Panama Canal Excursions - Which do you recommend?

kandj05

Totally confused regarding the Panama Canal stop. HA website doesn't show any shore excursions. I can't figure out where or when the boat docks. I'm left not knowing what I'd like to do or how. If someone can enlighten me I sure would appreciate it.

It's New Years Day and no one answers the phone at HA.

Marvin

It would be helpful if you told us the ship (HAL has several that go through the Canal), type of cruise (full transit, which usually don't stop in Panama, or partial transit, which do the Gatun Lake/Colon action very commonly discussed here on this board) perhaps the dates...

Or, you could look on the HAL website for specifics.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Marvin you are probably lucky you did not get through to anyone today as their advice on a day like today might be a bit dicier than usual;). As Bruce indicated, hit us back with a little info and maybe we could steer you in a better direction.

Since the Canal and Panama are subjects I am much more familiar with, I will just point out some of the highlights if the other port calls. I go into much more detail for Panama (Colon) at the end.

I sort of took the day off in Puerta Vallarta and did not do much... but if you are feeling a little homesick across the street from the pier there is a pretty big Wal-Mart! I'm kidding about going there, but it does seem surreal.

There really is not a whole to do in Puerto Quetzal unless you take a tour. Going to Antigua near Guatemala City in the highlands is very popular. Wonderfully preserved old city with some cooler weather, something you really don't expect to find on a cruise to the tropics.

Puntarenas, I never took any of the longer tours into San Jose or into the Volcanic parks... stayed nearer to the coast, cruised the Tarcoles River where they had some the biggest crocodiles I have seen in the wild. On another cruise we went to a nice little town (I think it was Orotina) in the foothills and entertained by folkloric dances, music and such. Stopped in a fairly typical roadside restaurant that provided a great view of the ship in Puntarenas off in the distance. By the way the maduros (fried ripe plantain) fried yucca and tostones (or patacones depending on the country, which are double fried green plantain) were great as well! Don't worry... nothing healthy in any of those selections, but perhaps you can say it was all organic:D!

Cartagena, probably the old walled City will give you a great deal of history, going back to the Spanish Inquisition. Well preserved architecturally. You could also take in La Popa Monastery or the fortress of San Felipe which is certainly a very prominent fixture in Cartagena.

Colon; First the disclaimer... there is nothing for you to do in Colon. This particularly true if you would just like to hit the streets on your own. Other than the mall that is connected to the pier there is not anything for you to do or go on your own without the benefit of a tour or at least a taxi to take you somewhere. There are so many great things to do in Panama and it is a real shame Colon could not be more inviting.

Now that is out of the way, I'm not sure where to begin... I am going to assume that your stop in Colon is a full day stop either before or after your transit and not what is called a "technical" stop. Probably the tour that is going to be the most obvious choice would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by "ferry." Unless you don't get enough Canal from your transit on your ship, then this tour is going to be a bit a repeat of your transit. You will be retracing a portion the exact route you were on during your transit. Now, for the Canal aficionado like me, that would not be a bad thing. However, I try to see things through other peoples likes and for some this could possibly be too much of the same thing.

Probably one of the most popular non-Canal related tour would be to the Embera Indians. Depending on which village that is visited, you can get really off the beaten path. For many this is as close to a National Geographic experience any of us ever get. I can't remember hearing anyone having significant negative comments about this tour.

There is another tour that depending on the cruise line is called the Shaping of Panama. This tour takes you to the Pacific side to Panama City where the ruins of Old Panama, Casco Antiguo along with modern Panama City are combined. Quite a contrast.

For the railroad buff there is always a ride on the first and the fastest... better make that first and the quickest transcontinental railroad in the Americas. A lot of history on those rails.

There are a number of other tours that are offered that you may be interested in, but the ones I mentioned are certainly the ones that attract the majority of cruisers. Be glad to elaborate the best I can on any of the Panama tours if you have any questions.

We are doing the "2 day canal experience" on the Island Princess so any additional info on Panama would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We are doing the "2 day canal experience" on the Island Princess so any additional info on Panama would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I really think the only you will have to decide is if you would like to add on to your Canal transit experience by taking tours that focus on the Canal or have a look at the cultural and historic side of Panama. Many good choices here, so just go in the direction you think will be of interest.

• 2 months later...
Since the Canal and Panama are subjects I am much more familiar with, I will just point out some of the highlights if the other port calls. I go into much more detail for Panama (Colon) at the end.

I sort of took the day off in Puerta Vallarta and did not do much... but if you are feeling a little homesick across the street from the pier there is a pretty big Wal-Mart! I'm kidding about going there, but it does seem surreal.

