Rio to Barcelona?

Perhaps they changed their policy. I have spoken with Regent Air, Regent Excursions and Regent Air many times over the years and never had a problem (and we have a TA). Very strange!

Back to my previous post in which I responded to the idea that Regent may use less expensive airlines -- ones that Regent does not contract with to save money. In addition to Regent not wanting to put their passengers on a random airline, when Regent books flights for their passengers, even though they are not legally responsible to get them to the ship on time, they do whatever they can to assist their passengers. Part of assisting passengers is obviously contacting the airlines to get their passengers on another flight (probably at no charge to Regent). The contracted airlines likely have contact people that know Regent and can expedite Regent's requests. I don't think Regent would risk the hassle and time involved trying to work with a airline that they are not contracted with (or at least have at one time contracted with).

I have contacted Regent Air Dept. for all our bookings but I need to ask my TA to call Regent and have them authorize me to talk directly. First thing they ask for is your booking #:D

I have contacted Regent Air Dept. for all our bookings but I need to ask my TA to call Regent and have them authorize me to talk directly. First thing they ask for is your booking #:D

Thanks! This is a change. When I've called the Regent Air Dept. in the past, they asked for our booking # which I gave them and they proceeded to assist me with my question. We do prefer to select flights from the web and send them via email to our TA (in order of preference). This enables them to send it to their contact person at Regent. It doesn't take long before they get back to our TA with the results and our TA gets back to us as soon as they hear from Regent.

We want to book this cruise but have a serious flight problem. We need to fly from London to Rio direct. The only direct flight from London is BA and Regent have told us they do not have a contract for this with BA at least not in Business class. There are no seats available using airmiles. Any suggestions?

There is something very strange going on between BA and Regent UK.

For years Regent UK have been advertising in all their brochures that British Airways are their "Preferred Partner".

Then recently Regent started asking for significant extra money for BA non-stop flights and now they are saying they do not even have contracts with BA :rolleyes:

Perhaps a representative from Regent would like to explain to their UK customers what exactly is going on before all their loyal customers up-sticks and go over to Silversea or Seabourn - there are some very good deals being offered :cool:

eliana, I can only suggest that you double-check the situation with your TA and with Regent and then weigh up whether the inconvenience of an indirect flight outweighs the attraction of the cruise. What are the alternative flight arrangements being offered by Regent? - presumably Iberia via Madrid is one of the options?

There is something very strange going on between BA and Regent UK.

For years Regent UK have been advertising in all their brochures that British Airways are their "Preferred Partner".

Then recently Regent started asking for significant extra money for BA non-stop flights and now they are saying they do not even have contracts with BA :rolleyes:

Perhaps a representative from Regent would like to explain to their UK customers what exactly is going on before all their loyal customers up-sticks and go over to Silversea or Seabourn - there are some very good deals being offered :cool:

eliana, I can only suggest that you double-check the situation with your TA and with Regent and then weigh up whether the inconvenience of an indirect flight outweighs the attraction of the cruise. What are the alternative flight arrangements being offered by Regent? - presumably Iberia via Madrid is one of the options?

Why not check with your TA or call BA directly? Regent may have dropped their contract with BA in the U.K. (or other countries)for various reasons. Since it sounds like BA is hurting for money, they may have offered a contract with prices that were too high. After all, giving less service, poorer food quality and higher prices would not encourage Regent to contract with them. As it is, people on CC have had less than flattering things to say about BA this year. Regent in the U.S. and Canada has had a lot of changes with their BA contracts over the years. One year we could fly BA at no additional charge from Canada but not from the U.S. Then the contract switched and we had to pay to fly BA from Canada.

In terms of switching to Silversea or Seabourn, people that want to try them will do so anyway. A cruising friend just tried Silversea (also sails on Crystal) but will be onboard the Mariner with us later this year. IMO, there is nothing wrong with trying another cruise line to learn if the "grass is greener on the other side". Some people stay with other cruise lines while most return to to Regent.

