World cruise with school

Spnosila

I can't be the only one who questions...my family loves cruising, but many of the really great itineraries occur while the kids are in school. So I'm always forced to choose between education and enrichment (don't worry, I get the benefit of enrichment!) which got me to thinking... there are world cruises where you go for 90, 120 days...or any other combination of long cruises, and how many children are there on these cruises? None! But if there was a school on the ship which taught about the places being visited and various other things, maybe more families would consider this. Am I the only one who thinks this is an amazing idea? I would love to do a longer cruise but children dictate that this is not an option for me. Having something like this would :D

There was a brazilian couple who recently did a world tour with their children (on Oceania) I believe both kids were under 10. Some of it depends on where you are from and your approach to education

There would have to be teachers for a range of subjects, and ages. Plus the cruise line would have to provide cabins for the teachers, most of whom would prefer a solo cabin. And would the cruise line be paying them? EM

I used to volunteer at a children's cancer ward. When the children were privately tutored, they only got 2-3 hours of instruction per week, since that was all the district thought they needed in order to keep up with their classmates. You take the school day, cut out recess, lunch, art, music, pe, and assemblies and aren't left with as much time as you'd think. Plus if you are being tutored the instruction is exactly at the child's level, so it is much more efficient than in the classroom.

Your children would be exposed to so much art, culture and history on a world cruise so you would probably need to just provide some tutoring in reading and math in order to help them keep up if this is something you'd like to do. It can be hard and expensive to get internet access, but my 6 year old son is learning math online and online courses might be an option for a family on a world cruise.

Friends of ours travel the Caribbean on a sail boat 6 months out of the year with their son. They "boat school" him, with a home school curriculum and lots of enrichment and physical activities and play.

A few yrs. back I saw a story in the HAL magazine about a young European couple and their 2 children that did the World Cruise. Talk about an education! Sea days were a structured home school curriculum, and port days were hands on language, geography, history, etc. I assume the family was independently wealthy to be able to not work and be able to travel like that.

Roz

We homeschooled for grades 5-10 and did a number of 30+ days cruises. Comments by fellow passengers were fairly evenly split between those who thought it was wonderful for our son to see the world and those who thought that all children should be in a brick and mortar school.

There is a lot to consider in making such a decision but it can be amazing. It worked for us, my son is about to start law school and has an excellent grasp of the realities of life, has seen true poverty and extreme riches.