1st time in Interior Cabim

I just booked my first cruise and got a balcony room. I questioned if it was a waste since we leave from NYC Dec. 23 and it'll be cold, but your post just made me realize just how awesome the balcony decision will be! Since first timer I'm a little afraid of getting seasick. Do you have any experience traveling from NYC to Caribbean Holiday week? How rough? Any other tips?

Sunthumper- Thanks for the nice words...FYI: It can be rough leaving NY in winter..I have friends who have done 4 cruises out of NY ( live near Philly), and last time out they hit 30 ft waves..I have never left from the Northeast, but as I said, my good friends have done it...if you are prone to motion sickness, get a cabin that is mid ship and lower decks are better than higher decks..you should also consider getting a motion sickness med, like the patch from your Doctor..BONINE, a pill, is over the counter, and works pretty well, but the patch is more effective...another point..if you ever feel motion sickness, NEVER go back to the cabin! Instead, go OUTSIDE and walk around..the salt air & wind will make you feel better..people think the first thing to do is go back to your cabin & ride it out..WRONG! What ship are you going on BTW? You made a great decision- there is NOTHING like a balcony to enhance your cruise experience, even when it's cold!!

Big Al

I did 4 years in the US Navy, 3 of which were on a Destroyer and sailed the med, Atlantic and Caribbean in an inside cabin. I also chartered 39 foot sail boats and sailed the Caribbean many times in an inside cabin. My wife and I have been on 18 cruises so far and always book an inside cabin. We currenly have 3 future cruises booked in an inside cabin. Only sleep and shower in cabin so why spend the extra money. Each person can do what they want and prefer. Enough said.

YOU only sleep & shower in the cabin..others love spending moments enjoying the stunning & romantic views..there are NO stunning views in an inside cabin..no watching the majestic sunsets,no seeing the waves & whitecaps, no standing on your balcony at night over-looking a moonlit sky & seeing the whitecaps & HEARING the sea..no having breakfast on a clear & beautiful morning in the Caribb or anywhere else & sipping your coffee while seeing the marvelous sights of the sea...no chilling out after a day at sea w/1000-3000+ people at the pool, or after hours of walking around in a port...no fantastic sail aways form the port or coming into a port...Great story: I booked some friends ( 2 couples) on the NCL Getaway in June & one couple told me they only cruise inside cabins for reasons: 1) Even the though they are wealthy, the guy told me he was "cheap"..2nd, they had cruised 12x all in an inside also because the guy likes the cabin dark, which is a lame reason, because I like it pitch black, and I've NEVER had problems with sun light coming in because I know how to set up the cabin ( there's a way to not let light in..)..fast forward & the couple who did take a balcony yelled & insulted the other couple for not taking a balcony..after talking to them over the phone & getting an upgrade to a balcony for only $ 120 for both from an inside to a balcony, they FINALLY decided to try one based on my famous thread, "Thanks cruise ship balcony, a commentary", which I posted 3 years ago & has the most views of any balcony thread in CC history ( over 45,000), and based on my urging..as the ship was leaving Miami, they called me from their balcony and he said," I APOLOGIZE !! This is fantastic..what a cool view..and I can feel the salt air & wind! We can see the ship moving!!" I said, "hey, David, wait to you get out to sea & see other ships go by, the marine wildlife swimming alongside the ship, those amazing sunsets & don't forget the breakfast on your balcony & nite caps before bed .." When they all got back, David & wife called me from the car driving home, and said, "NEVER AGAIN in an inside..you were right about everything..what a difference being part of the sea, as compared to being part of 4 walls"..BTW, he has booked a MINI suite on the new NCL Escape in January!!! From an inside to a mini-suite..so, "don't knock it till you try it" is the lesson learned....

Big Al

That is an AWESOME idea!!! I was in an interior last time due to the EXTREME price difference (free, just had to pay port fees and taxes) and didn't mind it at all. Just left the bathroom light on and the door closed. Problem with that is when I got up and opened the bathroom door the light would wake up my husband. I also like the suggestion about the small led lights for the bathroom. We are going in January and again have an interior so I will keep these suggestions in mind.

