Infinity now. A quick review.

newmilford

Sailing on the 6/26 cruise to Alaska. Ship showing its age as to infrastructure. New Rooftop terrace nice but windy all the time and we are only doing 10-15. Updated poolside furniture vnice. The buffet real disappointing. At least as to breakfast. Guess I'm comparing to our last cruise on Royal Princess but have sailed Celebrity twice before and find quality and variety lacking so far. Best example is no real breakfast breads area, no croissants- sweet rolls etc, cereal served in three dispensers and due to the depth of the buffet bins and the very low glass covering you cannot reach the back row of items. I'm 6'4. My wife 5'1 and she agrees.

Positives so far have been great service, clean room and vgood Alaska specific programs/ Mickey Live. More to follow later in week.

Quick update: Internet been real good. Having the unlimited option as part of the GoBest makes it simple obviously.

We will be sailing on the Infinity on July 31st. It will be our first time on Celebrity. Look forward to any updates you might have during your trip (eg. how many evening chic nights, and of course what the food is like on board). Enjoy your cruise!

We have sailed on Infinity four times and never had a problem finding a wide variety of breads, including croissants.

I like Celebrity's Eggs Benedict station. Most cruise lines don't offer that choice.

While I respect the fact that others might have different taste and opinions - especially in regards to food - I find some things I read hard to believe and understand. Even more so when I have experienced it totally different myself.

This picture was taken on Infinity. This bread section is on the front wall when you enter Ocean View. There is more where they toast the bread for you and more at the rear wall where you can get eggs benedict etc.

I do agree with you on the very low glass covers (sneeze guards). But you just can´t please everybody. Remove them and someone else is going to complain about the food not beeing protected.

I also agree that it is hard to compare the Royal Princess with an M class Celebrity ship. S class would be the match here. I like M class for its charme and coziness.

Say hello to Mickey and his wife Jelena from me.

njsPM2hvcDUvstKP5vQMHbq34IBlBsL3us1bIy7W4VGMpIyqtQU9JNphW4OFlmdE9f-kBPr5ScqdY7jIOL0Ote-iOAVX-gkDXyNPWx2OgvBc3fLnBAh4l-hmY2m1qwBn1sI9b0qYRUNDsKasLV82Gi_ekJ-AJu_G6s7NN7Azo7Wxh8Y4I2sjWdFhjN374WewakZbG1Nx-hb7VHoC8Z4UE0RxORQQWwBaYxbesHi414o67bDMHynwc3fqC0BSpRjzI-NXWkOoUcmUiDdwt6TadGrgVjFIYg6HcnsF2LSlrCdP1RhfIafSpvtZ9jfy-nSCPMFJ_PuwexCefSMppiIBCjKVWDYVbkxB7w-aoQHiDyOZoUV5ZrALnuYq5uiOF614uW0im4r-ZuPjo1ME6iKoIOvDxVwnnWJ7GD7CijqQftZBOuPS1bgbAnXZrZeKtqwAOu-9CBGIiMYhL9aeLx902tg6equ9y19dzN6MFzdma9LAj1Tffn3Y1ryZt9TOnpXUzDCFuxlLjGxaUrlEIVI4xjvAkxc9D2vxsQldgg09lyIlQltNl6eTgtNbDtjB9odc6mjaOVryGMAfYwdH1Xi-LLj7x4gvps3m=w1432-h955-no

Edited by Miaminice

Regarding the breakfast buffet, perhaps you're not seeing all of the offerings by not walking to the aft areas. The aft elevators and stairs bisect the buffet area. We had an aft cabin, so came up the aft stairs and veered aft to browse. Made to order eggs, waffles, pancakes, breakfast meats, frittatas (not every day), grilled vegetables, toasting station, frui, cereals, oatmeal, grits...I'm really not sure what else you might need. Croissants and pastries were being brought around by staff.

Thank you. Would love to hear about the weather as you go along and what type of clothing is needed. Is a Lands End/LL Bean 3 season jacket enough or to much? The biggest concern seems to be how heavy of a coat do we really need to bring? I would greatly appreciate it, if you would also comment on your shore excursions. Enjoy your trip.

We will be sailing on the Infinity on July 31st. It will be our first time on Celebrity. Look forward to any updates you might have during your trip (eg. how many evening chic nights, and of course what the food is like on board). Enjoy your cruise!

