Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

THAT doesn't bother me. There are people there waiting for others to show up. Now if those seats are open right as the show is about to begin, they're "free game" as far as I am concerned at that point.

As for those who lay towels to save chairs, etc., there's a lost & found I like to use for such items.... :D

Never going to happen in todays World on a cruise ship, the very important rule is Safety, and everything else that follows along, manners, respect, guidelines. people will always find a way to avoid them. You see it all around you at home - to work, and out and about

I do my best not to hog a chair, or chairs around me.

I do respect others especially the Elderly. some need more attention than others as well kids and others around you.

Today I rather again mind my business than grab attention.

It takes one person to say my purse/wallet was in that towel, and he/she threw it away, and before you know it security has both parties. taken out and ruining your vacation...

For some this is a game.

It's Like a Parking spot you may not find any for an hour, see people taking more room then others, and opening on the spot

Celebrity was putting out cards in May, reminding pax of no saving seats, and that their items could be removed. I'm not sure how well it was enforced, but at least they were making an effort!

When we were on the Summit 2 weeks ago, they were putting out cards but you still couldn't find 2 together in the shade. We ended up taking towels back to our shady aft balcony and enjoying the day there. This was our 10th cruise and it's the first one that we never spent any time at the pool because of a lack of seats. The Solarium wasn't any better.

I thought there were significantly fewer chairs in the shade on the Summit compared with the Solstice class ships that we've sailed on before.

Plenty of chair hogs on our 3 April 2016 Eclipse Caribbean Cruise. On the Deck above the pool deck there were those that thought they were entitled to have a lounger under the canopy in the shade as well as a lounger in the sun. They would rotate between the loungers. Didn't take long before those looking for a lounger would remove the so called holding towel. Great entertainment.

On Summit it was tough to get a good pool chair for sure. You need to get up there early or forget about it. This is the best way. The people that do get a lounge chair, will keep them a very long time. We are talking about professional cruisers here. I give a suspicious, flip flop, book holding, towel covered, unoccupied chair, 5 minutes, before I will ask a pool attendant to observe, and then will move in. Touching other peoples things may cause a problem which I am not there for.

On Summit it was tough to get a good pool chair for sure. You need to get up there early or forget about it. This is the best way. The people that do get a lounge chair, will keep them a very long time. We are talking about professional cruisers here. I give a suspicious, flip flop, book holding, towel covered, unoccupied chair, 5 minutes, before I will ask a pool attendant to observe, and then will move in. Touching other peoples things may cause a problem which I am not there for.

Yes. You have to get up 6:00 am to get loungers in the shade. We needed the shade. We never left the chairs unattended, there was always people from our party there. We had a plan. My sister had melanoma, we had no choice. If you don't need shade on the Summit finding a lounger is no problem.

Never going to happen in todays World on a cruise ship, the very important rule is Safety, and everything else that follows along, manners, respect, guidelines. people will always find a way to avoid them. You see it all around you at home - to work, and out and about

I do my best not to hog a chair, or chairs around me.

I do respect others especially the Elderly. some need more attention than others as well kids and others around you.

Today I rather again mind my business than grab attention.

It takes one person to say my purse/wallet was in that towel, and he/she threw it away, and before you know it security has both parties. taken out and ruining your vacation...

For some this is a game.

It's Like a Parking spot you may not find any for an hour, see people taking more room then others, and opening on the spot

That's why there are security cameras. And besides, if someone is stupid enough to leave anything of real value on a chair and they leave it there for hours, they only have themselves to blame. :rolleyes:

5 Minutes? Really? So if I were to take a 10 minute dip in the pool while leaving my things on the chair, this would be "fair game" to you?

I definitely agree with the chair hogs who save chairs and then go out of the pool area to do whatever it is they are doing except sitting by the pool. But if I leave my chair for a few minutes to take a dip in the pool, and find that someone has moved my stuff, yeah, I'm gonna be mad.

That's why there are security cameras. And besides, if someone is stupid enough to leave anything of real value on a chair and they leave it there for hours, they only have themselves to blame. :rolleyes:

Camera or not my friend. the point I was getting at and filling in with items if a wallet/purse to a simple piece of paper..

