have you done one of these tours and do you think its value for money? We have 11 days at sea on our 16 day cruise so its a possibility. I imagine one can't book a tour before hand like the shore excursions.

Thanks Sharon, much appreciated, are you able to tell me what area's / places are covered please? Have you done one of these tours and do you think its value for money? We have 11 days at sea on our 16 day cruise so its a possibility. I imagine one can't book a tour before hand like the shore excursions.

Hi, we did one last year on the Oceana and loved it so much that we are desperate to try one on the Britannia.

Our tour covered the theatre, engine room, the bit at the front where the anchor is, waste disposal, the area where they do all of the reprographics, the galley followed by nibbles and drinks in the restaurant. Then we went to the Bridge and we were there a good 45 mins with the Captain. Then we had champagne and canapés in his 'Ready Room' with questions and answers with the Captain for about 45 minutes. It was an amazing experience. When we got back to our cabin we had special 'souvenir pins' and a special 'apron' each.

We would most definitely do it again

The highlight was knowing what makes the 'ping' ping' noise before every noon announcement on Oceana ............................. fab! We won't tell :D

On that cruise it was advertised in the Horizon news so we booked up asap. This year we will ask as soon as we board so that we don't miss it. Enough said.

Enjoy

As Presto has said - we started in the Theatre - back stage and in the sound and lighting control room, had a chat from a couple of the Headliners, went to the mooring deck where everything was explained by the deputy captain, food storage areas,galley, recycling plant, print room, engine control room (NOT the engine room) and finally the Bridge and captain's day room.

You have to wear closed shoes (no sandals) and sign a waiver form (if you trip or slip you won't sue!).

I felt it was worth it even though I had seen some of behind the scenes before when writing a book for P&O.

Thank You both Sharon and Presto, your information has decided us that we would willingly pay to see, when, where, what and how a large cruise ship works behind the scene. We will make enquiries early once we are on board. Thanks

Thank You both Sharon and Presto, your information has decided us that we would willingly pay to see, when, where, what and how a large cruise ship works behind the scene. We will make enquiries early once we are on board. Thanks

You won't regret it - have a great cruise. :);) Just to stand on the Bridge and listen to how they operate, with that amazing view infront of you is stunning.

Well worth the money , it lasted 4 hours , I did it on oriana, could have spent all of the time chatting with the chief engineer, he was a mine of information , I work in the catering industry so I found the galley tour really interesting , who repairs ovens at sea , I just call out a survice team in the UK !

I can't wait to hear your feedback as we are on the Arcadia in a couple of weeks. Bring her back safely. ;)

Just back today from great cruise to the North Cape.

Did the Behind the scenes tour,and thoroughly enjoyed it. Visited....

Stage, backstage, talked to performers, production manager. Had demo of lighting by technician, talk by sound technician and demo of how the huge soundboard works.

Tour of mooring deck taken by Deputy captain, fascinating talk.

One of the main kitchens, talk by Executive chef. Cake & chocolates consumed!

Tour of medical centre and talk about facilities - much more comprehensive than I imagined.

Crew area...saw their bar & restaurant ( brief.y!) visited the food & wine stores. Visited the print room (orange juice to drink at that point).

Fire safety demonstration and talk.

Engine control room. Very interesting talk by chief engineer.

Bridge visit where we met and talked to the Captain. Had several photos taken along the way - one complimentary photo of the group given to us. Finished up with glass of fiz and some nibbles and chatted to entertainments manager and one of the staff.

Received a small gift as a memento.

Don't think I have missed anything....we didn't visit the recycling are or the laundry but some of the logistics were talked about during the Chielf engineers talk.

Well worth it in my opinion

PS. I wil at some point in the near future write a full review of the cruise, and Arcadia. Lovely ship IMHO

Edited by Mysticalmother
PS added

Ahhhh - in the old days circa late 80's early 90's - maybe not so long ago eh! it was common to be invited up to the bridge, even transited the whole Panama Canal once from that vantage point. In those days the Captain would hold parties in his cabin, as would the Chief Engineer, the Purser and Cruise Director. Had the distinct pleasure of actually going into the engine room of the old Victoria, not just the control centre, which was terrific. Those were the days, but you know what, we still love the P&O experience - off again soon!! Such fun.

------------------------------------------

111 P&O cruises - 12 in the pipeline

Ahhhh - in the old days circa late 80's early 90's - maybe not so long ago eh! it was common to be invited up to the bridge' date=' even transited the whole Panama Canal once from that vantage point. In those days the Captain would hold parties in his cabin, as would the Chief Engineer, the Purser and Cruise Director. Had the distinct pleasure of actually going into the engine room of the old Victoria, not just the control centre, which was terrific. Those were the days, but you know what, we still love the P&O experience - off again soon!! Such fun.

------------------------------------------

111 P&O cruises - 12 in the pipeline[/quote']

I know, such a shame. I went on the bridge of the previous Arcadia, in August 2001....the tragic events of the following month changed such a lot.

Hi MM ,glad you had a good a cruise as we did:D:D, though the weather was not perfect, now I have a piles of washing and ironing working my way through:(:(:(

Hi English Lady - as well seeing you at the get together, I saw you around the ship quite a bit but somehow didn't mange to get to talk to you - sorry.

But it was a lovely cruise wasn't it....as well as the washing I am actually having to COOK tonight .....:D

Just another question re the ships tours, would one be standing/walking for the full 4 hours or does one get to sit down occasionally?

Such an anti climax when one gets home, as well as wondering who's sleeping in YOUR cabin and now having to cook as well as washing and ironing. Sigh!!!

But Oh the anticipation of the next cruise soon takes over VBG

Just another question re the ships tours, would one be standing/walking for the full 4 hours or does one get to sit down occasionally?

Such an anti climax when one gets home, as well as wondering who's sleeping in YOUR cabin and now having to cook as well as washing and ironing. Sigh!!!

But Oh the anticipation of the next cruise soon takes over VBG

We didn't sit down for the entire tour, until we reached the end (when we all flopped into the chairs!) As mentioned lots of walking/standing and stairs although the tour guide did ask if anyone needed the lifts. Can't avoid some of the stairs.