San Juan Port Question

bjtomko

I apologize in advance. I have tried to look for this answer, but my computer has not been cooperating.

When porting out of San Juan, what time is muster drill? We have a later flight than I would like and I just want to check before I book. It would be great to come in the day before, but finances don't allow.

Thanks!

I apologize in advance. I have tried to look for this answer, but my computer has not been cooperating.

When porting out of San Juan, what time is muster drill? We have a later flight than I would like and I just want to check before I book. It would be great to come in the day before, but finances don't allow.

Thanks!

I'm not sure anyone can help you unless you decide to tell us which cruise you are on or what time the ship departs from port. Muster always happens prior to ship departure time, whether that is 4:00 PM or 10:00 PM.

Sorry. Porting out of San Juan on Summit departing at 8:30pm. I thought all ships departed out of San Juan at the same time, so my bad.

Then you can count on the muster drill to happen before 8:30 PM... probably around 8:00 PM.

For Summit out of San Juan departing at 8:30, they have been scheduling the muster drill for 7:45.

So if you want dinner in the dining room, it means going either early or late as they typically don't seat people from about 7 pm on, until after the muster drill is over.

I understand the necessity to fly to SJU and board the same day.

Do not plan a flight that arrives later than 5ish. Luggage takes a while and a cab from the airport to the cruise port (Pan Am Pier) takes at least 20 minutes.

For the last several years Celebrity has eliminated the need to wear your life vest for the muster drill but the stations are very congested and you really don't want to have your carry on with you. A quick stop in your cabin before the drill is highly recommended. And if you need to sit during the drill you should be at your station around 7 - 7:15. Announcements regarding the drill will begin around the same time.

I understand the necessity to fly to SJU and board the same day.

Do not plan a flight that arrives later than 5ish. Luggage takes a while and a cab from the airport to the cruise port (Pan Am Pier) takes at least 20 minutes.

If checking luggage for the flight, also allow time to file a missing luggage report in case your checked luggage does not show up at SJU baggage claim, which has been known to happen from time to time.

Typically, missing luggage will arrive on the next flight and be delivered to you at your hotel.

But if your ship is leaving that day, the checked luggage may not catch up with you until a later date at some downline port.

If I needed to fly in on the day of the cruise, I would take only carry-on luggage.

Or if I absolutely had to check a bag, at least I would be sure to pack all essentials and enough clothing for a few days in my carry-ons.

It is also a good idea to be prepared with backup plans, knowing where the next port is that you can catch up with the ship and how you would get there -- just in case.

If checking luggage for the flight, also allow time to file a missing luggage report in case your checked luggage does not show up at SJU baggage claim, which has been known to happen from time to time.

Typically, missing luggage will arrive on the next flight and be delivered to you at your hotel.

But if your ship is leaving that day, the checked luggage may not catch up with you until a later date at some downline port.

If I needed to fly in on the day of the cruise, I would take only carry-on luggage.

Or if I absolutely had to check a bag, at least I would be sure to pack all essentials and enough clothing for a few days in my carry-ons.

It is also a good idea to be prepared with backup plans, knowing where the next port is that you can catch up with the ship and how you would get there -- just in case.

Very good points, also Traffic is horrendous after 4:00. Its not far, but traffic is killer. I understand the not being able to arrive the day before, accommodations in San Juan are over the top.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good points, also Traffic is horrendous after 4:00. Its not far, but traffic is killer. I understand the not being able to arrive the day before, accommodations in San Juan are over the top.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Not only are you cutting it very short with a flight on the day of departure, you would be missing the most interesting port of your cruise, San Juan. There are several lower budget hotels in the area, with prices around $100. Check Trivago.

We also do red-eye flights to arrive on the day of departure. We do this on many of our cruises out of necessity (DH can't get more time off work). We've never missed a cruise yet and usually get to the ship very early on the day of departure.

What I do is have a Plan B and a Plan C in case something goes wrong along the way with Plan A. With these itineraries, it's pretty easy to catch up to the ship in St. Croix or whatever your first port stop is. It's not ideal, but as complicated as flying is nowadays, you have to plan for every eventuality and remember that it's at your expense unless you've used ChoiceAir or have independent insurance (a must for these conditions).

I'm not sure anyone can help you unless you decide to tell us which cruise you are on or what time the ship departs from port. Muster always happens prior to ship departure time, whether that is 4:00 PM or 10:00 PM.

Not true, we've been on 2 Ensenada to Hawaii cruises where the muster was the morning of the next day. Kinda weird, but both cruises had evening embarkations. I think technically the ship has 24 hours to have the muster.

Found this on cruise critic :D

The SOLAS regulations pertaining to muster drills are fairly short and straightforward. They require that the drill take place within 24 hours of embarkation

• 1 month later...

Sorry for jumping in... does Celebrity always embark/debark from the PanAm pier? :confused:

We've done the southern route a couple of times on Carnival and they embark/debark in OSJ, so it never occurred to me that it would be different. I know silly me and assuming. LOL :rolleyes:

Sorry for jumping in... does Celebrity always embark/debark from the PanAm pier? :confused:

We've done the southern route a couple of times on Carnival and they embark/debark in OSJ, so it never occurred to me that it would be different. I know silly me and assuming. LOL :rolleyes:

Departing from that pier for many years.

J.