The end of the NeoClassica

alicat58

So, lets say a US citizen books with Serbia as his country to get a CHEAPER price for the EXACT SAME cabin, same Costa cruise, same departure date.

His name & address on his passport are Mr.Tom, House 12, 7th Ave, NYC, New York, USA, Pin code 12345

When he enters this same name & address (as on his passport) on the Serbia site of Costa and pays in full using his US credit card, his cruise booking and Cruise ticket will show as--

Mr.Tom, House 12, 7th Ave, NYC, New York, USA, Pin code 12345, SERBIA

Is this acceptable or will Costa DENY him boarding, stating that he is not from Serbia and hence cannot book with Serbia as his country, even though he has paid in full?

OR

Will they DEMAND MORE MONEY and ask him to pay the price difference between Serbia and USA?

I'll repeat myself, if your booking is accepted by Costa (address is accepted)and you pay your deposite then Costa will just be waiting to receive the outstanding amount.

There are NO passports that I know of that have and an address in them (including US passports), so checking address details at the port does not enter into the equation.

If you are uneasy booking your cruise via Costa Serbia, then try and fins a Serbian TA. There are a couple of Serbian members on this forum maybe they have a tip.

I'll repeat myself, if your booking is accepted by Costa (address is accepted)and you pay your deposite then Costa will just be waiting to receive the outstanding amount.

There are NO passports that I know of that have and an address in them (including US passports), so checking address details at the port does not enter into the equation.

If you are uneasy booking your cruise via Costa Serbia, then try and fins a Serbian TA. There are a couple of Serbian members on this forum maybe they have a tip.

Well, my passport has my full address with country and Pin code.

Passports of some countries have the full address.

So if such a person books a Costa cruise from another (cheap) country website to save money, it becomes obvious that he is NOT from that country.

In such a case, will Costa DENY him boarding

Or

Ask him to pay the fare difference?

... it becomes obvious that he is NOT from that country.

No, because the addresses are not part of the data checked and the place of booking is not visible in your boarding form. I attach my last boarding form, just blacked out my personal data as I don't want them to be found on the internet.

boardingform.jpg

So for the same Inside cabin, same 7n Costa cruise, same departure date, prices are

USA $599

Germany 479 euros

Netherlands 519 euros

Other EU countries 409 euros (BEST)

Asian countries $489

UK £379

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

So for the same Inside cabin, same 7n Costa cruise, same departure date, prices are

USA $599

Germany 479 euros

Netherlands 519 euros

Other EU countries 409 euros (BEST)

Asian countries $489

UK £379

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but you are beginning to sound like a record where the needle has stusck. You have several threads where you keep asking the same questions, you get answers then ask the same questions again. Why?

I bet no one on this forum except yourself has a passport with an address.

You ask why passengers book with their local "expensive" Costa Websites, because there we can book via our Costa Club and get all the club priviledges including getting upto 20% discount on the price.

I think it would be in your best interest to forget about about a cheap Serbian Costa cruise (the actual price difference is only 15%) and all the stress and aggravation that you seem to think you will encounter. Go for your local Costa option.

Sorry, but you are beginning to sound like a record where the needle has stusck. You have several threads where you keep asking the same questions, you get answers then ask the same questions again. Why?

I bet no one on this forum except yourself has a passport with an address.

You ask why passengers book with their local "expensive" Costa Websites, because there we can book via our Costa Club and get all the club priviledges including getting upto 20% discount on the price.

I think it would be in your best interest to forget about about a cheap Serbian Costa cruise (the actual price difference is only 15%) and all the stress and aggravation that you seem to think you will encounter. Go for your local Costa option.

Thanks so much and sorry to bother you with repeated questions.

Yes, my passport has my full address, so I guess I cannot book on another country (cheap) Costa website; to avoid any problems/risk of denial at the time of boarding.

I have never traveled on Costa before.

On mycosta.com how does one link all his bookings and get a 20% discount for future Costa bookings?

Thanks again!

Okay in my passport there is the name of the town where I lived when issued and the country (this only as I live abroad). I may apply for a change it when moving elsewhere, but if I don‘t do it will remain until I need a new passport. But no street, no house number, no postal code.

The Costa Club is working regardless where I book. Just the discounted cruises I only see from the local site, but perhaps even this can be managed, I didn‘t try yet. I look much more for an itinerary than for the discount, that is visible anyway as soon as I enter my membership.

The site “for Serbia“ is that one that covers all Europe (whether EU or not - Serbia is not) and beyond, where is no national site as for AT, CH, DE, FR, NL, UK and IT of course and others. The different websites are covering many languages of the different states and fit the offer into national law. But there is no statement at all “you mustn’t use that site as you don’t live in …”. Others do! The rest of Europe covers all CEE states, the Balkans, Scandinavia, States of the former Soviet Union and others). If you book you may have any nationality of the world (just select) and only for your credit card payment you need an address - as long as your credit card provider checks it this must be the registered one, but not all do this check. This covers not the entire world, but all Europe and many others, the others including South Africa and Sri Lanka - and these are not even close to Europe. Just try it out, as long as you don’t do any payment you won’t make a booking,

Main difference of that (not in all cases) “cheap site”: no flights. As covering a huge region with probably little number of guests you have to arrange your flights yourself and can’t rely on Costa. From the national sites they offer you at least some cruises with transportation - if you want.