I have been cruising for almost 50 years. I have had inside cabins with bunk beds. Oceanview cabins with portholes. Outside cabins with large windows. Balcony/veranda cabins. Small and large suites and even an Owner's suite one time. A cruise is a cruise is a cruise. It is what you make of it.

And don't let any one tell you that you can't go back once you have had a veranda or a suite. I have done just that with no problem. I have gone from a suite to an inside and still enjoyed the cruise.

Edited by dorisis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have enjoyed reading this thread. After nearly two years learning all I can about cruising from CC and other places online, I have finally booked our first cruise on the Golden Princess in February next year to New Zealand.

We have booked an inside cabin - midship with nothing but rooms below and above us (all this I learnt from CC). I would have liked to have booked a balcony but at $1650 p.p for an inside that is all I was prepared to pay.

What I have learnt from Cruise Critic is that a cruise is what you make of it. A room doesn't make your holiday. I have decided that I can get all the fresh sea air and sunshine I want from going out on deck. I can view the ports from on deck (don't need a balcony for that) I can still drink a glass of wine on deck and enjoy gazing at the ocean. You don't need a balcony to enjoy these things.

What I can't wait for is being on a cruise ship. Hanging out at Vines Wine Bar. Eating at The Specialty Dining in Sabatini’s and Crown Grill. Eating at the International Cafe. Enjoying entertainment at Princess Theater, Vista Show Lounge and watching movies under the stars. People watching in The Piazza. And shore excursions - which I have already booked and payed for with private tour operators (which I learnt from CC).

Thank goodness my travel agent listened to me and didn't try and discourage me from booking an inside cabin. After all its my cruise!

After months of reading all these reviews here on CC, I got depressed. I couldn't decide on which cruise line to book -How can a cruise line have so many different reviews. I used to think - who wants to go on a cruise if the food is so bad, the rooms are dirty and need repairs, the staff are unfriendly, the ship is outdated, the shows are not great. But then I decided that everyone has different tastes. After all if we were all the same it would be boring. What I like another person may hate.

A holiday is what you make of it.

Most of us on CC love cruising. Hopefully you will too. I prefer either s balcony or an interior, because in an interior I can sleep late. OV is my least desired room. As for food, most ships offer a great variety of restaurants. I choose to pay for speciality restaurants, but I've been cruising a long time and choose to totally pamper myself when I cruise. There's so much to do! And, unlike a land tour, you're not constantly unpacking your luggage . Enjoy!

We have had two interior rooms and one balcony. We definitely preferred the balcony but the interior was perfectly fine too. We have an interior booked for our next trip because of the price. We will just spend more time out of our room and on the open decks to enjoy the scenery. No big deal! I would rather be on a cruise in a supply closet than sitting at home hahaha :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well, goodness me, I've just read through the three pages of this thread.

My experience of cruising began with my late husband and we had a balcony stateroom on P&O Oceana Acapulco to Barbados. We loved it and enjoyed the experience.

When I sadly, had to cruise alone I booked an OS cabin on Q. Victoria Southampton to NY as it was winter. On transferring to QM in NY I booked a balcony to Cape Town. A wonderful cruise with the highlight of the 3 Queens in NY.

My goal now, is to complete a World Cruise...in two sessions.

In January, I cruise with QM to Sydney. Having paid double for single occupancy last time on QM, I realised that if I had an inside cabin, I could cross the Pacific and not have to leave the ship in Valparaiso. I will have a window...it overlooks the Atrium.

I spotted this thread and read it for some guidance as to whether i had done the right thing.

I will travel further with my money! I will grab the time and the moments and I don't think I will regret it.

Well, goodness me, I've just read through the three pages of this thread.

My experience of cruising began with my late husband and we had a balcony stateroom on P&O Oceana Acapulco to Barbados. We loved it and enjoyed the experience.

When I sadly, had to cruise alone I booked an OS cabin on Q. Victoria Southampton to NY as it was winter. On transferring to QM in NY I booked a balcony to Cape Town. A wonderful cruise with the highlight of the 3 Queens in NY.