Thanks! This is a change. When I've called the Regent Air Dept. in the past, they asked for our booking # which I gave them and they proceeded to assist me with my question. We do prefer to select flights from the web and send them via email to our TA (in order of preference). This enables them to send it to their contact person at Regent. It doesn't take long before they get back to our TA with the results and our TA gets back to us as soon as they hear from Regent.

TC, agree with you about finding our flights online ( itasoftware.com ) but like to go direct so I can make any changes in " real time ".

We want to book this cruise but have a serious flight problem. We need to fly from London to Rio direct. The only direct flight from London is BA and Regent have told us they do not have a contract for this with BA at least not in Business class. There are no seats available using aitmiles. Any suggestions?

....We are booked on this cruise and have direct flights with BA from Heathrow at 11.20am although we are not in business class ......

....We are booked on this cruise and have direct flights with BA from Heathrow at 11.20am although we are not in business class ......

Did Regent book the flights or did you book them yourselves?

Why not check with your TA or call BA directly?

Excuse me for being obtuse, but what is the objective in calling BA direct for a flight being booked via Regent?

IMO, there is nothing wrong with trying another cruise line to learn if the "grass is greener on the other side". Some people stay with other cruise lines while most return to to Regent.

Surely no one is suggesting that it is wrong to cruise with other companies; it is the individual customer's choice who they choose to cruise with.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that the majority of those that move their loyalty from Regent to other cruise lines always return to Regent?

Excuse me for being obtuse, but what is the objective in calling BA direct for a flight being booked via Regent?

Surely no one is suggesting that it is wrong to cruise with other companies; it is the individual customer's choice who they choose to cruise with.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that the majority of those that move their loyalty from Regent to other cruise lines always return to Regent?

Why wouldn't someone call BA if their flight was booked through Regent? Since you ask, our calls are generally about seats and food.

When you wrote "Perhaps a representative from Regent would like to explain to their UK customers what exactly is going on before all their loyal customers up-sticks and go over to Silversea or Seabourn...., it kind of sounded like a threat to Regent ("all their loyal customers....." could leave if they don't give details of what is going on). If this is not what you meant, I misunderstood your intent and apologize.

What I likely should have said is that the majority of CC posters that leave Regent eventually return (did not say "always return"). This is simply based on my years of being active on CC. I recall when some regular posters "left Regent" when they began some of their new programs but vividly remember passengers leaving when the included excursions went into effect. People also leave for other reasons (as we did for a short time). While I certainly cannot name the posters that have returned (many of them in the 2016, 2017), I remember them from before and followed some of their travels on other luxury cruise line boards. There are still some that say that they would return if Regent did away with included excursions (or permitted an opt out for a credit).

IMO, everyone has a breaking point. While included excursions wasn't it for us, another policy almost was. Plus, there is something to be said for trying the competition. The only luxury cruise line at the time that was acceptable (i.e. non smoking in suites and most areas of the ship, open seating in the dining venues, etc.) was Silversea. We tried it - liked it and would sail with them again..... however, ultimately it was not enough for us to leave Regent. We kind of dipped our toes into Oceania since we could get one of the largest suites for a cost less than Regent. The ships were gorgeous - service wonderful but, if it were up to me, we would not have done our second sailing on Oceania. I point these things out because I am someone that left Regent and returned and perhaps that is why I pay attention to others that do the same.

Edited by Travelcat2

Why wouldn't someone call BA if their flight was booked through Regent? Since you ask, our calls are generally about seats and food.

When you wrote "Perhaps a representative from Regent would like to explain to their UK customers what exactly is going on before all their loyal customers up-sticks and go over to Silversea or Seabourn...., it kind of sounded like a threat to Regent ("all their loyal customers....." could leave if they don't give details of what is going on). If this is not what you meant, I misunderstood your intent and apologize.

