Embarkation time on MSC

tring

What is the normal time for embarkation to start on MSC cruise ships. On some lines you can turn up at the port soon after midday and be embarked fairly swiftly - does that happen on MSC and could we get lunch on board, even if we board later?

We are new to MSC and will be in a Fantastica Balcony on deck 9.

What is the normal time for embarkation to start on MSC cruise ships. On some lines you can turn up at the port soon after midday and be embarked fairly swiftly - does that happen on MSC and could we get lunch on board, even if we board later?

There is no normal time. Time depend on US Customs mood. Once we been on ship by 11am once by 2 pm :rolleyes: and we always in port by 10 am .

Thank you, but we will not be embarking in the US. It is a European cruise and the ship is in port from about 7 am to 18.30. Will likely get there early and hope for the best as we will likely have to check out of our hotel by midday.

2pm is still very reasonable. A cruise line we often use from the UK does not start embarkation until after two and the first meal they serve is afternoon tea.

Thank you, but we will not be embarking in the US. It is a European cruise and the ship is in port from about 7 am to 18.30. Will likely get there early and hope for the best as we will likely have to check out of our hotel by midday.

2pm is still very reasonable. A cruise line we often use from the UK does not start embarkation until after two and the first meal they serve is afternoon tea.

I'm interested in the answer! (We're boarding the Fantasia in Kiel.). Following!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They will probably indicate an embarkation time in the late afternoon on your cruise ticket, but in many (most?) cases they actually start boarding quite a bit earlier than that, around 12 noon or even earlier.

I think technically it says somewhere that the first meal included in your cruise fare is dinner on Day 1, and I have seen at least one report on this board that people have been turned away from the dining room when they boarded early and tried to have lunch there. That was not our experience, but if that should happen, there's always the buffet.

They will probably indicate an embarkation time in the late afternoon on your cruise ticket, but in many (most?) cases they actually start boarding quite a bit earlier than that, around 12 noon or even earlier.

I think technically it says somewhere that the first meal included in your cruise fare is dinner on Day 1, and I have seen at least one report on this board that people have been turned away from the dining room when they boarded early and tried to have lunch there. That was not our experience, but if that should happen, there's always the buffet.

Thank you this is a very useful reply. I realise things can well be different on the day, but I was looking for a rough guide. Regards lunch venue, the ships we have travelled on have only had the self service available for lunch and/or afternoon tea on embarkation day. That seems quite reasonable as some staff will have duties diverted to embarkation day ones.

I was largely wondering if there is a strict boarding order, regarding deck or perhaps loyalty club level, but sounds like that may not be an issue.

Thanks again,

Barbara

Hi Barbara .................... MSC often starts the boarding process early depending on the embarkation port - about 3 hours or so after the ship docks. You don't specify the port. You'll be given a number when you arrive - the earlier you get to the port, the lower the number you'll be given so will be one of the first to board. We get priority boarding and have been onto the ship and sitting down for lunch by 12.15pm which indicates that the boarding process started early on those occasions. There will be an embarkation time indicated on your tickets but they tend to disregard it if you arrive earlier than stated and will give you whatever number that's being handed out at the time.

Lunch is available in the buffet for embarking guests and is usually extended into the afternoon.

Hi Barbara .................... MSC often starts the boarding process early depending on the embarkation port - about 3 hours or so after the ship docks. You don't specify the port. You'll be given a number when you arrive - the earlier you get to the port, the lower the number you'll be given so will be one of the first to board. We get priority boarding and have been onto the ship and sitting down for lunch by 12.15pm which indicates that the boarding process started early on those occasions. There will be an embarkation time indicated on your tickets but they tend to disregard it if you arrive earlier than stated and will give you whatever number that's being handed out at the time.

Lunch is available in the buffet for embarking guests and is usually extended into the afternoon.

Thank you very much for this information. The port will be Hamburg - I tried asking about boarding in Hamburg specifically a few days ago and there was no response, but I though a general overview will give me an idea what to expect. The cruise is not until the beginning of Sept, so will be a while before we get our tickets, but sounds like we can just make our way to the port after we check out of our hotel, which is what we wanted to know.

I do really appreciate all these replies,

Barbara

• 1 month later...

I leave next week on Fantastica via Kiel. On my ticket, I am assigned to check in at 2:30. Taking the train from Hamburg to Kiel, then spending time in the town (lunch). I hope by not going early, the crowds would be settled and it will be a piece of cake. I will let you know when I get back.

I leave next week on Fantastica via Kiel. On my ticket, I am assigned to check in at 2:30. Taking the train from Hamburg to Kiel, then spending time in the town (lunch). I hope by not going early, the crowds would be settled and it will be a piece of cake. I will let you know when I get back.

Sounds delightful!!! Enjoy! We're just a month behind you!

Good luck! Are you taking the Kielius bus? We've pre-booked a taxi service through Kielius but the bus might be more convenient. I didn't know you were assigned a boarding time, just another week+ until I can see our E-tickets.

Have a great time, and please report back!

We have only been on one MSC cruise but we were able to board the ship as soon as we arrived at the port in Genoa around 12:00 after we checked out of our hotel even though our boarding time was not scheduled until 2:30. We received a note upon arrival to check-in that they actually started boarding at 10:00 a.m. One thing that helped was that not everyone boarded in Genoa. People seemed to be embarking and disembarking at at least two of our port stops which really cut down on the number of people trying to get on at the same time. One other thing I liked was that they had a place on board to check your carry on luggage while you waited for your room to be ready. We did not carry much on so we did not use it but I could see how that would be really handy for a lot of people. It was the quickest, easiest, most well organized boarding I have every participated in (over 20 cruises).