My goal now, is to complete a World Cruise...in two sessions.

In January, I cruise with QM to Sydney. Having paid double for single occupancy last time on QM, I realised that if I had an inside cabin, I could cross the Pacific and not have to leave the ship in Valparaiso. I will have a window...it overlooks the Atrium.

I spotted this thread and read it for some guidance as to whether i had done the right thing.

I will travel further with my money! I will grab the time and the moments and I don't think I will regret it.

I would have done the same!! What a wonderful trip you'll have - so envious!! Have a wonderful time :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all. I have enjoyed reading this thread. After nearly two years learning all I can about cruising from CC and other places online, I have finally booked our first cruise on the Golden Princess in February next year to New Zealand.

We have booked an inside cabin - midship with nothing but rooms below and above us (all this I learnt from CC). I would have liked to have booked a balcony but at $1650 p.p for an inside that is all I was prepared to pay.

What I have learnt from Cruise Critic is that a cruise is what you make of it. A room doesn't make your holiday. I have decided that I can get all the fresh sea air and sunshine I want from going out on deck. I can view the ports from on deck (don't need a balcony for that) I can still drink a glass of wine on deck and enjoy gazing at the ocean. You don't need a balcony to enjoy these things.

What I can't wait for is being on a cruise ship. Hanging out at Vines Wine Bar. Eating at The Specialty Dining in Sabatini’s and Crown Grill. Eating at the International Cafe. Enjoying entertainment at Princess Theater, Vista Show Lounge and watching movies under the stars. People watching in The Piazza. And shore excursions - which I have already booked and payed for with private tour operators (which I learnt from CC).

Thank goodness my travel agent listened to me and didn't try and discourage me from booking an inside cabin. After all its my cruise!

After months of reading all these reviews here on CC, I got depressed. I couldn't decide on which cruise line to book -How can a cruise line have so many different reviews. I used to think - who wants to go on a cruise if the food is so bad, the rooms are dirty and need repairs, the staff are unfriendly, the ship is outdated, the shows are not great. But then I decided that everyone has different tastes. After all if we were all the same it would be boring. What I like another person may hate.

A holiday is what you make of it.

I agree with everything you said.. I'm also in a inside room on level 11 BAJA DECK and I'm on my own, I couldn't justify paying so much extra for a balcony when I will be outside from 6am to late at night anyway lol

I'll use my cabin for showering , sleeping and when I wanna watch something on my laptop( if I'm totally bored) in which I doubt

Really annoys me when people just wanna spoil it for you, and they seem to know everything about travelling

I'll make my own judgement and won't let anyone's comments change my mind

Are you on the ship on feb11th going to NZ??

I've enjoyed reading this thread as our next cruise is a large interior cabin in the Med - there was too big a difference in cost for anything above an inside - in October and I will definitely try the bridge cam as its our first time inside.

We've gone on balconies (upgraded for free first time and then they had us! Lol) in the Caribbean but a lot depends on the itinerary, for me. In the Carib, it's warm, you can sit outside, you can dry your bathing suit outside etc. and we did.

Our med cruise is very port intensive and we're off the ship every day, all day, so we couldn't justify the very big difference in rate. We decided we'd rather spend the extra for our wonderful excursions :)

I don't know if you're home yet, but I hope that you had a wonderful time in the Med. I've only done one cruise in the Med. It was very intensive, like you say, new day....new port. Hope that you saw Rome, awe inspiring, sometimes if you are really lucky, the Pope makes an appearance. Italy in October is ideal. I am trying to see places from afar, and then be content to travel around Europe, and eventually just all around the UK. I have a school friend who emigrated to Australia and lives at Coffs Harbour and she and her husband have traveled the coast of Australia. Must have been wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
Going with hubby and we are on Baja deck 11

Done so much organizing for this cruise (our first) now all I have to do is sit back and count the days to go.

