Aug. 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

CruiseGal999

Where will everyone be next Monday, 8/21? If you're on a cruise, are there any that will be able to view this .... with the special equipment? Just curious. I'm land locked and not in a very good path. FYI, Motel 6 in Idaho Falls is renting room at $375/night! Motel 6! Best Western is $1,510! Comfort Inn is $910! Gouge 'em while you can! :cool:

Where will everyone be next Monday, 8/21? If you're on a cruise, are there any that will be able to view this .... with the special equipment? Just curious. I'm land locked and not in a very good path. FYI, Motel 6 in Idaho Falls is renting room at $375/night! Motel 6! Best Western is $1,510! Comfort Inn is $910! Gouge 'em while you can! :cool:

We will be home in Utah and will get 94% eclipse - don't see the point of driving up to Idaho for 6% with the amount of traffic & people they are expecting - although I do know a couple that cancelled their Alaska cruise so that they could go to Idaho! I sure hope they don't have a cloudy day like we have here todayclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

We will be on Liberty of the Seas, about 22 hours from Galveston, headed to Roatan. I asked RCI for glasses for our ship since they are "pulling out all the stops" for Oasis' sailing, but they said no. :(

I am renting my balcony cabin;):D

We will be at sea, having left Seattle the day before. I purchased special glasses for the eclipse but I am not sure whether we will stick to our balcony or go up to the top decks. I am hoping for clear skies. However, even if it is cloudy, I think the ship and the ocean is going to look very interesting during this entire event.

Same for hotels in Silver Falls Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be home in Utah and will get 94% eclipse - don't see the point of driving up to Idaho for 6% with the amount of traffic & people they are expecting - although I do know a couple that cancelled their Alaska cruise so that they could go to Idaho! I sure hope they don't have a cloudy day like we have here todayclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I'm in SLC. When I looked, Utah wasn't listed. It didn't say Id Falls was only 6%. LOL. AND the hotels are BOOKED. I know ... we've been getting a lot of summer thunderstorms. I hope your friends have the best circumstances and a great time.

We will be home in Utah and will get 94% eclipse - don't see the point of driving up to Idaho for 6% with the amount of traffic & people they are expecting - although I do know a couple that cancelled their Alaska cruise so that they could go to Idaho! I sure hope they don't have a cloudy day like we have here today:)

I'm told that experiencing the eclipse in totality is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I will be road tripping from Sacramento, CA to Smith's Ferry, ID for this.

Oh yeah, I booked my hotel room a year ago.

I'm in SLC. When I looked, Utah wasn't listed. It didn't say Id Falls was only 6%. LOL. AND the hotels are BOOKED. I know ... we've been getting a lot of summer thunderstorms. I hope your friends have the best circumstances and a great time.

there are charts and maps out there to show how much of the eclipse you can see. Northern Utah is in the mid range of the 90% band. I think the other poster didn't think it was worth it to drive up from UT to ID to get 6% MORE eclipse, not that the eclipse in Idaho Falls would be 6%.

I've checked in a couple from Great Britain the other day. They are on their way up to ID...

I was accidentally lucky to see the 1979 eclipse in Idaho. A bunch of friends planned a ski week to Sun Valley. After all was booked (no gouging then), we found out about the eclipse. One friend worked in aerospace - he brought some of the film that is put on the windows of high-altitude aircraft to shield from the sun. We used that. It was indeed a weird, eery feeling - the shade of the sky, how quiet everything got... It was definitely something never experienced. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. I guess if I really wanted to see a total eclipse again, I could ask for the day off from work and hop in my car and drive a few hours. But, I imagine I-84 and I-15 are going to be parking lots from the UT border on up. I think it would be more fun to hike up to the top of Bald Mt. in the Uintas (IF it was clear) and just see the 90% or so with nothing else around but National Forest and a great mountainscape.

Another caution: if you picked up your viewing glasses from Amazon, they are recalling - they are not the correct protection value. And, if you are in SLC and picked up your viewing glasses from the U's Moran Eye Institute, they have the same issue. Moran will give alternative pairs if you take yours back in...

I'm told that experiencing the eclipse in totality is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I will be road tripping from Sacramento' date=' CA to Smith's Ferry, ID for this.

Oh yeah, I booked my hotel room a year ago.[/quote']

Wow. That's a drive. I won't even drive to ID Falls to see this. Especially with the expected traffic and nowhere to stay. I remember the one in the early 70s when I lived in Boston and my dad then worked at Raytheon and made a device to look through. He was SO into it and it was a really big deal for him.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/ogden

I am thinking that SLC won't be much different to Ogden.

We're having a 100% Total Eclipse.

All the decent hotel rooms in Columbia and near by have be sold out for months.

We're having an Eclipse Tailgate at our house. Whatever the weather, we'll experience the total darkness together and PARTY! :D

Read that some cruise ships in Alaska will have a 60% and parties are being planned on them.