Received our e-tickets (earlier than anticipated). They gave us a 3:45 boarding time with a 6:00 departure. I'm hoping they will allow us to board early, as we have to check out of our hotel by 12.

Received our e-tickets (earlier than anticipated). They gave us a 3:45 boarding time with a 6:00 departure. I'm hoping they will allow us to board early, as we have to check out of our hotel by 12.

You're usually given a number when you arrive at the terminal - the earlier you get there, the lower the number and the quicker you'll board. They will give you the particular number being issued at the time of your arrival, regardless of what boarding time your tickets indicate. So, go at the time that suits you - it'll be fine. Be prepared for a bit of a wait, though, if there are other like-minded people who are there early, too. Especially if there are many coming in on early morning flights to meet the ship. Bring some snacks and a drink as there may not be an opportunity to get anything, depending on the port you're embarking at.

Bon voyage! :)

• 3 months later...

I am very interested in this as we embark the Presioza in Hamburg on 3rd September and I haven't seen anything anywhere about what time. We are staying in Hamburg the night before so have planned to be at the port by around 11:00am.

In the Us we usually arrive at embarkation site about 10:30. We feel we may as well wait there than in a hotel. We were stymied only once in Miami when they would not open the doors until 12 noon and we had to stand outside for 1 1/2 hrs. Don't know if it is still that way?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ship???

Be careful..... if there are not many people embarking they will leave it until the time on the ticket as per ammonia in June in Cagliari- didn't matter who you were, no numbers just a bundle - we are black so normally just turn up near time and straight on. If there are a number of people embarking they do stick to the numbers they allocate on arrival ridigly. ( black card, Aurea and yacht club are not given regular numbers)

Saying that they do often board slightly earlier than published in major change over ports and give you a letter to say they are doing you a big favour and allowing you on early - nice touch to make you feel like you have got something special. If you are seated in a terminal they will board black, Aurea and yacht club first)

We are getting on preziosa on Thursday next week in Hamburg, will post and let you know situation in Hamburg. Our allocated time is 14.05 for embarkation and ship departs at 19.00. We get off in Southampton on 1st.

Thanks tactic, that is useful info (as is all information here). We are on the same ship and same port, so will be useful to know your experiences.

Oh dear I have obviously posted this question twice on different threads. That memory loss must be worse than I thought - perhaps I need a holiday :)

We are in an IHG hotel in Hamburg and can have a late checkout with them (if available) due to our loyalty club level, so may be able to stay in our room until about 2pm. Will be useful if it looks like we will not get on the ship much before our embarkation time of 15.45.

We embark on a Sunday, so the ferries will not be going across to near the Steinwerder Terminal, so seems we may need a taxi direct from our hotel, (or a bus, then a train to Veddel and a taxi from Veddel). So looks like it may be better to get a taxi straight from our hotel (the Crowne Plaza). Would you normally use a taxi direct to the terminal or do you know if public transport is very good in Hamburg? Taxi from Veddel would be a lot nearer than from the hotel and we will have very little luggage.

Thanks tactic, that is useful info (as is all information here). We are on the same ship and same port, so will be useful to know your experiences.

Oh dear I have obviously posted this question twice on different threads. That memory loss must be worse than I thought - perhaps I need a holiday :)

We are in an IHG hotel in Hamburg and can have a late checkout with them (if available) due to our loyalty club level, so may be able to stay in our room until about 2pm. Will be useful if it looks like we will not get on the ship much before our embarkation time of 15.45.

We embark on a Sunday, so the ferries will not be going across to near the Steinwerder Terminal, so seems we may need a taxi direct from our hotel, (or a bus, then a train to Veddel and a taxi from Veddel). So looks like it may be better to get a taxi straight from our hotel (the Crowne Plaza). Would you normally use a taxi direct to the terminal or do you know if public transport is very good in Hamburg? Taxi from Veddel would be a lot nearer than from the hotel and we will have very little luggage.

We staying in alster crowne plaza too.... we will just get a taxi from cp as much easier . Will keep you posted with what it's like, timings etc x

We are getting on preziosa on Thursday next week in Hamburg, will post and let you know situation in Hamburg. Our allocated time is 14.05 for embarkation and ship departs at 19.00. We get off in Southampton on 1st.

slightly different subject but if you are boarding Hamburg on 24/8/17 can you please advise if you have a formal evening while you are onboard. We booked a 3 night cruise embarking in Hamburg on 3rd September and have assumed that there will not be one as the official information says not - however, I found out after booking that we are joining part way through a 7 night cruise and usually the formal nights are on sea days so I'm now wondering if I need to pack a glitzy frock for Monday 4th - any info you can give will be greatly appreciated. I realise that Preziosa is not really doing a particular circuit at the moment (probably why we got such an amazing deal on 3 nights) :cool:

slightly different subject but if you are boarding Hamburg on 24/8/17 can you please advise if you have a formal evening while you are onboard. We booked a 3 night cruise embarking in Hamburg on 3rd September and have assumed that there will not be one as the official information says not - however, I found out after booking that we are joining part way through a 7 night cruise and usually the formal nights are on sea days so I'm now wondering if I need to pack a glitzy frock for Monday 4th - any info you can give will be greatly appreciated. I realise that Preziosa is not really doing a particular circuit at the moment (probably why we got such an amazing deal on 3 nights) :cool:

Absolutely - plus anything else just ask x