I just checked the German website, it seem to be the same countries, including South Africa and Sri Lanka. Could it be some limitation by the payment provider? By the way I booked some Costa cruises in Germany, as there were some interesting offers, which I didn‘t get on my regional site (rest of Europe, where Serbia is part of) or at a higher price.

Will the itinerary, ports and cost remain the same for all the Neoclassica Cruises transferred to neoRiviera after March 2018?

The itinerary is the same - but on the neoRiviera departing on 9 November. We were offered 100 euros pp in onboard credit as "compensation". Can't do it, though, because we are booked on the Deliziosa to Fort Lauderdale on 2 December. Now engaged in a delicate negotiation on what constitutes a "suitable alternative"...

The itinerary is the same - but on the neoRiviera departing on 9 November. We were offered 100 euros pp in onboard credit as "compensation". Can't do it, though, because we are booked on the Deliziosa to Fort Lauderdale on 2 December. Now engaged in a delicate negotiation on what constitutes a "suitable alternative"...

What was your total cost pp for the Venezia to Bombay Cruise from 9 Nov to 8 Dec 2018?

Your situation is a very different and very difficult, as your cruise has been cut in half and stranded on a desert island. What could the options be?

1. neoClassica sails to Mumbai, even though it has been sold.

2. Costa pays for your stay in Maldives then flies you back to Mumbai for flight home.

3. You can cancel your hotel and flights (maybe compensation from Costa) and choose another cruise.

If I was in your position, I would cancel the cruise (waiting until Costa make an offer - if any), bite the bullet on any cancellation charges and do the 14 day cruise from Port Louis (going to Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Reunion).

The Maldives are no longer a paradise, the ship will be anchored of the capital Male which is a slab concrete 5 sq km big, on the other sides there are the airport island and the land fill islands where the rubbish is taken and burnt and polluting the sea.

Also there is political unrest in Maldives (BBC from 10th. August 2017):

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-40827633.

If it is beaches you want to see and use, I would always recommend the Seychelles or Mauritius.

As a Man of Kent or Kenish Man you will make the right decision.

Let us know how you get on, also if you want more information just ask.

They've offered us exactly the same cruise and package as before but leaving 2 weeks prior and €150 per person on board credit as compensation.

We don't know what to do now?? I keep thinking about what you said as regards Male/Maldives as well as the unrest that's developing there. But we're also concerned about the ship itself now. We haven't sailed with Costa before as we've not heard positive things or recommendations by anyone to cruise with them. But this route and package price was so good, we thought we'd take the chance and experience Costa personally. The NeoClassica doesn't get the best reviews as it is but now the crew know it's being sold off, how motivated and/or diligent are they going to be? Will the service and/or standards slip??

They've offered us exactly the same cruise and package as before but leaving 2 weeks prior and €150 per person on board credit as compensation.

We don't know what to do now?? I keep thinking about what you said as regards Male/Maldives as well as the unrest that's developing there. But we're also concerned about the ship itself now. We haven't sailed with Costa before as we've not heard positive things or recommendations by anyone to cruise with them. But this route and package price was so good, we thought we'd take the chance and experience Costa personally. The NeoClassica doesn't get the best reviews as it is but now the crew know it's being sold off, how motivated and/or diligent are they going to be? Will the service and/or standards slip??

I would take the offer.

I accepted their offer of 100 euros pp OBC & 1 extra night in Bari, Italy for the (better) neoRiviera Cruise from Venice to Bombay. Their price is unbeatable!

The compensation, I find a bit on the low side for all the upheaval you are going through.

Was Cruise Nation able to change your hotel and flights?

We have sailed many times on with Costa, most of the time it has been great. Only problem was in 2009 on the Classica (before the neo upgrade) when a solid wooden sliding "sh**house door" jumped out of it's railing and landed on my shoulder. While in Mucat, spent the day in an Omani hospital. Boy were Costa friendly after that .

With regards to Costa's negative reviews, as with most forums people only join to vent their feelsings, for me the so called complaints fall into three main categories:

1.They could not get a free cabin upgrade, or other freebies.

2.The were expecting Costa to be like there favourite cruise line e.g. Carnival, RCCI and did not like all the different nationalities, why all passengers did not speak English, food venues not open 24 hous aday.

3.Passenger with genuine greivencies.

With regards to the ship, depends how long Costa ha known that it would be sold, so the regular maintenance would have been reduced to the absolute minimum.

