Allure of the seas, crippled

This will be interesting to follow the dry dock situation as we are on the 27th of January sailing which will be the one after dry dock. Hope this goes as we turn Pinnacle on it. If it doesn't we'll find another. If it does go we'll bring extra rubber bands with us just in case...

This will be interesting to follow the dry dock situation as we are on the 27th of January sailing which will be the one after dry dock. Hope this goes as we turn Pinnacle on it. If it doesn't we'll find another. If it does go we'll bring extra rubber bands with us just in case...

Dagunny. I read that in 2013 Allure only missed 1 week hope you are ok. I feel very bad for the Jan 20 people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

I am very new to this forum and I am very worried about our cruise.

We will be on Allure of the Seas on December 10th. Would our cruise be okay?

I am concerned because I want to book our flight in the next couple of days.

Thank you!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since your cruise is an Eastern internary, there could be changes in your itinerary. It looks like whatever is causing them to sail Allure slower than normal won't be fixed until the dry dock in January. So far they have not cancelled any cruises, they have just changed itineraries.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since your cruise is an Eastern internary, there could be changes in your itinerary. It looks like whatever is causing them to sail Allure slower than normal won't be fixed until the dry dock in January. So far they have not cancelled any cruises, they have just changed itineraries.

Thank you!

Yes. We were told that we are going to San Juan instead of St.Thomas. That's okay because we've never been to neither places, although I prefer St.Thomas.

I read about Jan 21st cruise being cancelled (I feel sorry for those who were book on that ship. :().

To me, it seems like Allure will sail until then. Is there a possibility that earlier cruises will be also cancelled? or anything to do with safety? Stability? (I get seasick quite easily..)

:(We're on the Jan 14 -21 on Allure. I'm going to cancel this and switch to the Brilliance out of Tampa in Dec. I don;t want to spend a week with a worry about Allure Dead in the water, If I ever get thru to Royal my Jr, Suite will be available the week before,

Thank you!

Yes. We were told that we are going to San Juan instead of St.Thomas. That's okay because we've never been to neither places, although I prefer St.Thomas.

I read about Jan 21st cruise being cancelled (I feel sorry for those who were book on that ship. :().

To me, it seems like Allure will sail until then. Is there a possibility that earlier cruises will be also cancelled? or anything to do with safety? Stability? (I get seasick quite easily..)

It's always possible that a cruise or cruises can be cancelled. Impossible to predict.

However, if there was a safety issue, they would not be cruising now. Whatever problem they are having appears to have only lowered the max speed they are comfortable with. I cannot think of any reason the stability of the ship would be affected.

The ability of a ship to go faster or slower really has little effect, overall, on the amount of motion (pitching or rolling) that it will exhibit. In certain weather conditions, going faster will produce a more comfortable ride, while in other conditions going slower is better. Vessel motion is more a factor of its stability than its speed, and speed only affects the amount of force a ship is subjected to. Think of a speedboat on a lake. If it is puttering along at a couple of knots in a slight chop (less than a foot), most people won't get sea sick. Speed that same boat up to full speed of 15+ knots, and it bumps and skips as it hits the same chop, causing a much rougher ride, leading to more motion sickness.

Stabilizers will be significantly effective above 10 knots (most self-retract below 6 knots), well below the speed the Allure is capable of making in its current condition, so this is not a factor.

We're on the 1/7 cruise and luckily it doesn't affect us much. However I'm concerned about the slower speed and what that means for possible sea sickness. I'm in the center of deck 7, but very prone to sickness. Any information?

Florida Fan,

I got seasick on the Allure in January from the minute the ship left port. Pack some Bonine, seabands, and ginger chews (Gin Gin double strength). You should be fine.

Nole fan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Question for Clarea: would you feel confident that RCI knows it can resolve the issue in that one week in January and be ready for the 1/28/18 sailing?

Despite Bob's wisdom, there is absolutely no way he can give you a guaranteed answer to this. He doesn't work for RCI and no non-employee of RCI is going to know the full scope of the issue or expected time-scale of fix

Despite Bob's wisdom, there is absolutely no way he can give you a guaranteed answer to this. He doesn't work for RCI and no non-employee of RCI is going to know the full scope of the issue or expected time-scale of fix

Agree.

Question for Clarea: would you feel confident that RCI knows it can resolve the issue in that one week in January and be ready for the 1/28/18 sailing?

Swoopy is correct. Just like RCI could not guarantee that this problem would not happen in the first place, there is never a guarantee of anything in life. Anytime you bring a ship out of the water in a drydock, there are unexpected things that are found, that need to be repaired before the ship re-enters service. Having said that, and having done as many shipyards as I've done over the years, I would be confident that this particular problem can be easily completed in a week's drydocking. Since this appears to be a problem related to the azipod itself (in addition to a damaged prop), when they make these kinds of repairs, they replace the entire sub-assembly with a reconditioned spare unit, so the actual repair covers more than just the failed component.

If the problem is as stated, there is no mystery on doing the job. This type of job is a routine type job and done in every repair yard in the world.

I was a Chief Engineer and Port Engineer for more years than I want to remember for a very large fleet of ships and this is one job that I did not lose any sleep over because it was so routine.

Thank you, everyone. Never expected a guarantee, just something to tilt me toward optimism. With all the political turmoil nowadays and the mess left me by my father's recent death I really need this cruise to recharge and get back on an even keel. Sorry about the pun. [emoji4]

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. All I know is that they will only pay for the fee the airline charges to change your flight, but not for any difference in airfare.

Bob,

So we have to cancel our flights as we are unable to change them and use our points. $150 charge to cancel can keep the points. So I assuming that they will pay the cancellation fee since it is not a change fee?

Bob,

So we have to cancel our flights as we are unable to change them and use our points. $150 charge to cancel can keep the points. So I assuming that they will pay the cancellation fee since it is not a change fee?

I don't know the answer to that. I would ask the cruise line. There is usually a special phone number to use to ask the cruise line in the case of these re-deployments. If Ellen is online, she probably has it on her speed dial and can post it.

Swoopy is correct. Just like RCI could not guarantee that this problem would not happen in the first place, there is never a guarantee of anything in life. Anytime you bring a ship out of the water in a drydock, there are unexpected things that are found, that need to be repaired before the ship re-enters service. Having said that, and having done as many shipyards as I've done over the years, I would be confident that this particular problem can be easily completed in a week's drydocking. Since this appears to be a problem related to the azipod itself (in addition to a damaged prop), when they make these kinds of repairs, they replace the entire sub-assembly with a reconditioned spare unit, so the actual repair covers more than just the failed component.

Not really cruise related but..... "there is never a guarantee of anything in life" ??? Disagree..... Taxes and Death are guaranteed in life

Enjoy cruising......:D

It's always possible that a cruise or cruises can be cancelled. Impossible to predict.

However, if there was a safety issue, they would not be cruising now. Whatever problem they are having appears to have only lowered the max speed they are comfortable with. I cannot think of any reason the stability of the ship would be affected.

Thank you. Maybe I am over-worrying about it.

I get sea sick very easily and it is my 2nd cruise (the first one was with Oasis in 2011 and I took pills, seaband, etc[), so I got more anxious I think..

Not really cruise related but..... "there is never a guarantee of anything in life" ??? Disagree..... Taxes and Death are guaranteed in life

Enjoy cruising......:D

Apparently some very rich politicians have figured out a way to avoid taxes.