Ferry to St George on a holiday (Monday)

Chesneygirl

We will be in Bermuda Sunday - Tuesday over the upcoming Labor Day Weekend.

Our plan was to take the ferry over to St George on Monday until I read that Monday is also a holiday in Bermuda.

Does anyone know if the ferry will be running on that Labor Day Monday holiday?

I haven't seen any announcement about it, and wouldn't expect to until much closer to the date, but usually ferries that primarily service cruisers run to their regular weekday schedules even on a holiday.

I would expect the NCL free ferry to run.

It is not crewed by Bermudian's.

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

I hope you're both right! :)

We will be in Bermuda Sunday - Tuesday over the upcoming Labor Day Weekend.

Our plan was to take the ferry over to St George on Monday until I read that Monday is also a holiday in Bermuda.

Does anyone know if the ferry will be running on that Labor Day Monday holiday?

The public ferry usually runs on holidays but they don't usually announce the schedule for the holiday until a few days ahead of it. I see you are on NCL. NCL runs a free ferry for it's passengers to St. George's. I would expect them to run it on the holiday.

One more question....assuming that the ferry service to St George is available, will the shops and restaurants be open? Will Tobacco Bay be open?

I am going on this sailing. Based on my research, the paid ferries operate on their holiday schedule which is the weekday schedule. Also, many shops will be closed but select restaurants and shops will be open. Tobacco Bay will be open, but could be crowded with locals as well.

That's interesting!

So what happens now if the local union strike's.

I thought Bo Hingy was under NCL contract and not union.

Seems like you have jumped to a lot of conclusions.

It is leased by NCL. I think they would want a Bermudian crew. Might even be required. NCL might have hired the crew directly or contracted the crew out. The crew may or may not be in a union but bringing up possible strikes is preposterous.

Seems like you have jumped to a lot of conclusions.

It is leased by NCL. I think they would want a Bermudian crew. Might even be required. NCL might have hired the crew directly or contracted the crew out. The crew may or may not be in a union but bringing up possible strikes is preposterous.

The crew member that I spoke with ON the ferry came to Bermuda from the Bahamas with the ship.

I remember when things went bad at the Kentucky fried chicken store.

The bus and ferry's stopped working.

I was hopping the NCL Ferry would not be involved with local problem's.

A Bermudian union captain may / could change that.

Edited by biker@sea

The crew member that I spoke with ON the ferry came to Bermuda from the Bahamas with the ship.

I remember when things went bad at the Kentucky fried chicken store.

The bus and ferry's stopped working.

I was hopping the NCL Ferry would not be involved with local problem's.

A Bermudian union captain may / could change that.

The workers at KFC were probably represented by the same union as the bus and ferry workers are, the BIU, or perhaps they were attempting to become unionized and were getting stonewalled by KFC Management. The BIU has often used the tactic of disrupting bus or ferry service when there was an issue elsewhere. They believe that by disrupting other services, particularly essential services like buses and ferries the government or company management will be forced to respond to whatever issue is at hand. Not too many Bermudians or tourists are going to care if KFC workers are on strike, but they definitely care about bus and ferry service.

In fact, NCL contracted with a Bermuda company to operate their ferry and there are a number of Bermudians on the operating crew:

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170516/new-ferry-service-launched

It doesn't surprise me that there may be a Bahamian or two on board as the ferry's owner would want their investment to be kept under the watchful eye of one of their own people.

As this is a short term privately owned and operated cruise season-only service I doubt that the crew is represented by BIU, and I have to believe there is virtually no chance of it being subject to a BIU work action.