There really is not a whole to do in Puerto Quetzal unless you take a tour. Going to Antigua near Guatemala City in the highlands is very popular. Wonderfully preserved old city with some cooler weather, something you really don't expect to find on a cruise to the tropics.

Puntarenas, I never took any of the longer tours into San Jose or into the Volcanic parks... stayed nearer to the coast, cruised the Tarcoles River where they had some the biggest crocodiles I have seen in the wild. On another cruise we went to a nice little town (I think it was Orotina) in the foothills and entertained by folkloric dances, music and such. Stopped in a fairly typical roadside restaurant that provided a great view of the ship in Puntarenas off in the distance. By the way the maduros (fried ripe plantain) fried yucca and tostones (or patacones depending on the country, which are double fried green plantain) were great as well! Don't worry... nothing healthy in any of those selections, but perhaps you can say it was all organic:D!

Cartagena, probably the old walled City will give you a great deal of history, going back to the Spanish Inquisition. Well preserved architecturally. You could also take in La Popa Monastery or the fortress of San Felipe which is certainly a very prominent fixture in Cartagena.

Colon; First the disclaimer... there is nothing for you to do in Colon. This particularly true if you would just like to hit the streets on your own. Other than the mall that is connected to the pier there is not anything for you to do or go on your own without the benefit of a tour or at least a taxi to take you somewhere. There are so many great things to do in Panama and it is a real shame Colon could not be more inviting.

Now that is out of the way, I'm not sure where to begin... I am going to assume that your stop in Colon is a full day stop either before or after your transit and not what is called a "technical" stop. Probably the tour that is going to be the most obvious choice would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by "ferry." Unless you don't get enough Canal from your transit on your ship, then this tour is going to be a bit a repeat of your transit. You will be retracing a portion the exact route you were on during your transit. Now, for the Canal aficionado like me, that would not be a bad thing. However, I try to see things through other peoples likes and for some this could possibly be too much of the same thing.

Probably one of the most popular non-Canal related tour would be to the Embera Indians. Depending on which village that is visited, you can get really off the beaten path. For many this is as close to a National Geographic experience any of us ever get. I can't remember hearing anyone having significant negative comments about this tour.

There is another tour that depending on the cruise line is called the Shaping of Panama. This tour takes you to the Pacific side to Panama City where the ruins of Old Panama, Casco Antiguo along with modern Panama City are combined. Quite a contrast.

For the railroad buff there is always a ride on the first and the fastest... better make that first and the quickest transcontinental railroad in the Americas. A lot of history on those rails.

There are a number of other tours that are offered that you may be interested in, but the ones I mentioned are certainly the ones that attract the majority of cruisers. Be glad to elaborate the best I can on any of the Panama tours if you have any questions.

I have a similar question - our Panama tour will stop in Cartagena, Panama City, Quepos, Caldera and Acajutla - then on to the familiar territory of Cabo San Lucas and San Diego. But for those first cities I'm trying to learn which ones we can just do our own thing in a cab, whether there are good excursion opportunities available in the ports, and in which cases the cruise excursions are the best option. Thoughts appreciated!

I have a similar question - our Panama tour will stop in Cartagena, Panama City, Quepos, Caldera and Acajutla - then on to the familiar territory of Cabo San Lucas and San Diego. But for those first cities I'm trying to learn which ones we can just do our own thing in a cab, whether there are good excursion opportunities available in the ports, and in which cases the cruise excursions are the best option. Thoughts appreciated!

I've replied to your question on the separate thread you started.

When you say Panama City I assume that your ship will be actually stopping at Ft. Amador for Panama City and not docking in Colon. While I have not experienced it, there is a stop for the Hop on Off bus at Ft. Amador and then makes its rounds to various points of interest in PC that includes such places as Casco Viejo, Miraflores Locks as well as an assortment of other stops. It seems like most of the posters here that have reported back had favorable comments. I know at Ft. Amador and Cartagena as well you could just commandeer a cab to your liking and go from there.

As Turtles mentioned in the other thread Caldera is close to Puntarenas so I would guess you could expect similar offerings there... Quepos and Acajulta are unexplored at this time.

• 2 months later...
Only Colon is in Panama. Puerto Vallarta is covered extensively on the Mexican Rivera board. Similarly, Cartagena is covered on the Columbia board, Puerto Quertzal on the Guatemala board and Puntareanas on the Costa Rica board.

Since we're booked on an east to west full Panama Canal cruise I've appreciated the responses in this thread, but as a relative newbie still finding my way around the board this was especially helpful, CruiserBruce... thank you. The wealth of information on this forum is almost mind-boggling.

Since we're booked on an east to west full Panama Canal cruise I've appreciated the responses in this thread, but as a relative newbie still finding my way around the board this was especially helpful, CruiserBruce... thank you. The wealth of information on this forum is almost mind-boggling.

