Help me choose: Equinox 14 nt vs Navigator 11 nt Holiday sailings

mary_228

I am trying to decide between two holiday sailings. We are a family of five, ages ranging from early 60's to 18. We love to go to the disco at night and participate in all of the onboard activities. Not really lying on a pool chair sort of people. Our most recent experience on Celebrity (Infinity 14 nt S America) was a bit low energy for our group and I would like to consider the Equinox if it is likely to have more games/lively disco/dance classes, etc.

Each itinerary offers three new ports of call for us; each has Christmas day at sea.

Any thoughts?

Based on your experience on the Infinity I would say go for Royal. Although we have never done a holiday sailing on either line the disco has always been livelier on Royal than Celebrity and probably because of a slightly younger demographic just more going on in the evening.

We prefer Celebrity. We enjoy the speakers more than the games, relaxing by the pool vs climbing the Rock wall, listening to music with a nightcap vs a parade on the Promenade.

Which ever you choose enjoy you holiday.

We are Diamond on RCCL and Elite with Celebrity.

We have not sailed the Navigator but have the Mariner which is the same class with 4000 pax give or take! :eek:

We have sailed on the Equinox the last two Thanksgivings, 2600 ish pax, and the wifester said 2015 was our best cruise ever. There is no comparison ship wise between the Celebrity M-class and S-class.

Celebrity is a day at the country club, where RCCL is a day at Disney.

If you are truly wanting, "more games/lively disco/dance classes, etc."

stay with RCCL and the crowded Voyager class ships. Holiday sailings on RCCL historically have large numbers of family's with lots an lots of very young children.

We switch back n forth, even slid the Ruby Princess in the middle in 2012 after the RCCL Freedom in 2011. The Celebrity S-class is our favorite design ship to cruise on.

EW

We are Diamond on RCCL and Elite with Celebrity.

There is no comparison ship wise between the Celebrity M-class and S-class.

Holiday sailings on RCCL historically have large numbers of family's with lots an lots of very young children.

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for someone with experience on both lines. I am unaware what class of ship the Equinox belongs to. Are you saying that you prefer Equinox? And with regard to the makeup of Holiday sailings, I would think all lines would have a lot of families on board, making even Celebrity more high energy at that time of year. Perhaps I am incorrect in that assumption. While we (the parents) enjoyed the lectures on our SA itinerary, our children did not, and I was hoping that a Caribbean itinerary along with a newer, larger ship might have more pool games etc. Any thoughts?

The kids would love Navigator. We've sailed on both Equinox (3 times) & Navigator once (Thanksgiving cruise). Navigator was definitely busier & we enjoyed the ice show immensely; definitely lots more kids. But the Solstice class (Equinox is a Solstice class ship) is awesome with the blown glass shows, but definitely a quieter demographic.

Edited by awhfy

There is definitely more to do on Navigator. We've sailed on both ships more than once (Navigator x 3 and Equinox twice). Undoubtedly, both will be packed over the Christmas holidays - with families especially ;). If your children enjoy the shows, Navigator has the ice displays as well as the main theatre performances.

All I can say is that we did the 2012/13 Eclipse New Year cruise and it was much, much livelier than any other Celebrity cruise we have been on. Even the final night was buzzing. However, we have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise - or Equinox before.

New Years Eve on Eclipse was incredible. The party round the pool ended well into the early hours despite the rain and the band had not stopped playing all night.

In our opinion, a 14-night cruise beats an 11-night one any day!

We are booked on the Equinox holiday cruise this year and are a friendly bunch. Join us on the Roll Call if you end up booking Equinox. http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2138396

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for someone with experience on both lines. I am unaware what class of ship the Equinox belongs to. Are you saying that you prefer Equinox? And with regard to the makeup of Holiday sailings, I would think all lines would have a lot of families on board, making even Celebrity more high energy at that time of year. Perhaps I am incorrect in that assumption. While we (the parents) enjoyed the lectures on our SA itinerary, our children did not, and I was hoping that a Caribbean itinerary along with a newer, larger ship might have more pool games etc. Any thoughts?

