'Celebrity Cruises Wants To Hear From You' Survey

downsmead

Just had an email from Celebrity - 'We are inviting a select group to participate in a survey to help us better understand your preferences and experiences. By completing this survey, you will help to enhance our products and services. Your feedback is very valuable to us!'

So, I entered my age range, sex, country of residence, then declined to say my earnings, at which point I was no longer required to take part in the survey. My feedback could not have been that valuable to them :rolleyes:. On the other hand, I have a better understanding of their preferences :D.

We received the same inquiry and also posted that we preferred not to disclose income. Apparently, this survey was primarily determining income demographics of Celebrity's guests. I am never comfortable posting on line my financial info even in general terms.

Wonder if new marketing guru suggested this approach...

Our last post cruise survey was more a pr marketing tool than something that seemed to invite honest feedback....if one gave a positive comment they wanted your name and permission to use in for adv purposes....obvious answer NO

I declined my age and survey over.

I do hope they needed to ask for your age on purpose because they didn't want to link previous sailings to the survey. If that's the case, and not a failing IT department, that's a beautiful example of privacy by design. A bit more work and cost to everyone involved, but that's how it should be done.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to spend some time answering some questions about Sushi on deck 5. Nobody is complaining that they didn't need the fresh fruit in their cabin, everyone gives the steward a 9.5, and only surveys can show that less than half of the passengers know they can order 20 lobster tails if they wanted to. I'm sure these surveys are the only reliable way to find out how to make a better product.

I got the e mail on Saturday and set about the survey. To those concerned about giving away your income-you can choose from any of the salary ranges without having to tell the truth. That way you can continue and see what's ahead.

I didn't get all the way to the end as the Qualtrics software fails during the questions asking you to list in order of importance 6 aspects of cruising that most appeal- Destination, Accommodations, Bars and Nightlife etc. Even the people X hire for their surveys are computer illiterate.

X sent me an e mail today hoping I'll return to finish the survey but again I come up against the same garbage software. I replied to the e mail pointing out the software issue.

The biggest section of questions was on dining which makes me think this survey is for the Edge class: questions like- would I be interested in multiple smaller MDRs with different themed menus and moving among them at will over the course of the cruise or would I like a set pattern of movement where the same waiters and table mates move with me in a rotation of dining rooms (sounds like Disney), or would I like fixed traditional dining in one MDR only or Anytime Dining only from a choice of dining rooms with a different table and waiters each night (Princess has long had this on two of their ships but the food is the same in each-only the decor and one signature dish sets them apart).

Just FYI,

Norris

I didn't get all the way to the end as the Qualtrics software fails during the questions asking you to list in order of importance 6 aspects of cruising that most appeal- Destination, Accommodations, Bars and Nightlife etc. Even the people X hire for their surveys are computer illiterate.

Funny but sad. Apparently they're unable to recognize competence.

So, I entered my age range, sex, country of residence, then declined to say my earnings, at which point I was no longer required to take part in the survey. My feedback could not have been that valuable to them :rolleyes:. On the other hand, I have a better understanding of their preferences :D.

[/font]

Not really their 'preferences' but just that they want to understand different customers better. So when they get the results they can say e.g. passengers earning over $1m want exclusive suite dining, while passengers under $100k want a range of speciality restaurants (as a hypothetical example).

It's just about trying to see whether there are any common characteristics in preferences to help with understanding customer groups better. If they don't know the characteristics of the customer groups then it's just one big blob of customer preferences, which makes it harder to customise then.

Not really their 'preferences' but just that they want to understand different customers better. So when they get the results they can say e.g. passengers earning over $1m want exclusive suite dining, while passengers under $100k want a range of speciality restaurants (as a hypothetical example).

It's just about trying to see whether there are any common characteristics in preferences to help with understanding customer groups better. If they don't know the characteristics of the customer groups then it's just one big blob of customer preferences, which makes it harder to customise then.

I agree. I would think a survey without general age and income data would not be as useful.

