Cruising to the Solomons with kids

Hi

I've been eyeing off some of the cheap Solomon Island cruises leaving from Cairns with P&O. We'll be travelling in NSW school holidays with 3 children aged 7, 11 and 13.

A couple of questions:

- do you think there'll be many kid on board even though it is a more unusual itinerary? One of the things my guys love most about cruising is making new friends in kids club so don't want to choose a cruise with no kids.

- if you've cruised to the Solomon's did you feel safe on shore? We'd prefer to avoid ship excursions as they are so expensive for 5 people but not sure if this is a good idea in a less developed country. If I was going without kids I would be more relaxed about safety but don't want to spend my holiday stressing that the kids aren't safe.

- were there nice places to just chill, swim and snorkel? We're more interested in beach days than cultural shows etc (and by "we" I mean the kids and husband. I love sightseeing and cultural things but the rest of my family has not interest:))

Thanks!

With any cruise in school holidays there will be plenty of kids. I don't think you need have particular concerns about safety. Cruiseships don't go to Port Moresby where there could be safety concerns. Otherwise, the people of PNG and the islands are lovely gentle people.

We have been to Alotau. I wouldn't suggest going on a 'Battle of Milne Bay' tour. The kids would be bored and it is expensive. You can read up about the Battle of Milne Bay that was fought in the Alotau area. There isn't much WWII stuff to see now.

Rabaul - It is worth taking a tour to get closer to the volcanic activity, but don't expect to see molten lava. You will see puffs of smoke from the volcano and on a tour you will to an area where the water in the harbour is boiling. There will be locals selling tours. Be prepared to sit in the back of a truck or an older van, so don't wear light-coloured clothes.

Kitava - just a lovely relaxing beach type stop. I haven't been to the other ports, but I see that there are no tours offered.

If you go to Rabaul, definately go Swimming with Dolphins with Rapopo Plantation Resort it was one of the best experiences we have ever had.

They picked us up from the ship and delivered us to the resort. My 16 year old daughter has CP cannot walk and uses a wheelchair, and the guys helped use get her into and out of the boat.

We spent about an hour swimming with a pod of probably 200 Spinner Dolphins, then the same snorkelling and then back to Resort for a great Lobster Mornay for lunch. We were than returned to the ship by boat giving us a really scenic view of the Volcano.

I have travelled to PNG twice and Tonga Fiji Vanuatu many times and never felt unsafe.

I will tell that on our last PNG cruise there were only 106 children on board but that was early February just when school went back.

Enjoy your cruise we might have a look at those for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

I've been eyeing off some of the cheap Solomon Island cruises leaving from Cairns with P&O. We'll be travelling in NSW school holidays with 3 children aged 7, 11 and 13.

A couple of questions:

- do you think there'll be many kid on board even though it is a more unusual itinerary? One of the things my guys love most about cruising is making new friends in kids club so don't want to choose a cruise with no kids.

- if you've cruised to the Solomon's did you feel safe on shore? We'd prefer to avoid ship excursions as they are so expensive for 5 people but not sure if this is a good idea in a less developed country. If I was going without kids I would be more relaxed about safety but don't want to spend my holiday stressing that the kids aren't safe.

- were there nice places to just chill, swim and snorkel? We're more interested in beach days than cultural shows etc (and by "we" I mean the kids and husband. I love sightseeing and cultural things but the rest of my family has not interest:))

Thanks!

Are you sailing to the Solomon Islands or PNG?

The cruise I was looking at is called "Explore the Solomons" but it looks like it is a mix of PNG and Solomons.

There's really not a lot for kids who like beach activities on those cruises. I'd be taking them around Fiji or New Caledonia.

That was my concern. We might stick with our usual South Pacific itinerary and leave PNG/Solomons for a kid-free trip or for when they are a bit older.

Thanks for all your replies.

• 2 months later...
If you go to Rabaul, definately go Swimming with Dolphins with Rapopo Plantation Resort it was one of the best experiences we have ever had.

They picked us up from the ship and delivered us to the resort. My 16 year old daughter has CP cannot walk and uses a wheelchair, and the guys helped use get her into and out of the boat.

We spent about an hour swimming with a pod of probably 200 Spinner Dolphins, then the same snorkelling and then back to Resort for a great Lobster Mornay for lunch. We were than returned to the ship by boat giving us a really scenic view of the Volcano.

I have travelled to PNG twice and Tonga Fiji Vanuatu many times and never felt unsafe.

I will tell that on our last PNG cruise there were only 106 children on board but that was early February just when school went back.

Enjoy your cruise we might have a look at those for next year.

Hi, can you tell me how to book the Rapopo Plantation resort dolphin swim as it is not one of the cruise ships tours and sounds great, my 10 and 11 year old girls would love it, thanks.

By email admin@rabaul-kopopodive.com

Before you go, it was a fantastic day and I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for that have e-mailed them and they are going to be sending me package and price information offered for cruise ship passengers, can't wait sounds like it is something not to be missed.