Yes, Celebrity is our line of first choice, and we would sail the Equinox over any RCCL ship if everything was in line.

Our DD is now 34, she went on Celebrity the first time in 1994, has 6 RCCL sailings, and worked 2 contracts on ship with them in 2004. Celebrity is her first choice for a cruise too.

THe longer sailings on Celebrity are not a big draw for family's like Royal. Tho there are some, just not 3-4-5-600, and sometimes close to a thousand on Royal.

• 4 weeks later...
I am trying to decide between two holiday sailings. We are a family of five, ages ranging from early 60's to 18. We love to go to the disco at night and participate in all of the onboard activities. Not really lying on a pool chair sort of people. Our most recent experience on Celebrity (Infinity 14 nt S America) was a bit low energy for our group and I would like to consider the Equinox if it is likely to have more games/lively disco/dance classes, etc.

Each itinerary offers three new ports of call for us; each has Christmas day at sea.

Any thoughts?

Yes done both for me hand down Equinox with my wife, better everything period. Travel with family hands down Navagator of the Seas, not two big 3,000 plus or minus but much funner for the kids and young adults. One of my top ten all time ships.

Have done both...from OP s post sounds like Navigator would be a better fit..parades...nightlife...activities..more music..family fun...the ship has a few nice clubs...open and active later into the evening...

Equinox is clearly newer, more elegant and upscale. Better food..but a more relaxing laid back time...does not seem to be what OP is looking for this time around. Suggest Equinox for another time...

Not sure what to expect of Christmas..more families and children...

Edited by hcat

Having much experience with Royal and a number of cruises now under our belt with Celebrity I would say based on what you are looking for Navigator is the ship for you. We have been on Navigator and loved it. Haven't been on Equinox (go on this ship in August) but have been on one of the sister ships, Silhouette. Every Celebrity ship I have been on has been subdued on the nightlife. Great travel experience and it's actually our favorite line, but night life isn't what Celebrity is known for. However, there are always lines with even less nightlife....Holland America, Princess.

Have a great trip.

I appreciate your input. I will save Celebrity for our empty nest days!

You will love the Navigator, been on her 4 times she is a great ship with a wonderful crew.

Hubby and I are going on our first Celebrity Cruise (empty nesters now) and I hope we won't be bored lol

Tough choice indeed.

We sail exclusively on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. We've also sailed on the Silhouette thrice (which is the sister ship of the Equinox/ both S class ships), as well as on the Adventure,Mariner, Explorer of the Seas (all 3 sister ships of Royal's Navigator of the seas).

Here are the pros and cons of each.

1. Celebrity Equinox:

- Celebrity's S class ships are just magnificent. They are all newer, more modern and the staterooms are more contemporary.

- The food on Celebrity has a slight edge over Royal Caribbean, but thats very subjective, although many readers seem to prefer the food on Celebrity ALOT more than the food on Royal Caribbean

- There are definitely fewer kids on Celebrity than on Royal Caribbean.

2. Royal's Navigator of the Seas:

- The Voyager class ships are slightly bigger than Celebrity's S class ships. The royal promenade on Royal Caribbean is definitely better than the smaller promenade on Celebrity

- I agree with other posters, there always seems to be alot more activities on Royal, than on Celebrity, but this honestly depends on WHERE you're cruising. Port intensive cruises like the Med, Scandinavia have new ports to see nearly everyday, so obviously fewer activities on those cruises.

If I were you, since the itineraries are equally good and both ships are excellent, I would chose depending on the price. I had a similar choice to make when I went on my Alaskan cruise last month. Had a choice between Celebrity Solstice (also Equinox's sister ship) and Royal's Explorer (Navigator's sister ship) - similar itinerary and leaving on the same date.

We finally went with Royal since we got balcony rooms at literally half the price. We were not disappointed. Our group consisted of 6 people ages 30-80.

P.S. - I'd chose a 14N on Celebrity Equinox over a 11N on the Navigator OTS. Longer the cruise, the better.