Foods Not to Eat at the Buffet

To the next point, about dating beer, if you've ever tasted "skunky" beer, you'd know why dating is important.

Skunky beer does not come for being old. It comes from either mistakes in brewing, or from improper storage (too much light with other than dark brown bottles).

Breyers is selling a form of ice cream called non-dairy dessert. The carton still says Ice Cream, but if you look at the small print, it says Non-dairy frozen dessert.

I would bet that there is SOME dairy in it. Otherwise fair product labeling laws would be after them.

McD's has used non-dairy product for the shakes at times. Employees are trained to NEVER say milk shake in these types. They are SHAKES.

What I wonder is, why is there an expiration date on sour cream?;p

Stupid legislators.

But dairy has a "SELL BY" date, NOT an expiration date. Dairy products should be OK for 10 days past the sell by, but a retailer may not offer them for sale past that date.

My FIL owned a grocery store. One year he had a LOT of left over sour cream from a holiday (over ordered). He gave it us. We used to for at least 2 years after the expiration.

Some would be moldy, we would toss them, but no mold, no problem.

I like vegemite/Marmite, I was introduced to it in Australia. I eat it on toast, you butter the toast first, then a thin layer of the product.

I have found it impossible to get a "thin layer" of Vegemite /Marmite to be thin. enough to be palatable.

I suppose with a ten million to one

butter/Marmite ratio you might sufficiently hide its loathsome texture and taste - but it is easier to avoid it altogether.

Skunky beer does not come for being old. It comes from either mistakes in brewing, or from improper storage (too much light with other than dark brown bottles).

Wasn't it Coors who came up with the "freshness dating' of their beer? It was only brewed in Golden, CO and was basically a regional beer. Drinking the supply within a reasonable amount of time was not an issue ;) When it went national, it had to get shipped farther and stored longer, making "skunkiness" an issue. Of course, it could have been a cute marketing gimmick to entice those swillers of CO Koolade to drink more faster...

I could be wrong.

Merchant ships use this milk all the time, since we typically only take food stores every 60 days or so. As you say, when chilled, most of the UHT milk doesn't taste much different than regular, especially the 2% or skim.

It's horrible when it's steamed to make milky coffees though, especially full fat milk. I give up drinking lattes when I'm cruising and just stick to espresso.

Wasn't it Coors who came up with the "freshness dating' of their beer? It was only brewed in Golden, CO and was basically a regional beer. Drinking the supply within a reasonable amount of time was not an issue ;) When it went national, it had to get shipped farther and stored longer, making "skunkiness" an issue. Of course, it could have been a cute marketing gimmick to entice those swillers of CO Koolade to drink more faster...

I could be wrong.

Coors was regional, as they did not pasteurize the beer. It was a HUGE deal to get Coors East of the Mississippi. The basic concept of the original Smokey and the Bandit is not far off.

I was in college, and some buddies drove to CO for Spring Break, and brought back 44 cases in a Volvo station wagon. Sale of the beer more than funded the trip. :)

You would have been amazed at what was offered for a SIP of Coors, much less a whole can, but it WAS the 70s. :D

Are we discussing BEER or Coors....they're not the same thing. As an Oregonian I hope our Christmas Caribbean cruise will have something with some body to it. If I wanted to drink something from a Rocky Mountain stream I'd pick the water over the beer.

Are we discussing BEER or Coors....they're not the same thing. As an Oregonian I hope our Christmas Caribbean cruise will have something with some body to it. If I wanted to drink something from a Rocky Mountain stream I'd pick the water over the beer.

Do you know what "beer" is? You might not like lager, but it is beer.

Specifically, American Lager, which is a recognized style.

You need to separate whether you dislike a specific style or a specific beer of that style.

But I also get the joke about Coors and water. :)

Just to chime in here - the term lager covers several different styles/tastes. Try US Budweiser next to the Czech Budweiser - chalk and cheese! And then there are the dark lagers...

For the beer geeks amongst us.

https://www.thespruce.com/definition-of-lager-353244

BTW - if you ever get to try German Rauchbier (smoked beer) it is lovely!

Just to chime in here - the term lager covers several different styles/tastes. Try US Budweiser next to the Czech Budweiser - chalk and cheese! And then there are the dark lagers...

For the beer geeks amongst us.

https://www.thespruce.com/definition-of-lager-353244

BTW - if you ever get to try German Rauchbier (smoked beer) it is lovely!

Beer geeks are OK, beer snobs are tiresome.

Didn't realize I could get so many noses bent out of shape with a single beer comment. Amazing! For the record, I consider Coors to be a good thirst quencher on a hot day while I'm working in the yard. If I want to really savor my beer or match it to my meal, I prefer and of the hundreds of Oregon craft brews on tap here. I don't know if that makes me a geek or a snob or just a happy guy.

Let's really get the pot boiling. Match which beer goes with which bacon. My husband wants to know if he has to drink Canadian beer with Canadian bacon

Edited by SewMuch
Husband adding his 2 cents

Let's really get the pot boiling. Match which beer goes with which bacon. My husband wants to know if he has to drink Canadian beer with Canadian bacon

Don't know which beer goes with bacon, but, I DO know a nice sparkling wine goes with French Fries...;)