Hi,

Discon

We are doing the barrier reef cruise on explorer 30 aug. We usually book tours privately but it seems that in this instance ships tours are the only option. We are visiting cairns (docked) airlie (tender), and port douglas (tender). Are there tour operators available for booking on the dock? We are considering kuranda train and skyrail, gbr snorkelling and naybe a cenic flight. Any help that can be provided would be great

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Unlike Caribbean or Alaskan ports, you aren't going to find tour companies at the docks in Australia. So, you need to book any excursions, whether ships excursion or private excursion, in advance.

You should be able to arrange a trip to Kuranda on your own from Cairns. Depending on the time of the arrival of your ship, you might have to do a Skyrail/Skyrail combo or do the Skyrail first and return on the train. (Having done this trip twice, I'd skip the train and go Skyrail/Skyrail. The train trip is not that interesting, especially if your seating is on the aisle and not the window.)

Because of the departure and arrival times of the GBR boat tours (leave at 8:00 am and return at 4:00 pm), it's generally necessary to do a ship's excursion. Those times just don't work with the arrival and departure times of the ships and the fact that you have to tender at Port Douglas and Airlie Beach.

I have never done a scenic flight in Queensland, so I can't advise on that.

Unlike Caribbean or Alaskan ports, you aren't going to find tour companies at the docks in Australia. So, you need to book any excursions, whether ships excursion or private excursion, in advance.

Not strictly true as there were several companies selling tours at Port Douglas where you got off the tender.

We tendered at Cairns (Yorkeys Knob) were there was diddly squat in the way of anything really and we did a scenic helicopter flight at Airlie which was pre booked.