If you don't mind, when you go on your trip, could you please take a picture of the Tuscan Grill menu? They are supposed to change it in July (I hope).

Have a great time too! We are going to Alaska on the Infinity in June 2017 and can't wait! Suggestions for tours would be great too!

Thanks for your review!

Update: guess buffet issue is really due to design and comparison to larger ships/ newer.

Evening chic: Only one this cruise, first sea day. Dress from casual to tux but the upscale end very sparse.

Weather: 70's Vancouver, as we enter Icy Strait looks like 50's and no rain. Three season jacket fine.

Select dining: Make advance res for non port days. Makes much easier than dealing with lines (short but there) around 545-700. Food is fine in mdr.

MickeyLive: Do all his shows and discussions in Constellation lounge. After all you are here for Alaska insights.

Icy Point update: whale watching excursion real good. Organized and first trip off boat, directly off from deck 1. 7-8 whales for a good hour.

Silent disco nite: good fun. Headsets with 3station choices given out on deck 4, walk around with music in your ears only. Watch people grooving away.

While I respect the fact that others might have different taste and opinions - especially in regards to food - I find some things I read hard to believe and understand. Even more so when I have experienced it totally different myself.

This picture was taken on Infinity. This bread section is on the front wall when you enter Ocean View. There is more where they toast the bread for you and more at the rear wall where you can get eggs benedict etc.

I do agree with you on the very low glass covers (sneeze guards). But you just can´t please everybody. Remove them and someone else is going to complain about the food not beeing protected.

I also agree that it is hard to compare the Royal Princess with an M class Celebrity ship. S class would be the match here. I like M class for its charme and coziness.

Say hello to Mickey and his wife Jelena from me.

njsPM2hvcDUvstKP5vQMHbq34IBlBsL3us1bIy7W4VGMpIyqtQU9JNphW4OFlmdE9f-kBPr5ScqdY7jIOL0Ote-iOAVX-gkDXyNPWx2OgvBc3fLnBAh4l-hmY2m1qwBn1sI9b0qYRUNDsKasLV82Gi_ekJ-AJu_G6s7NN7Azo7Wxh8Y4I2sjWdFhjN374WewakZbG1Nx-hb7VHoC8Z4UE0RxORQQWwBaYxbesHi414o67bDMHynwc3fqC0BSpRjzI-NXWkOoUcmUiDdwt6TadGrgVjFIYg6HcnsF2LSlrCdP1RhfIafSpvtZ9jfy-nSCPMFJ_PuwexCefSMppiIBCjKVWDYVbkxB7w-aoQHiDyOZoUV5ZrALnuYq5uiOF614uW0im4r-ZuPjo1ME6iKoIOvDxVwnnWJ7GD7CijqQftZBOuPS1bgbAnXZrZeKtqwAOu-9CBGIiMYhL9aeLx902tg6equ9y19dzN6MFzdma9LAj1Tffn3Y1ryZt9TOnpXUzDCFuxlLjGxaUrlEIVI4xjvAkxc9D2vxsQldgg09lyIlQltNl6eTgtNbDtjB9odc6mjaOVryGMAfYwdH1Xi-LLj7x4gvps3m=w1432-h955-no

Thanks for posting...looks very basic but adequate...gone are the days of exquisitely baked breads and rolls on X.

Looking forward to our Oct ABC Island cruise in Oct on Inf

Update: Hubbard.

Unbelievable day. Said to be a once in five year visit to Hubbard. 1mile out with ice, 50 + weather, brilliant sun, calving all over.

Must also comment that stage shows may be best we have seen in 17 cruises. Well done.

Mdr tonite: absolutely great branzino.

Thanks for posting...looks very basic but adequate...gone are the days of exquisitely baked breads and rolls on X.

Looking forward to our Oct ABC Island cruise in Oct on Inf

Not entirely... ;)

This was only one section on Infinity. There were others, I just can´t find a photo.

AND... There´s an even larger selcetion on S class ships. Maybe it is not necessarily more, but the layout of the breakfast buffet makes it look different.

Breakfast on Reflection (look at the first few seconds for the bread selection)

[YOUTUBE]vrk-P3tIXFY[/YOUTUBE]

Breakfast on Silhouette

[YOUTUBE]gzK3picuyp4[/YOUTUBE]

Breakfast on Eclipse

[YOUTUBE]GKWjtf3la64[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Miaminice

Unbelievable day. Said to be a once in five year visit to Hubbard. 1mile out with ice, 50 + weather, brilliant sun, calving all over.

