Fiords in NZ

On our NZ cruise in March, we spend a day cruising through Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, and Dusky Sound. Based on what I've read, these areas are host to lots of aquatic animals. Any chance we can see any of the animals from our balcony?

Seals are often seen in Milford Sound. Both cruises I've done entered Milford in the late afternoon and the seals were basking on a rock, obviously a favourite spot as it's called Seal Rock, on the port side going into the sound. There is also a resident pod of dolphins in Milford Sound and you may be lucky to see those.

As tazza_0712 recommends, it is better to be up on deck whilst going through the sounds - that way you can quickly move from one side of the ship to the other.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this cruise two years ago...and I just rebooked for Nov 11th. On our first cruise, this day was spectacular and I don't remember seeing any wildlife expect a few birds. The landscape is breathtaking! I took 100's of pics; one currently hangs in our guest room. I can't wait to see it again.

Oh, we were on the 8th floor balcony and never left the room. We ordered food and wine off the TV/room serve and just enjoyed an amazing day just in our room. It was one of my favorite days ever....

Whilst sitting on ones balcony is fine one is going to miss half of the sights available. Milford Sound is the Commercial sound of the three and if it has been raining a day or two prior to arrival the waterfalls will be in full flood. Dusky and Doubtful Sounds are pretty much pristine and the number of cruise ships transiting these two Sounds is giving NZ Conservation Dept nightmares in case of an accident especially a fuel spillage as there is no way of getting in there to limit damage. Any accident will be catastrophic to wildlife, flower and fauna. The best place to witness Dusky and Doubtful in my view is the skylounge and Milford from the stern or upper deck so one can see both sides at once. It would be great if one could get onto the helipad for MIlford entry. Dusky and Doubtful can get very cold even in summer which is why I suggested Sky Lounge.