People will always find a way to... fill the rest in if you like....

It's funny must be a ship game people play. nothing better to do with their time while onboard..

Hunny lets go have lunch, all the elderly are playing cards...

WHy a balcony is by far the best place, oh look a camera.....

This is about 7:30 AM on Summit:

DSCF6555.jpg

DSCF6554.jpg

It seemed that the seats in the sun were the first to be reserved.

Thanks for the photos! They speak louder than words.

If those cheap clips and a towel are on the loungers, then those should be removed if no one sits there for an hour. We were at a resort a few years ago, where the staff would remove ALL towels, flip flops, etc if they were placed before 9:00am. The pool bar staff would note which lounges had not been used for awhile and the pool attendant would remove the items when others needed the seats. Monitoring can be done by the cruise lines or resort. I see a future where those passengers staying in higher priced staterooms have confirmed access to pool seating...or charging passengers a fee to sit in the more popular deck locations. I would hate to see that occur. My husband loves sitting on deck. However, he must have shade due to multiple skin cancers. We have been sailing on smaller ships in recent years where the chair hogs are not an issue. Thanks to this thread, we know what we need to do to get the shade.

I think having a big group of chairs reserved with "someone from our party" always there is just as bad. Why tie up multiple chairs all day if you're not really using them? The lengths people go to to justify selfishness is astounding to me.

Edited by bEwAbG

I think having a big group of chairs reserved with "someone from our party" always there is just as bad. Why tie up multiple chairs all day if you're not really using them? The lengths people go to to justify selfishness is astounding to me.

We are using them. We are a group who are vacationing as a family. That's the purpose of the vacation.

We are using them. We are a group who are vacationing as a family. That's the purpose of the vacation.

If all seats are in use, and one member of your family is holding chairs all day for the rest, shame on you for being so inconsiderate! If you think your family deserves reserved seating at the pool all day, you need to rent a cabana.

Edited by blizzardboy

If your butt is not in the chair, you're not using it. UNLESS you have just stepped away to use the washroom or to grab a bite to eat and you'll be back within a few minutes.

If your group isn't there for hours on end, you're not using them, you're hogging them to prevent others from enjoying their vacation.

If your butt is not in the chair, you're not using it. UNLESS you have just stepped away to use the washroom or to grab a bite to eat and you'll be back within a few minutes.

If your group isn't there for hours on end, you're not using them, you're hogging them to prevent others from enjoying their vacation.

Oh you're the one who comes down to the pool at 12:30 pm and expects 2 chairs right next to the pool? Who said we aren't using them. We get the ones we want and we use them.

Thanks for the photos! They speak louder than words.

If those cheap clips and a towel are on the loungers, then those should be removed if no one sits there for an hour. We were at a resort a few years ago, where the staff would remove ALL towels, flip flops, etc if they were placed before 9:00am. The pool bar staff would note which lounges had not been used for awhile and the pool attendant would remove the items when others needed the seats. Monitoring can be done by the cruise lines or resort. I see a future where those passengers staying in higher priced staterooms have confirmed access to pool seating...or charging passengers a fee to sit in the more popular deck locations. I would hate to see that occur. My husband loves sitting on deck. However, he must have shade due to multiple skin cancers. We have been sailing on smaller ships in recent years where the chair hogs are not an issue. Thanks to this thread, we know what we need to do to get the shade.

I think it might be time for a game of "Will it float?" with some flip flops!

I've heard the problem is "hours on end" and "5 minutes" of non use of a chair warrants losing them.

What IS a reasonable amount of time to leave the chair vacant without the fear of losing it?

I am one of those people who LOVES sitting by the pool ALL DAY LONG. I may leave my chair for several minutes to take a dip in the pool, or to go grab some food and bring it back to my chair. I don't want to have to worry about some overzealous chair police throwing my stuff off if I've been gone a few minutes longer than they think I should be.

I would NEVER leave my stuff on a chair while I go do another activity. When I leave my chair, it is with the intent of coming back shortly.

So what IS a reasonable amount of time to leave the chair vacant without losing it?

