MDR vs buffet dining

planner123456

We have dinner here and there at the buffet on nights where we just feel like dressing very casually after a long day in port or at the pool/beach, and don't feel like sitting through a lengthy served dinner. We like eating around 6:30 PM and at Anytime Dining that is a time that usually results in a wait, not so at the buffet!

In addition to the excellent and varied food and salad bar choices, the atmosphere, decor and set up of the Royal class ship buffets is very nice. And service is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Same here. We cruised on the CB last trip after numerous Royal cruises & were really disappointed.

Once you've been to a Royal class ship buffet, there's no going back. :D

That would be correct if Princess had provided real balconies on the Royal Class.

While the buffet on the Royal and Regal are much better than the usual horizon court,I have often gone up there around 6:00 to see if we will be going to the dining room or the buffet, only to find that items that were there earlier are no longer available.Also,the food never seems hot enough on the buffet.

That would be correct if Princess had provided real balconies on the Royal Class.

I was only referring to the food, not the balconies. Yes most are much smaller & if you were expecting a typical size balcony like the other ships I could see people's disappointment. You always have to look for the larger balconies to make for an even comparison.

While the buffet on the Royal and Regal are much better than the usual horizon court,I have often gone up there around 6:00 to see if we will be going to the dining room or the buffet, only to find that items that were there earlier are no longer available.Also,the food never seems hot enough on the buffet.

Yep. They do run out of the popular items every so often & that's why if we decide on the buffet that night we always make it a point to get there early.

I was only referring to the food, not the balconies. Yes most are much smaller & if you were expecting a typical size balcony like the other ships I could see people's disappointment. You always have to look for the larger balconies to make for an even comparison.

The only balconies of a usable size on Regal/Royal are the aft owners suites. It's a trade off but we would rather have a usable balcony, ie, vista suite on Grand Class, than have the Royal Class buffet. And, BTW, we prefer the buffet to the MDR.

The only balconies of a usable size on Regal/Royal are the aft owners suites. It's a trade off but we would rather have a usable balcony, ie, vista suite on Grand Class, than have the Royal Class buffet. And, BTW, we prefer the buffet to the MDR.

Mid ship balconies aren't to bad.

Of course I wouldn't want to have a dinner served out there but they're still comparable to the older ships.

I've enjoyed both the buffet and the MDR for different reasons. Like others, I'll use the buffet when it's been a long port day but I also check the MDR menu (posted outside) to check my options. Sometimes there is just nothing on the menu that appeals so off I go to the buffet

I agree that the buffet usually has more options but I like the service (usually) and pace of the MDR. Often the buffet can feel rushed with other guests hovering to get a table. It really does come down to personal choice, needs and wants.

The dinner buffet on the Royal is very good but the thing I like the most is the view. We eat early and are usually able to get a window table in the buffet. We will often dress up for formal night and go to the buffet.

Mid ship balconies aren't to bad.

Of course I wouldn't want to have a dinner served out there but they're still comparable to the older ships.

We enjoy having our dinner on the balcony and do so at least twice on each cruise. We spend three or four hours a day on the balcony in addition. We liked our Regal cruise but we would never sail on her again unless it was in an aft owners suite.

Our last two cruises were on a Vista class on Holland. Here's some pictures of a balcony that isn't 'too bad'.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/5190-westerdam/

We stopped going to MDR years ago as preferred not to spend the time and for me not going so far as to put on a pair of khaki pants. Nonetheless Always check out the MDR menu earlier in the day just to know what they'll have,

The Regal and Royal buffets are super. I think the Regal is better. Great salads and cheese selection. Something made to order usually every night. I recall the angel hair with oil and garlic, parmesan and red pepper as excellent.

There's a big selection of desserts and I never lose weight on a cruise.

I always swing around to all the service areas so I don;t miss anything and make my selection and DW and I meet up at a table we've left our kindles.

Cruising on the Royal princess next month and since we'll be doing many ports I'm trying to convince my husband to skip the MDR and eat at the buffet most evenings. The side benefit of much less to pack attracts me. However, he wants me to confirm that the same entrees are available both places... Are they?

We were on the Caribbean princess in April and I can say there is a huge difference between the buffet and the dining room. My husband LOVES buffets and even he couldn't eat the food. The dining is one of the great parts of a cruise vacation. Don't miss it!

We enjoy having our dinner on the balcony and do so at least twice on each cruise. We spend three or four hours a day on the balcony in addition. We liked our Regal cruise but we would never sail on her again unless it was in an aft owners suite.

Our last two cruises were on a Vista class on Holland. Here's some pictures of a balcony that isn't 'too bad'.

A totally different class.

What do you mean by class? The price is comparable to a Penthouse suite on Regal/Royal but the balcony is probably 10 times larger.

For me it's a class we don't even consider.

Love the buffet on the Royal.

We sailed her last spring and was disappointed in the MDR offerings. Many days we just skipped it.

Always found something good on the buffet. Also loved sitting outside on the Horizon Terrace to eat.

Love the buffet on the Royal.

We sailed her last spring and was disappointed in the MDR offerings. Many days we just skipped it.

Always found something good on the buffet. Also loved sitting outside on the Horizon Terrace to eat.

Just went to the MDR on formal nights and always had our dinner at the buffet.

Just went to the MDR on formal nights and always had our dinner at the buffet.

Same here. Last cruise on the Royal, except for a few times here & there we ate in the Horizons. We got to know all the servers by name & they had our drinks ready as soon as they saw us. ;)

For me it's a class we don't even consider.

Fair enough but even the regular balcony cabins on the same ship are large enough for two chairs with footstools and a small table. There is enough room for the chairs and stools to face the sea and not each other, at least five feet deep.

I know Princess made a conscious decision to minimize the size of the balconies on Regal/Royal. That is consistent with many who've said that they hardly even use their balconies. Fair enough but for those of us who do use their balconies, the small balconies on Regal can be a deal killer.

Fair enough but even the regular balcony cabins on the same ship are large enough for two chairs with footstools and a small table. There is enough room for the chairs and stools to face the sea and not each other, at least five feet deep.

I know Princess made a conscious decision to minimize the size of the balconies on Regal/Royal. That is consistent with many who've said that they hardly even use their balconies. Fair enough but for those of us who do use their balconies, the small balconies on Regal can be a deal killer.

I'm really surprised that small balcony size hasn't hurt their sales especially since they don't even offer an outside cabin.