Arcadia what shouldn't I miss?

Scorpio41

We are on the Arcadia in a couple of weeks time. First time on this ship so what do I need to know to make the most of her? :)

depends on your ports. As we are not fans of sailaways at the back, we like to be at the crows nest-at the front. Lovely views up there.

Just come back from the fjords on here and sat there as we went down them was amazing.

East is a lovely place to eat (at a cost)

Intermezzo with comfy settee/chairs is a lovely place for a drink.

I seem to recall there is a quiet deck space in front of the gym if you want to avoid crowds, not much in the way of seating but good for photo opportunities. I always think the speciality restaurant (not sure if it's still MPW or if it's Epicurean now) is better on Arcadia than other ships, it still has the 'Gary Rhodes' feel to me but I'm sure others will disagree! The hot beds and hydro pool are a good place to relax but you have to pay extra. Food is free in the costa coffee shop, forgotten the name of it. I can't think of much else fundamentally different to the other ships other than she is my favourite!

The Crows nest is IMHO a lovely bar, but can get quite busy. A lot of people seemed to sit up there most of the day, hogging the chairs at the front...:D! (We managed to grab a couple for an hour or 2 one day!)

We also rather liked the East Bar for a pre dinner drink...very small but a good view. The bar staff got to know us quite quickly in there.

"East" was also very good, the food was lovely, and the view over the back of the ship is worth seeing but this will soon be turned into Sindhu. (from September I think?) A lot of people have praised Ocean Grill too but I am afraid we couldn't recommend it at all. Whilst our starters and main courses were delicious, the service and the desserts were terrible. When the trifle base, Posset, and Panna cotta all taste exactly the same - like tasteless blancmange - and are served in the same tall glasses...something is not right.

Cafe Vivo, which serves Costa Coffee and free cakes is useful, but the actual seating area is dark and gloomy.

As we went to Norway and the Nth Cape, the main pool was covered for the entire cruise. This actually was rather pleasant as the temperature in the area was just right, and it also provided a relatively light, airy but uncrowded area in which to eat if the buffet was busy.

The Theatre is nice - on 2 levels - but watch for seats behind the pillars which severely restrict the view. We always found a seat somewhere for the late show, even if it seemed to be full on initial view.

Spa treatments...there were lots of special offers during our cruise, both on Sea and Port days. I gave in to one of these and felt it was excellent value for money.

Have a wonderful time Scorpio41 - where are you off to?

Thank you everyone.

the english lady, we like sitting and looking out from the crows nest with and after dinner brandy. Any menu clues from East?

Florry, I've met many people over the years who say the Arcadia is their favourite ship. This is our chance to see her attraction. Our favourite to date is the Aurora.

Mysticalmother we are of to Norway and then Iceland. We have done both before but this time we are stopping at the Faeroe Islands and Orkney Islands.

We are on the Arcadia in a couple of weeks time. First time on this ship so what do I need to know to make the most of her? :)

Our favourite ship, deck 3 you can walk all around , 3 times = a mile, but lovely for a stroll too.

Love the pub, feels like walking into a real pub through the doors, lovely traditional wall panelling.

Lots of places to sit quietly and read if you want. We never really seem to find the time but some people do.

Loads of outdoor space, not always near the pool but thats not our ideal place as it can get a bit crowded.

I think the theatre is amazing, well laid out and waiters there if you want a drink.

We enjoy some of the quizzes, the Syndicate quiz at 10.30 each night is good fun, joining a team with new friends is good.

Check the Horizon daily paper for all things going on day and night time as well as reataurant times etc.

As with other ships you can go to Art Classes, lectures/speakers, join the choir, dancing, shuffle board. Or relax and watch the world go by.

There should be plenty to suit all different tastes and preferences.

Most importantly plan to have a really good time whatever you choose to do.

Enjoy

sunny seas:D

Thanks for all the tips- we too are sailing on Arcadia for the first time in September but to the Med. Scorpio41 we have just come back from a cruise which included visiting the Orkneys(Kirkwall) and the Torshavn in the Faroe Islands.Lovely places to visit hope you enjoy your cruise:)

Ann

Thanks for all the tips- we too are sailing on Arcadia for the first time in September but to the Med. Scorpio41 we have just come back from a cruise which included visiting the Orkneys(Kirkwall) and the Torshavn in the Faroe Islands.Lovely places to visit hope you enjoy your cruise:)

Ann

Any recommendations for the two places? :)

We caught an open top bus from Kirkwall which runs twice a day for £10. It visited Scara Brae (we had over 1 hour to look round) then back on the bus to the Ring of Brodor and back to Kirkwall. Very good value and great scenery.

Torshvan is lovely too and we caught the number 1 red and white bus (which is free!!) round the outskirts of the town and then walked round the town. Apparently the number 5 bus (also free!!) is the best to catch but we watched it sail by as we were at the wrong bus stop and it is an infrequent service.

In the Faroe islands you need Danish Kroner or to pay by card. (we took some Euros and managed to buy a postcard!

Enjoy!!

Ann:)

The covered pool area is great for a quiet breakfast if the Belvedere is busy.

The Aquarius Grill is a good alternative to the buffet or MDR for burgers, wraps and sandwiches for lunch.