Yes. You have to get up 6:00 am to get loungers in the shade. We needed the shade. We never left the chairs unattended, there was always people from our party there. We had a plan. My sister had melanoma, we had no choice. If you don't need shade on the Summit finding a lounger is no problem.

We need the shade too as do a lot of people, but that doesn't justify what you did. My DH had melanoma and I burn easily but if we are not actually using the chairs, we would never, ever save a group of them and justify it by saying "people from our party are always there". That is not what is meant by using the chairs. That is saving the chairs and it's the reason there are never enough for those actually looking to sit in them.

You say you are using them. At any one time how many chairs were vacant? Was there ever a time when everyone was there for any length of time? If not, then you are hogging them.

We have gone early and grabbed two seats and then taken turns grabbing food and bringing it back, meaning we are never gone for more than about 15 minutes. If we are going to go do something else, even if it's just 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, we leave the seats so others can use them.

Edited by BND

I've heard the problem is "hours on end" and "5 minutes" of non use of a chair warrants losing them.

What IS a reasonable amount of time to leave the chair vacant without the fear of losing it?

I am one of those people who LOVES sitting by the pool ALL DAY LONG. I may leave my chair for several minutes to take a dip in the pool, or to go grab some food and bring it back to my chair. I don't want to have to worry about some overzealous chair police throwing my stuff off if I've been gone a few minutes longer than they think I should be.

I would NEVER leave my stuff on a chair while I go do another activity. When I leave my chair, it is with the intent of coming back shortly.

So what IS a reasonable amount of time to leave the chair vacant without losing it?

That's where a program like NCLs comes in. If you don't show in 30 minutes it's released for use. I'm told they are rigorously enforcing it, and they won't let one person save 6 or 7 loungers either as the same 30 minute rule applies. Click this link posted earlier for photo: http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/SeaSetter/2016-06-15%20Pool%20Police%20Tag%202.jpg Reminds me of parking enforcement marking tires with a piece of chalk on a stick in a 30 minute parking zone.

Edited by blizzardboy

Oh you're the one who comes down to the pool at 12:30 pm and expects 2 chairs right next to the pool? Who said we aren't using them. We get the ones we want and we use them.

Again, if your butt isn't in the seat, unless you're gone for a few minutes, it's NOT being used. Period.

Anyway, this is "point, set and match":

We need the shade too as do a lot of people, but that doesn't justify what you did. My DH had melanoma and I burn easily but if we are not actually using the chairs, we would never, ever save a group of them and justify it by saying "people from our party are always there". That is not what is meant by using the chairs. That is saving the chairs and it's the reason there are never enough for those actually looking to sit in them.

You say you are using them. At any one time how many chairs were vacant? Was there ever a time when everyone was there for any length of time? If not, then you are hogging them.

We have gone early and grabbed two seats and then taken turns grabbing food and bringing it back, meaning we are never gone for more than about 15 minutes. If we are going to go do something else, even if it's just 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, we leave the seats so others can use them.

30 minutes seems reasonable. 5 minutes does not.

The person who said 5 minutes said they wait 5 minutes before asking the pool attendant to start observing. Celebrity has a process in which they put a card on a chair with the time written on it and then will remove items after a set amount of time. I believe it's 30 minutes (they note the time limit on the card; it might be for a different amount of time). So, that would be at least 35 minutes of empty chair time before contents would be removed, assuming the pool attendant placed a card immediately. In reality, it would likely be closer to an hour from the time it was first reported. The pool attendants don't want to deal with conflict any more than anyone else does. If people wouldn't be rude, there would be no need to police anything.

Edited by bEwAbG

If I have to get up at 6:00 a.m. on vacation to get a lounger by the pool something is really wrong. I mean its vacation... Don't people sleep in anymore? I hope when we go in January on Summit there is sun on my balcony because I won't be on the pool deck by 6 a.m. or ever 8:30 a.m.. ;)

Week of May 1, 2016, on the Summit in the solarium (Gosh, I feel like I'm playing a game of Clue), anyway, if truly all the loungers were occupied by either a person or stuff, all one had to do was ask a pool attendant and they would remove towels, etc from a lounger that was sans a person. It happened more than once.