Antarctica

What ship were you on? What itinerary?

We were on a Celebrity Infinity, sailing from Buenos Aires, to Falkland Island, down to Elephant Island and Paradise Bay, to Ushuaia then to Montevideo and Puerto Madryn before back to BA.

I chose this as i would have had difficulty with excursions on zodiacs on expedition cruises. Saw lots of icebergs, penguins, seals, whales. Just magic.

We were on a Celebrity Infinity, sailing from Buenos Aires, to Falkland Island, down to Elephant Island and Paradise Bay, to Ushuaia then to Montevideo and Puerto Madryn before back to BA.

I chose this as i would have had difficulty with excursions on zodiacs on expedition cruises. Saw lots of icebergs, penguins, seals, whales. Just magic.

That was how we saw it, 5 star luxury and all the sights.:D

That was how we saw it, 5 star luxury and all the sights.:D

I don't think a cruise ship drive-by compares with an expedition where people go ashore in zodiacs. Some of the expedition ships I am looking at (Sea Spirit, Fram and National Geographic Orion) look as 'luxurious' as a cruise ship on the inside, but are much much smaller.

I don't think a cruise ship drive-by compares with an expedition where people go ashore in zodiacs. Some of the expedition ships I am looking at (Sea Spirit, Fram and National Geographic Orion) look as 'luxurious' as a cruise ship on the inside, but are much much smaller.

My daughter had already been to Antarctica etc on a tiny boat, but I was concerned about getting off small ship in rough seas and on to zodiacs. She wanted two landings a day, plus kyaking, walking, and touring by zodiac. Which is why I chose Fram, which uses a different type of zodiac with "handles". Google it you'll see what I mean. Staff help you on board with a special wrist hold, so you feel very confident and safe. BTW Fram observation lounge, with glass all around and up towards the ceiling, is absolutely beautiful. I could have sat there all day, with big reference books on Antarctica, expeditions, etc., from the library, whilst occasionally topping up my sunscreen! Ah priceless memories of a trip of a lifetime!

There are a number of new small expedition cruise ships about to cruise Antarctica - Ponant, Scenic.

My daughter had already been to Antarctica etc on a tiny boat, but I was concerned about getting off small ship in rough seas and on to zodiacs. She wanted two landings a day, plus kyaking, walking, and touring by zodiac. Which is why I chose Fram, which uses a different type of zodiac with "handles". Google it you'll see what I mean. Staff help you on board with a special wrist hold, so you feel very confident and safe. BTW Fram observation lounge, with glass all around and up towards the ceiling, is absolutely beautiful. I could have sat there all day, with big reference books on Antarctica, expeditions, etc., from the library, whilst occasionally topping up my sunscreen! Ah priceless memories of a trip of a lifetime!

There are a number of new small expedition cruise ships about to cruise Antarctica - Ponant, Scenic.

Thanks for your advice. I looked at Ponant and Scenic - they are rather expensive. At the moment I am leaning towards Sea Spirit. I am looking at a few different itineraries. One just does Falkland Is and Sth Georgia, the next couple (more expensive) also include Antarctic Peninsula. I prefer this. The "Expedition" also does this itinerary, but is a much more basic ship.There are a lot of options available and I am trying to make sure I choose what suits me best. :) It is long way to go and I have to factor in flights and other expenses. These are pretty much the same regardless of the cruise selected.

We did ponant this year, 10 nights to Antarctica. We found them to be excellent, approx. 30% were aussies.

We found it to be excellent value, if you book early you get a 30% discount and it includes your flight from Buenos Aires. Cheaper than anything else we found, we had a balcony, and all inclusive alcohol

I think it is all dependent on what you want and what price you pay.

For e.g, our cruise was under $3000 per person for concierge cabin and we didn't want the zodiac or / walk on the ice experience. The expedition cruises tend to start at least 3 times that price.

We did ponant this year, 10 nights to Antarctica. We found them to be excellent, approx. 30% were aussies.

We found it to be excellent value, if you book early you get a 30% discount and it includes your flight from Buenos Aires. Cheaper than anything else we found, we had a balcony, and all inclusive alcohol

I have heard good reports on Ponant on longer cruise also, as well as Seabourn from Santiago.