Of course anyone that is uncomfortable providing general information in those categories are welcome not to participate. I am not sure it is fair to criticize the survey designer for requiring that information for their particular survey. I am sure there are surveys were that information is not important, but perhaps not this one.

I just took the survey and I didn't feel their demoraphic questions were out of line. I have worked in market research and have also participated in quite a few studies. They end the survey when people decline to give their income because they determine that they aren't going get relevant information. If they want the opinion of a cetain demographic and someone declines to identfy where they fall in that demographic, then they end the survey. Nothing negative there, just plain ole market research. The survey mostly asked questions about dining scenarios and how interested I was in them.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I just took the survey and I didn't feel their demoraphic questions were out of line. I have worked in market research and have also participated in quite a few studies. They end the survey when people decline to give their income because they determine that they aren't going get relevant information. If they want the opinion of a cetain demographic and someone declines to identfy where they fall in that demographic, then they end the survey. Nothing negative there, just plain ole market research. The survey mostly asked questions about dining scenarios and how interested I was in them.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

The information provided could be totally irrelevant then in quite a few instances if many do exactly as the poster above did and ticked any box, so are you even obtaining a true picture? X are contacting existing customers, they know their average annual spend with their company and they know the type of cabins/suite they usually book, so surely finding their preferences on dining would be more useful than not having them fill a questionnaire at all? It would be different if they were new customers, but in this case, they are pre-existing pax they are specifically targeting ;). I'm not in Market Research, as you can probably tell :D.

Edited by villauk

The information provided could be totally irrelevant then in quite a few instances if many do exactly as the poster above did and ticked any box, so are you even obtaining a true picture?

Statistically analysis accounts that not everyone tells the truth, or just gives the right answer for whatever reason. The same issue arises with almost all surveys so there's a variety of techniques that accommodate that.

Statistically analysis accounts that not everyone tells the truth, or just gives the right answer for whatever reason. The same issue arises with almost all surveys so there's a variety of techniques that accommodate that.

That maybe the case, but surely it's better to obtain more replies than alienating your existing customers from the off - as I stated above, you already know their annual spend with your company :confused:? Who is going to tell an outside agency such as a cruise line their actual true income, if any (remember this is not an anonymous survey as they are canvassing particular current pax)? Would you?

This survey was also sent out on a 'blind' basis to the general (survey answering) public not only to Celebrity customers who may or may not have cruised. It is the type of survey used for strategic planning.

Appreciate some of the info being posted

one wonders if Edge will focus on high income/asset cruiser only....

Some of the dining questions are revealing/concerning Having to rotate on a set schedule is not appealing to us...nor are we fans of open dining hrs.. We are fearing a loss of AQ class and BLU....but hopeful S class ships will continue the current dining system

That is very true,I will answer as truthful as I could.

This will determine the direction where they going to head to.

Your next new ship from Celebrity could determine from the survey.Hope those have the survey can take that seriously.

Edited by iSailor

That maybe the case, but surely it's better to obtain more replies than alienating your existing customers from the off - as I stated above, you already know their annual spend with your company :confused:? Who is going to tell an outside agency such as a cruise line their actual true income, if any (remember this is not an anonymous survey as they are canvassing particular current pax)? Would you?

I haven't seen the survey, but if it's done as usually done, it is being run by the agency and for your privacy that information is not shared with them. They only get essential information to contact you for the purpose of the survey, not your whole cruising history - and revenue which is separate again.

Also, your spend with the line is not the same as your income. You may be a new cruiser in which case there isn't much history to build, and also people have different profiles e.g. retired people may have lower incomes, but a higher spend due to sufficient funds, and lots of time. Whereas higher incomes may spend less per annum, but in a higher suite. Two different characteristics which build a different profile. Another significant example is those with a larger income - but spread it across different lines. Thus your spend may not be as high as your income profile and tastes would realise.

As for revealing income, it's common for many surveys so not something especially odd. If you're not willing to reveal that which is fine, it makes it harder to build a profile - and may not be worthwhile, so better to go on to complete profiles, even if fewer in number.

Edited by The_Big_M