I would not be worried about the motivation of the crew, the level of service and standards would be upto Costa's high level. The crew has 6 months to plan their next move (most have 8 monts contracts), some will be going home (most very happy as they are from India and Philipines), others will transfer to other ships to finish their contracts.

How long do you have to make up your minds?

Can you still cancel and get your money back?

I look upon such compensation as trying to bribe me, when I have been in such a situation I totally disregard the compensation, I only take into consideration the total holiday cost (flight and cruise) against what to expect from the changed itinerary. The compensation offered is only a small amount compared to the total cost of the holiday.

If I was in you position, I would see what sort of deal I could get from Costa for Mauritius cruise.

Costa will be doing the Indian route 2018/19, the alawys have special offer.

Let us know how you get on.

We don't know what to do now?? I keep thinking about what you said as regards Male/Maldives as well as the unrest that's developing there. But we're also concerned about the ship itself now.

I haven’t been on the neoClassica yet, but know Costa. I can’t tell you about your personal taste and expectations, but perhaps I can add some facts and some of my experiences.

Indeed Malé might be the worst place for tourism among all Maldives. But you can go on snorkelling trips, visit resort islands, do water sports, watch dolphins and more between beach and sea. I will have there 3 ½ days during my sailing from Savona to Mumbai and won’t spend a lot of time in Malé, but will mostly step there from one boat onto another.

I am not really worrying about the political situation. First of all cruise lines try to avoid responsibilities and will change scheduled ports when the situation is getting too dangerous. UK foreign travel advice is: “Political protests and demonstrations often take place in Malé. Some have led to violence and arrests. You should take appropriate security precautions, comply with local security requirements and avoid protests and rallies. … Most visits to Maldives are trouble free. The most common problems faced by visiting British nationals are lost and stolen passports, and swimming and diving related accidents.” It is pretty much common sense not to get involved in protests and demonstrations abroad and even the foreign travel advice for the USA reads way worse!

G.M.T. absolute correctly wrote about the contracts of the staff, those in the guest area work normally on a contract for 6 or 8 months, go home on a holiday and often enough return on some Costa ship. So their situation isn’t that different, just because of the sale.

I sailed a couple of times on Costas and I had great holidays. Looking at complaints it is often a minor thing you should and could know before as being an Italian ship with a lot of Italian food, multilingual guests and some Mediterranean lifestyle. If you read the reasons why people dislike Costa you might come to the same conclusion I have: “There was no tea or coffee available after breakfast” not true, just not for free, found this again and again. “Some portions were also very small” while 6 courses and salad are offered (I am a good eater and never stayed hungry). “Announcements always made in 7 languages”. “Water is the essence of life, please, this should be free” try this argumentation in a supermarket. “In the main restaurant where you are seated like in a PRISON hall” I already enjoyed meals in exactly that MDR and can’t imagine this could be a prison hall, although at least I can’t compare from personal experience.

The last neoClassica cruise from Mumbai - Male, 3rd. March 2018 - 17th. March 2018 has been cancelled (as previously stated she sold as from 10th. March). neoClassica was due to leave Mumbai for Venice on 17th. March.

So what could happen to your cruise:

a. Costa charters another cruise ship just for this repo cruise. Problem finding a ship to accommodate just 1300 passengers, bigger ship would make the cruise into a loss making one.

b. The Victoria is in the vincinity, Goa 3rd. March, could be in Mumbai 4th. March. What would you do with the Victoria passengers for 13 days? Also would there be enough empty cabins to take neoClassica passengers? I think unlikely as Costa would have two ships with unhappy passengers.

c. Divert the neoRiviera (due to leave Port Louis, Mauritius 3rd. March) by not stopping at Victoria, Seychelles, to Mumbai, would be there either 9th - 10th. March. 10 day wait til neoClassica passengers would arrive. Also would there be enough empty cabins to take neoClassica passengers? I think unlikely as Costa would have two ships with unhappy passengers.

d. If I was booked on the neoClassica cruise, I personally would start to look for another cruise, as I do not think it will take place.

My booking has been changed to the neoRiviera departing Mauritius March 3rd ending in Savona March 27th. Means I don't have to worry about the Indian visa. Hopefully in 2019 will make it to India.

My booking has been changed to the neoRiviera departing Mauritius March 3rd ending in Savona March 27th. Means I don't have to worry about the Indian visa. Hopefully in 2019 will make it to India.

So glad things have worked out for you, I would always take Mauritius / Seychelles over India / Maldives.

If you would like information about a private guide in the Seychelles let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Hello Maryann, great to hear you’ve been offered an alternative you like. India is wonderful and I can’t await visiting new parts of it. By the way India is introducing electronic visa for cruise tourists in November with landing cards instead of the need of multiple entry visa http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=169752.

So glad things have worked out for you, I would always take Mauritius / Seychelles over India / Maldives.

If you would like information about a private guide in the Seychelles let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Thank you for your kind offer. However travelling solo so not sure about excursions yet.

I will be taking a ship tour to Petra ,that I do know.