Tipping

ausabroadable

Tipping is not something expected where I am from so I just want to check what is the protocol on Costa.

If we are having a regular meal (not the high end restaurant), are we required to tip? Do we tip right at the end of the meal? Or only end of the cruise?

How about if we order a drink?

Will there be any hidden surprises at the end of the cruise on our bill? Just want to plan and prepare ahead of time.

Thanks!

Tipping or rather the service charge is fixed on Costa at 10 Euros a day PP. (70E p.p. per week)

The is no need to tip anyone else this is Not stoppable and will be added to your account daily.

This is shared among all service staff but not Salaried. although not common you can tip cabin, waiters in Dinning room our anyone else that you would like to reward further, but it is not expected or indeed required.

Other things to take in consideration are where you are from (where did you book the cruise. Also which ship, where and when you cruise and the cabin category, (some cruises the service charge is in US $).

The service charge is compulsary in many countries, but not for example USA or Germany where you can change the service charge once you are onboard.

OP it looks like from your ID you are from Oz, I think for Australian passengers, the servoce charge has to be included and shown on the final invoice.

Here is a link from Costa UK showing the various service charges:

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/Documents/service-charges/service_charges_new.pdf

If you buy a drinks package then the 15% service charge is included in the price, if you buy individual drinks the price will include 15% service charge, so in both cases there is no need to give extra tips unless some waiter is exceptional.

Edited by G.M.T.

Thank you both so much for your replies.

Yes, mum and dad are coming from Australia.

Its complicated however, in that, I am coming from Hong Kong and booked through a US site..

We will just prepare for the extra 10Euro PP, Per day and the tax that will be added to any drinks.

Thanks!

We chose to tip our room steward and one of the bartenders who took great care of us in the aft bar on Deck 9 (Mediterranea) in cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the standard service charge.

We usually do that on cruises for those who go above and beyond for us.

• 5 weeks later...
Tipping is not something expected where I am from so I just want to check what is the protocol on Costa.

If we are having a regular meal (not the high end restaurant), are we required to tip? Do we tip right at the end of the meal? Or only end of the cruise?

How about if we order a drink?

Will there be any hidden surprises at the end of the cruise on our bill? Just want to plan and prepare ahead of time.

Thanks!

Hello Ausabroadable. Just got back from the Costa neo riviera and made friends with a lovely OZ couple who live in Brisbane. They told us that they have to pay the 10€ pppd service charge but they didnt mind as the cruise cost so much less than a normal aussie cruise would have done. No further tipping is required or asked for but you can leave something extra to a particular member who made a difference to you,if you so wish. i'd budget the 10€ pppd and then if you dont need it then this is an added bonus. Happy cruising. :)

I believe that the service charge is mandatory for USA citizens as well. However, I have always followed protocol for tipping / svc charge as I know this is a vital portion of their pay.

Service charge is NOT mandatory for USA citizens. Tradition is to tip by envelope at the end of the cruise to crew members of their choice. Some do this, some just leave the service charge (tip) on their bill and some others just stiff the crew.

• 2 months later...
Only Costa enforces Daily service charges for ALL nationalities

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Not true, American passengers can have the service charge removed once onboard, for German and Dutch passengers (so long as the cruise is booked in their home country) the service charge is included in the cruise price.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504461

Amazing information. But, how much higher is the cost on the German and Netherlands sites?

Also, can any nationality book on these 2 sites using another address ? The postal pin code will not be accepted

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Not really interested in what other passengers / countries pay, comparing prices only makes people mad. I'm only interested in what I have to lay on the table.

Try making a dummy booking on either of the web sites.

Eventually the so called service charge will be included in the cruise price, there are many legal arguments being held over this point.

Like everything else we will accept this and within a couple of years we will be tipping again. Since Costa made it fixed I have over the past five year tipped about the same amount as I did before these charges came in, because I feel the service we get on board it worth it.