Hurricane Season reports higher activity this year ? Is this true

Bigmaan

hello

Coming from Australia for two week Carribean Cruise Late september /october. Reading on web that they expect to have greater number of more serious hurricanes this September/October ? Higher water temps etc creating the problem etc.

I know it is almost impossible to say but based on peoples experience, anything to be really concerned about ? Ships navigating systems are brillant and I have all the travel insurances. Just dont want to have a bad two weeks......

Joys of travel.

We live in FL and we hear this story every year!! 🤣 We have cruised in September, October knowing it is hurricane season. We have been lucky. Last year we sailed the week of hurricane Matthew. We were far enough away that we had no problems other than we missed Nassau. All of our friends and family were worrying about us but we had a great trip.

They will always stay far enough away from bad weather. I envy you having 2 weeks!! Enjoy.

Hello Mick,

We have been cruising in October or September for almost 50 years. The very worst we experienced was 1 bad night on maybe three occasions: a mid Atlantic hurricane on QE2, the remnant of a storm off the Carolinas on the Bremen, and 1 bad night on the RCI Jewel of the Seas between Carolinas and Bermuda...that's it! I chalk those up to great experiences. Bottom line; don't worry about it!!

See you onboard Divina September 30th. :)

hello

Coming from Australia for two week Carribean Cruise Late september /october. Reading on web that they expect to have greater number of more serious hurricanes this September/October ? Higher water temps etc creating the problem etc.

I know it is almost impossible to say but based on peoples experience, anything to be really concerned about ? Ships navigating systems are brillant and I have all the travel insurances. Just dont want to have a bad two weeks......

Joys of travel.

Yes, Sep-Oct very height hurricane season. I learned the hard way not to cruise on this time. Our Sep. cruise was cancelled :mad: We got our money back in full . Its not happens very often but it did happened to me. :rolleyes: Cruise can go from Caribbean to Canada for example . I guess you already paid for your cruise so just hope for best. this year so far was not so bad with hurricanes .

If you have travel insurance you will be fine. For us, the destination is always the ship so if the ship goes a different direction that would be fine with us. Most cruise lines have lower rates during hurricane season and that helps to take the sting off of occasional bumps. The main thing: you will be safe.

As others have mentioned, September is the historical peak of the north Atlantic Hurricane season (the eastern/mid Pacific; Mexico & Hawaii season is a little different). Since I live in Houston, the end of hurricane season is always something that I look forward too. Notice that I said that the "Atlantic" season's peak is in September, which means that not all the Atlantic is at the same level of risk at all the same time, but that highest number of storms have been in September. For example, there has never been a named tropical storm (a storm with winds more than 39mph) hit Texas after mid-October. By October, the higher risk areas start to move east as cold fronts start coming into the Texas area which would push any tropical storms east.

If you want to keep track of hurricane activity, below are links to my "go to" sites. (The second site actually includes links to the first site, so I visit it whenever tropical storms are floating around the Atlantic.)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/