I totally agree about the wealth of info here. Could not cruise without it!

Let me add one additional thing, since I was stymied by it when I began to research the ports on our full transit of the Canal. The Costa Rica board is in the *Caribbean* Ports of Call forum. Who would have guessed that, since Costa Rica also borders the Pacific! :D

Turtles06, Kamloops50, Ruth and many others have always been so helpful to answer some specific questions and many of us are appreciative for everyone who can answer questions and even reference us to specific boards or posts by other cruisers that have more details. When we first started planning our trip to Panama Canal I did not find a lot of "current" posts or current information on some of the individual port of call boards so I was very appreciative for all who take time to share their experience

• 4 weeks later...
I really think the only you will have to decide is if you would like to add on to your Canal transit experience by taking tours that focus on the Canal or have a look at the cultural and historic side of Panama. Many good choices here, so just go in the direction you think will be of interest.

We ended up booking the Train Ride from Colon to the Gatun locks! The old train was fun and a pleasant way to see the country side. When we got to the locks we were able to see up close how the mules work! I found the locks fascinating and could hardly get enough of the history and workings of the locks, even though we had spent the whole day going through the canal the day before! It was great to see another ship traverse the locks! Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing partial transit with Norwegian Jade and have a 4 hour stop in Colon. i understand there is nothing to at that time. I'm just confused about the 4 hour stop if there is nothing to do there..

We are doing partial transit with Norwegian Jade and have a 4 hour stop in Colon. i understand there is nothing to at that time. I'm just confused about the 4 hour stop if there is nothing to do there..

The stop in Colon is primarily to pick up the passengers who elected ship's excursions after the Jade has locked up Gatun Locks. These passengers tender off the ship when it arrives at the Gatun Lake Anchorage. Those who remain on the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and the short trip to Colon, much of which you already covered that morning. While there is not enough time to take any tour in Colon, there is a shopping mall connected to the pier that is safe to browse around.

The stop in Colon is primarily to pick up the passengers who elected ship's excursions after the Jade has locked up Gatun Locks. These passengers tender off the ship when it arrives at the Gatun Lake Anchorage. Those who remain on the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and the short trip to Colon, much of which you already covered that morning. While there is not enough time to take any tour in Colon, there is a shopping mall connected to the pier that is safe to browse around.

Thank you! I wondered because the excursions for all the ports are already listed for our sailing but not the Gatun Lake ones, I guess they'll be posted closer to sailing date.

Thank you! I wondered because the excursions for all the ports are already listed for our sailing but not the Gatun Lake ones, I guess they'll be posted closer to sailing date.

I just answered a question on the NCL board this morning, a poster was concerned about the fact there were not any excursions listed for their partial transit cruise on the Jade next February. I think it is a safe assumption that they just not made final plans as to what ship's excursions will be offered.

edit: I just noticed that you saw the same post I was referring to... does seem a bit odd that they have not firmed up excursions particularly for your cruise which is earlier. Very few partial transit cruises do not offer ship's excursions from the Gatun Lake Anchorage, those cruises are certainly in the minority and usually don't make that short call at Colon. I still think they will show up.

Edited by BillB48

Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered. We have been to Colon before and did a trip to the Gatun Locks which we found interesting.

I now understand there is a 'ferry' which does a partial transit of the canal. Can somebody tell me where I can find information about it? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered. We have been to Colon before and did a trip to the Gatun Locks which we found interesting.

I now understand there is a 'ferry' which does a partial transit of the canal. Can somebody tell me where I can find information about it? Thank you.

If you are visiting Colon as part of a cruise you will be able to arrange the partial transit tour as a ship's excursion. Actually that will probably be the only way you will be able to book that particular tour as the cruise line will pretty much monopolize all of the available spaces. If by chance you are doing a land vacation in Panama then have a look at Panama Marine Adventures as they provide the partial transit tour. Here is a link for that tour and you can see when it is offered.

https://www.pmatours.net/pacific-queen/index.html

Bill

Thanks for your info. I had already looked at the website you provided and their tours are even more expensive than the ship excursion. Yes, we are on a cruise and have been there before, but not done the partial transit, which we'd like to do.

Bill

Thanks for your info. I had already looked at the website you provided and their tours are even more expensive than the ship excursion. Yes, we are on a cruise and have been there before, but not done the partial transit, which we'd like to do.

The only other thing I would suggest is to book the partial transit excursion right after you board or on line beforehand if that option is available. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
HAL has a miraflores lock/colonial panama excursion from Gatun. Anyone ever do this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[

Have not their tour but have done an amalgamation of tours and am familiar with the area, anything in particular that I could answer?