Toiletry Question

Mudhen

You'd think after getting to GOLD (ta da!), I'd know the answer to this one! We're in a concierge cabin on the Mariner in the near future. I'm assuming we'll be getting the L'Occitane products, which I basically love....except for the shampoo. Is there any other brand that might be offered besides the L'Occitane? It's only the shampoo I don't like. Yup, I could bring my own, but any less poundage in the luggage would be a good thing (we're in coach...short flight) Every pound count!

Greetings, Mudhen, from South Beach. Kwai girl is right. Guerlaine is supplied PH and above. Here on the Beach I usually use Living Proof products. It may just be my eccentric experience that ship's water is different. Very often, the stuff I brought from home took too long to rinse out. For that reason. I just stick with what's supplied. We had a condo in Paris, and I bought L'Occitane in our local store. I really like their products, Guerlaine, too. When we lived in Paris and New York, Shalimar was my favorite scent. However, here on the beach, it is much too heavy. Quelle tristesse.

I personally don't care for any of the products on Regent - especially their shampoo (but suspect that it is water that make the difference rather than the product itself. Regent carries top name products but it doesn't work for most of us.

Shampoo and conditioner preferences, IMO, is personal. Some people have dry hair, oily hair, thick hair, thin hair, etc. There is not one product that will be satisfactory for everyone. I suspect but do not know that Regent decided upon products for "average" hair (not sure what average hair is but this is what makes sense to me).

In the top suites (as you will see ronrick1943, you get three levels of products. It will be interesting to learn if you care for any of them. While I don't care for any of the hair products, I simply live with it. After all, we are on a ship where it is windy outside, lots of salt in the air and I doubt if my everyday products would work well in that environment.

This is one case where I feel that Regent is in a no-win situation. JMHO.

OMG, I almost had a meltdown on the ship. It is not the shampoo, it is the desalinated water. I called my beautician from the ship. You wash your hair with whatever, AND THEN YOU POUR AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF THE DRINKING WATER ON IT TO WASH THE DESALINATED WATER OUT. This does the trick. OMG, my hair was dry and tangled and it was falling out. I have done the ever after and it works. I have hair down to my waist so it takes more than one bottle of water.

WOO HOO! I never ment to ignite such a big deal! All I wanted to know is if I could another shampoo other than L'Occitane!

I had never thought about the difference in water making shampoos funky! However, even at home, I still don't like L'Occitane, but will deal until I can get a bottle of something or other either on the ship, or perhaps in port!

Thank you, lord, for makin' me a dude. :halo:

Thanks for the laugh!

We have not yet sailed Regent. (We will be aboard the Explorer September 22! Can't wait!) So I don't know if there are other shampoos available. Mudhen, you don't mention the specific issue with the L'Occitane shampoo. Like caroldoll, I have struggled with my hair getting dry and brittle anytime we cruised. I tried leaving the conditioner in my hair. It took me one or two days to figure out how much was just the right amount for my hair, but it worked like a charm. It even helped tame my bedhead, allowing me to grab breakfast, before showering, without looking like I just rolled out of bed.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Thanks for the laugh!

Glad I could provide a chuckle! You'll love Explorer, I think - we're leaving soon for our second Explorer cruise this year (can't really afford another one, but what the hey, right?)

Saw that you're in Louisville - we just moved from Prospect a few years ago, we were in the Harbortown Condominiums right on the river. Kinda miss it...except for the occasional floods. ;p

Glad I could provide a chuckle! You'll love Explorer, I think - we're leaving soon for our second Explorer cruise this year (can't really afford another one, but what the hey, right?)

Saw that you're in Louisville - we just moved from Prospect a few years ago, we were in the Harbortown Condominiums right on the river. Kinda miss it...except for the occasional floods. ;p

We've driven past Harbortown many times... we used to live in Prospect (Hillcrest sub.) before moving downtown. Sometimes I still do my grocery shopping out there. River Road is my favorite road to drive... except for the occasional floods, bikers, and drivers that seem to think the speed limit is 25mph the entire way. :D

Mudhen - enjoy that new bottle of shampoo, wherever you get it!

Save

Save

Yes, a most excellent idea. I had never considered the water as being a problem. However some shampoo most definately works better than others. My issue is that I like a squeeky clean rinse. I don't even get that at home with the L'O Verbana. I do truely love some of the yummy brands that have been "gifted" to me from the penthouse folks! Used "Hermes" shampoo yesterday (at home) OMG....just WONDERFUL!!!

Greetings, Everyone, on this sudsy thread. Thanks for all the shampoo info. So my problems with rinsing were the result of Ships' water. Good to know. It does make sense. The stuff in PHs on Regent and Oceania ships rinses quickly. We are not picky. Whatever we don't have to supply is fine. We are used to L'Occitaine, and have no problems with it. One problem ships have is that toiletries have to be unisex. Not an easy issue. It's amazing that the stuff on Explorer displeases so few. In any case, we will again be aboard December 8th. I would like to see is a change in the Guerlain bottle tops, however. Attach them to the bottle, so they don't ricochet around the shower. I have experienced more than one chase. Somehow I feel compelled to put the thing back on the bottle, even if I am throwing it away!

Mary

I'm chuckling in part because I remember this identical conversation on the Crystal board last year, with the same conclusion--it's the water.

So now, let me throw another toiletry cat among the canaries: lotions. I do miss the days when Regent provided Aveda products, primarily because their lotion was unscented. I am sensitive to scents (certain ones can trigger migraines and/or asthma), and thus hate to see scented product. I bring my own lotion, and the L'Occataine that Regent provides is not a problem for me. But I wonder why they provide scented products when viable unscented are available.

I am definitely going to try the bottled water trick on my cruise next week! I've always hated what the ship's water does to my hair, and I bring my own shampoo & conditioner because I need products with no sulfates due to having keratin treatments. Thanks for the tip Caroldoll!

My hair actually did better on the Explorer. Guess it liked the water, shampoo and conditioner.

I think there was a "new" flavor of L'Occitane on the Explorer called "Le Mer" (?).....better than the Verbana, but still not a favorite....maybe I should try their hand soap? A la Irish Spring?....will do a test run at home!

I think there was a "new" flavor of L'Occitane on the Explorer called "Le Mer" (?).....better than the Verbana, but still not a favorite....maybe I should try their hand soap? A la Irish Spring?....will do a test run at home!

It's "Mer & Mistral" I believe.

Having not been on a Regent ship since 2012 (and cruising on Explorer in November), I was able to purchase a set of the L' Occitane Mer & Mistral last month. The shampoo works fine at home but appreciate Caroldoll's suggestion of rinsing in bottle water. The lotion may be an issue with my allergies.

If you try their soap on your hair, we'll smell you as you approach:evilsmile:. Actually, it isn't a bad aroma but isn't my favorite either.

This thread highlights the differences of what people prefer. It took me a couple of years to get used to Hermes (used by Regent until this past year) due to the strong aroma. Once I got used to it and decided that I liked it, it was gone. While I understand that some people want scentless soaps, I prefer mild, pleasant aromas. One has to be careful as you could have your hair aroma conflicting with your deodorant. OTOH, on "our" upcoming Amazon cruise, we'll all smell like "Deet" so it really won't matter.

Looks like I'll be ordering lots of bottled on our upcoming cruise!