I'm on that deck too woo hoo

I've done everything and brought everything

Just like u counting down

My cabin is B216

We r in cabin B325. Not that far from yours. My hubby loves to have an afternoon sleep so while he is asleep I am going to explore the Golden. I am thinking of booking the Sanctuary for one afternoon. Just to check it out. I have studied the ships deck plan so much I think I can find my way around blind folded. 😜 u can tell I am excited cant u. 😁

We r in cabin B325. Not that far from yours. My hubby loves to have an afternoon sleep so while he is asleep I am going to explore the Golden. I am thinking of booking the Sanctuary for one afternoon. Just to check it out. I have studied the ships deck plan so much I think I can find my way around blind folded. 😜 u can tell I am excited cant u. 😁

Lol me too

I'm booking a morning or afternoon one day there too

Spending ALOT of time in the international cafe

Omg I had someone post pics on Facebook some of the cakes on there, wish I could post the pics here for you to see but I can't

I might park my bed there lol

Are you on Facebook

My name is Tricia by the way

Lol me too

I'm booking a morning or afternoon one day there too

Spending ALOT of time in the international cafe

Omg I had someone post pics on Facebook some of the cakes on there, wish I could post the pics here for you to see but I can't

I might park my bed there lol

Are you on Facebook

My name is Tricia by the way

Hi Tricia.

My name is Maureen. I have seen that many pucs of the Golden and her food and utubes so its ok about the photos. The international cafe and the Piazza look amazing. I am sure I will be spending lots of time there. I love the look of Vines to. I think I will park myself there for happy hour before dinner. Lol

The pool way out the back of the ship looks like a fav. Spit for outside. I am going to book both specilty Restaurants also.

We have booked anytime dinning. What have u booked? I love to people watch so should be in heaven

Hi Tricia.

My name is Maureen. I have seen that many pucs of the Golden and her food and utubes so its ok about the photos. The international cafe and the Piazza look amazing. I am sure I will be spending lots of time there. I love the look of Vines to. I think I will park myself there for happy hour before dinner. Lol

The pool way out the back of the ship looks like a fav. Spit for outside. I am going to book both specilty Restaurants also.

We have booked anytime dinning. What have u booked? I love to people watch so should be in heaven

I have booked anytime dining as well

I'm single and I didn't want to be on a table of 6 or 10 married couples

I could handle 2 couples lol

People watching is fun

I went to Brunswick with my daughter yesterday and we sat in a cafe and watched people's as we are brunch

It was an eye opener there

I'm so excited for this cruise

I am doing this for myself instead of a 50th birthday party

I've booked all my offshore activities and tomorrow we get to print our tags for suitcases woo hoo

I have booked anytime dining as well

I'm single and I didn't want to be on a table of 6 or 10 married couples

I could handle 2 couples lol

People watching is fun

I went to Brunswick with my daughter yesterday and we sat in a cafe and watched people's as we are brunch

It was an eye opener there

I'm so excited for this cruise

I am doing this for myself instead of a 50th birthday party

I've booked all my offshore activities and tomorrow we get to print our tags for suitcases woo hoo

I did the same for my 50th . My daughter and I went on a coach tour to Italy. Best holiday ever. No cooking - no housework.

I have booked all my excursions to. So much fun.

• 3 weeks later...

My DW and I have always enjoyed inside cabins. We only have a finite amount of money to pay for cruises. Cruising inside cabins has allowed us to do what we love to do more times than not. If someone else is paying. I would sure I would enjoy a balcony. A couple of things we do to make our experience enjoyable is 2 things.

The first is we always leave the TV on with the bridge camera going all night. We know what the weather is like outside and whether is is light or dark outside, at port or not.

The second thing is having a wonderful travel clock. After owning several different types this is in my opinion the worlds best travel clock. I have last years gen1. It looks like they now have a charger. It is night illuminated in large print perfect for early morning foggy eyes. Bye 2 one for each of you in your favorite colors.

The hardest part about an inside cabin is missing events going on elsewhere. Sleeping in is important and being able to see a time at first wink will either spring you up or allow you to fall back a sleep.