For e.g, our cruise was under $3000 per person for concierge cabin and we didn't want the zodiac or / walk on the ice experience. The expedition cruises tend to start at least 3 times that price.

Isn't it amazing that I can't remember what we paid? I just knew to cruise to F, SG and A was expensive and ours was one of the least expensive cruises which did all that my daughter wanted to do. In addition, it included flights.

Antarctic trips that go to the three main places (Falklands, South George and the Antarctic Peninsula) cost eight to ten times the $3000 price you have quoted. :(

We are booked with Quark for Feb'18 and it is definitely cheaper than Ponant. I am looking forward to the whole expedition feel as opposed to my normal cruising life.

At the end of the day, we all do what we feel that is right for us and within our budget. With a 38 night cruise 6 months later we have to be good...:)

Antarctic trips that go to the three main places (Falklands, South George and the Antarctic Peninsula) cost eight to ten times the $3000 price you have quoted. :(

And they are worth every cent! I have never ever spent any one of my 116 days down there thinking "I wish I hadn't spent this much".

This - Aus Spring - is when all the early bird deals start coming through for the next season (the one after the coming season). You can get deals up to 30% off, free airfare etc. Sign up to the email lists for each of the expedition companies so you can watch out for the deals as they pop up. I have already had 4 companies offers in my inbox this past week.

Also look at going from the Aus side (if you like the ocean). Chimu leave from Hobart and Heritage leave from Bluff NZ. The trips are longer because there is 5 to 7 days of ocean just to get there - but this side of Antarctica is 100% more spectacular than the Argentine side (excluding SGI/FI). You save the Aus to Sth America airfares etc tho.

And they are worth every cent! I have never ever spent any one of my 116 days down there thinking "I wish I hadn't spent this much".

This - Aus Spring - is when all the early bird deals start coming through for the next season (the one after the coming season). You can get deals up to 30% off, free airfare etc. Sign up to the email lists for each of the expedition companies so you can watch out for the deals as they pop up. I have already had 4 companies offers in my inbox this past week.

Those companies know you are a good bet! I think of you and your earlier trips, when I see the new builds with helicopters. You were ahead of your time.

Reminds me when it was normal to cruise overseas in a cabin with four or six bunks, with total strangers! (I did both)

They are. Important considerations in Antarctica are the expertise and experience of the ship's officers, as well as the ice rating of the ships.

Those companies know you are a good bet! I think of you and your earlier trips, when I see the new builds with helicopters. You were ahead of your time.

Reminds me when it was normal to cruise overseas in a cabin with four or six bunks, with total strangers! (I did both)

Agree, we booked our January Antarctic cruise the week they were released. For 10 nights we paid $10100 on Ponant with their 30% off.

We have just booked an arctic cruise, Iceland to Quebec via Greenland, in August 2019, again booked the week they were released, all of the balcony cabins on deck 3 ( cheapest balcony cabin) were sold out in days we paid $9080pp, when released deck four was priced at $10080, within 2 weeks it has gone up $2000pp to $12020. Ponant have the same pricing structure for all their cruises, start at 30% off and reduce the discount as cabins get sold. The only problem is (well good for Ponant) they release their itineraries first, so to get the price you have to lock it in without knowing what their competitors are offering. As we were happy with Ponant we paid the non refundable 25% deposit, but it would have been nice to see what other itineraries and costs were.

I definitely want to go to the Antarctic Peninsula, the Falklands and also to South Georgia for the wildlife. There are a lot of expeditions that include all three, but some are too early in the season to be sure of landing on the Antarctic Peninsula.

After a lot of research (and thanks to all, particularly PerfectlyPerth) I have narrowed down my search. I really like the Sea Spirit (good size and looks great inside) but her 6th Nov trip is still early in the season. Later trips are booked out. I am now looking at Quark's Ocean Endeavour trip, 23rd November starting with a flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia to board the ship. I would appreciate any comments. :)

I need a lotto win to go again :(

The KK had choppers for its 20 year run but it was the only one. Oceanwide has 3 on Ortelius (I cant remember if it has any on Plancius). Poseidon has a new build underway that is meant to be including choppers. And another of the super posh companies (mind is a blank at the moment - Seabourne ?) is also doing a new build with choppers.