Must also comment that stage shows may be best we have seen in 17 cruises. Well done.

I am completely envious we only got 3 miles near the glacier and that was fantastic on our 19th June Vancouver sailing

Wow, reading your comments I really get to appreciate how close we got to Hubbard Glacier on Radiance otS. Our Captain said he never got this close before - but we kind of thought he probably always says that...

LsiLXvwbkqPmvtL18

https://goo.gl/photos/LsiLXvwbkqPmvtL18

Edited by Miaminice

Not entirely... ;)

This was only one section on Infinity. There were others, I just can´t find a photo.

AND... There´s an even larger selcetion on S class ships. Maybe it is not necessarily more, but the layout of the breakfast buffet makes it look different.

Breakfast on Reflection (look at the first few seconds for the bread selection)

[YOUTUBE]vrk-P3tIXFY[/YOUTUBE]

Breakfast on Silhouette

[YOUTUBE]gzK3picuyp4[/YOUTUBE]

Breakfast on Eclipse

[YOUTUBE]GKWjtf3la64[/YOUTUBE]

Very nicely done...thanks for posting.

It is hard to get a true feeling for the enormity of that glacier unless you get to see another ship or boat in front of it for perspective.

They used to lower one of the lifeboats at Hubbard Glacier and some crew members would go out to retrieve some glacier ice to bring back to the cruise ship. When they did that, it gave a true appreciation of the size of the glacier, compared to the tiny lifeboat in front of it.

But they did not do it on our recent cruises.

So I don't know if something happened that caused them to stop doing it, of if we just happened to be on cruises where it was not done.

Also, in past years sometimes another ship would be arriving at the glacier as we were leaving, or they would be leaving as we were arriving, so we could see the other ship in front of the glacier.

On the May 29th Infinity cruise this year, the captain told us that the rangers who come on board there restrict how close to the glacier the ship is allowed to go, and on this cruise it was half a mile.

This year the May 29 Infinity cruise got in much closer to the glacier than the May 22 cruise did.

The May 22 cruise did not even get past Haenke Island, which blocked off the view of the right end of the glacier.

The May 29 cruise went in beyond Haenke Island, so the passengers could see all the way to the end of the face of the glacier. That end of the glacier calved several times while we were looking at it.

The captain even took the ship across in front of the glacier and then around on the other side of Haenke Island.

Same captain, same ship, same glacier, same island -- one week apart.

In previous years we also saw this happen on the Millennium, where the ship could not get close to Hubbard Glacier on its northbound route, for one reason or another, and then two days later on the southbound trip, everything was fine and the ship was able to get in very close.

But for people who only get one chance to see Hubbard Glacier, it can be very disappointing if your ship does not get in close to it on the day you happen to be there.

That is what happened to us years ago on our very first Celebrity cruise to Alaska.

I was on the ship same time as you were newmilford and I have to say that day at Hubbard was picture perfect! 1 mile away and the calving we saw that day...there are no words! I will never forget that scenery and not to mention the awesome Christmas picture we took that day! SPECTACULAR!

"Thanks for posting...looks very basic but adequate...gone are the days of exquisitely baked breads and rolls on X."

I spent most of my recent cruise avoiding the exquisite looking pastries in the case at Cafe Al Bacio. Temptation got the better of me...had half a chocolate croissant on the last day!

Sailing on the 6/26 cruise to Alaska. Ship showing its age as to infrastructure.

Cruised on Infinity fr 11 days last May. We thought she was in terrific condition. Saw no deficiencies in infrastructure.

The buffet real disappointing. At least as to breakfast. Guess I'm comparing to our last cruise on Royal Princess

If you think the breakfast buffet was lacking on the Infinity, try comparing to the Star Princess. Infinity is waaaay better.

the very low glass covering you cannot reach the back row of items. I'm 6'4. My wife 5'1 and she agrees.

Don't blame Celebrity. The new "sneeze guards" are a requirement of the US Health Dept for all cruise ships sailing in US waters. The technical and design requirements are very specific.

The Virtual Disco in the Martini Bar is lots of fun. Try it at least once. This is an experiment that is exclusive to the Infinity for the time being.

We really enjoyed Infinity, especially all the staff. Wonderful crew!

Edited by El Crucero