What I likely should have said is that the majority of CC posters that leave Regent eventually return (did not say "always return"). This is simply based on my years of being active on CC. I recall when some regular posters "left Regent" when they began some of their new programs but vividly remember passengers leaving when the included excursions went into effect. People also leave for other reasons (as we did for a short time). While I certainly cannot name the posters that have returned (many of them in the 2016, 2017), I remember them from before and followed some of their travels on other luxury cruise line boards. There are still some that say that they would return if Regent did away with included excursions (or permitted an opt out for a credit).

Think you need to remember that this CC board only has a small segment of cruisers that sail on Regent. We have been cruising since 2003 and only heard of CC in 2014. I would guess that posts written by anyone of us quoting numbers/figures are only a snap shot of the actual facts.

J.

Think you need to remember that this CC board only has a small segment of cruisers that sail on Regent. We have been cruising since 2003 and only heard of CC in 2014. I would guess that posts written by anyone of us quoting numbers/figures are only a snap shot of the actual facts.

J.

Absolutely! That is why I should have been more specific and indicated "CC members" instead of making it sound like I was talking about all Regent customers (I don't think that anyone that does not work for Regent knows how many people leave Regent for a significant amount of time and return). And, as stated, had I not been on CC for so many years, I would not have noticed people leaving and ultimately returning to Regent.

Sorry, but I had understood that eliana's problem was that she could not get Regent to book a BA non-stop flight; it was not a question of discussing the details of a booked flight with the airline.

I was simply asking for an explanation and stating the facts of market forces.

To what end would I wish to threaten Regent?

I am very sad that you have that opinion of me and my motives, but I fully accept your gracious apology.

Did Regent book the flights or did you book them yourselves?

Since piscean booked their fights in May, it is probable that Regent's allocation of non-stop seats on that particular flight is full.

flossie, many times our English/American differences create misunderstandings. To add to that, we are reading the written word which in and of itself makes it more difficult. Having been married to a Brit for almost 38 years I find that there are still a few things that one of us say that is taken the wrong way by the other. In his case, he feels that many things that are said are a "threat" - be it to a person or company. Perhaps his way of thinking is catching? (Okay - just kidding - don't want another misunderstanding).

Having been married to a Brit for almost 38 years I find that there are still a few things that one of us say that is taken the wrong way by the other. In his case, he feels that many things that are said are a "threat".

There is a very simple answer to this ................... just stop threatening your DH, Dennis ;p ;p

In case there is a failure in translation I should stress that this advice is offered purely in jest :*

Having been married to a Brit for almost 38 years I find that there are still a few things that one of us say that is taken the wrong way by the other. In his case, he feels that many things that are said are a "threat"

having been married to a Brit for 48 years I know exactly what you mean. Living in Britland means constantly walking on eggshells as well :D

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and suggestions. We finally made the decision to book the Rio-Barcelona cruise. My husband, still insists, that he will be fine with the number of cruising days. We have our air (paid deviation) and have only one transfer in Miami. Seems that with one of the largest cities in the country, there are no direct flights to Rio. We have Business class, so I guess we will be fine--just hope that we can get to the airport in February, as you never know with weather. Looking forward to meeting all of you who are taking this cruise. Our TA is taking care of getting Visas for us.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and suggestions. We finally made the decision to book the Rio-Barcelona cruise. My husband, still insists, that he will be fine with the number of cruising days. We have our air (paid deviation) and have only one transfer in Miami. Seems that with one of the largest cities in the country, there are no direct flights to Rio. We have Business class, so I guess we will be fine--just hope that we can get to the airport in February, as you never know with weather. Looking forward to meeting all of you who are taking this cruise. Our TA is taking care of getting Visas for us.

Glad you sorted your flight. See you onboard.

We were on Voyager this year Bangkok to Abu Dhabi and wondered if we would enjoy so many sea days.....it was wonderful.