I love what the choppers add to a voyage but I also hope if there are going to be more around the peninsula that they ensure the really strict guidelines are adhered to. The places I have been on then have been super remote - not heavily populated like the peninsula and we always landed at least 2km from emperor colonies then hiked in so as not to fly over the colony itself and disturb them.

Some of the ships still have a few 4 bunks available. I have only ever selected twin share - 1 extra human stranger is more than enough for me LOL. On my last voyage I booked with just a couple of weeks notice and got a big twin suite with no one else in it ! Score !!

Any comments on Quark's Ocean Endeavour?

I like the look of the Sea Spirit, but I can get a good deal on the Ocean Endeavour and it a month later so there should not be any doubt about getting onto the Antarctic continent. I also like the fact that Ocean Endeavour was built for 460 people but has a max of 198 for Antarctica. She is three times the size of Sea Spirit which should make for a slightly better 'ride' in rough conditins.

I am travelling as a solo on this trip. I agree that I could not share with three others - too many people sharing a bathroom. I am looking at a cabin to myself, but if I have to I will share with one other person.

I am hoping to make the booking tomorrow. :)

I have started researching Antarctic cruises. This has been on my 'wish list' for years but until fairly recently I was very prone to motion sickness. I seem to have outgrown it :D:D so I feel I can consider the Antarctic. I have been reading about the MS Fram and Chimu's Sea Spirit. What is the name of Les' son's?

I feel if we spend the money to go, we should do a 19-21 day trip to include the Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia Is and Falkland Islands. On two cruises we have been unable to land on the Falklands. :( I would be happy to hear any recommendations or opinion or thoughts or wishes ......

We have cruised around the tip of South America twice and each time the Drake Passage was calm, but I know it is notorious for being rough.

Chimu Adventures - Sea Spirit is the vessel my son's company operates as a charter, they must own half of it by now. :halo:

I have not been aboard, but have the cap.

Edited by NSWP

Chimu Adventures - Sea Spirit is the vessel my son's company operates, think they half own it. :halo:

I have not been aboard, but have the cap.

I very seriously considered a couple of expeditions on the Sea Spirit, but I am now favouring a trip on the Ocean Endeavour. It is a similar itinerary but one month later (late Nov not late Oct) and the price is better. Although I have to say that the Sea Spirit looks to be a lovely ship and I have heard only good things about the crew and expedition staff.

Les - Maybe you should do a cruise on the Sea Spirit now that you have the cap. :D

I very seriously considered a couple of expeditions on the Sea Spirit, but I am now favouring a trip on the Ocean Endeavour. It is a similar itinerary but one month later (late Nov not late Oct) and the price is better. Although I have to say that the Sea Spirit looks to be a lovely ship and I have heard only good things about the crew and expedition staff.

Les - Maybe you should do a cruise on the Sea Spirit now that you have the cap. :D

Agree late November is better than late Oct. We went late November (had smooth seas and no problems with ice blocking passage). Everywhere looked fresh and new, like we were the first people to visit.

I need a lotto win to go again :(

The KK had choppers for its 20 year run but it was the only one. Oceanwide has 3 on Ortelius (I cant remember if it has any on Plancius). Poseidon has a new build underway that is meant to be including choppers. And another of the super posh companies (mind is a blank at the moment - Seabourne ?) is also doing a new build with choppers.

I love what the choppers add to a voyage but I also hope if there are going to be more around the peninsula that they ensure the really strict guidelines are adhered to. The places I have been on then have been super remote - not heavily populated like the peninsula and we always landed at least 2km from emperor colonies then hiked in so as not to fly over the colony itself and disturb them.

Some of the ships still have a few 4 bunks available. I have only ever selected twin share - 1 extra human stranger is more than enough for me LOL. On my last voyage I booked with just a couple of weeks notice and got a big twin suite with no one else in it ! Score !!

Scenic Eclipse is going to have helicopters, as well as below sea submarine.

I remember you getting a twin suite to yourself with a last minute booking on your last voyage and thought you deserved it! Especially with a couple of your prior experiences sharing!

Agree late November is better than late Oct. We went late November (had smooth seas and no problems with ice blocking passage). Everywhere looked fresh and new, like we were the first people to visit.

Great. I hope I have it the same. :) I was concerned that the 23rd Oct trip was too early in the season.