Eclipse on Princess

caribill

Passengers on Alaska cruises can see the partial eclipse per a Princess press release:

Princess Cruises Ships Present Unique Viewing For Great American Eclipse on August 21

Six Cruise Ships in Alaska Offer "Stargazing with Discovery at Sea" Eclipse Viewing Parties

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (August 17, 2017) – For the first time in 99 years, a total eclipse of the sun will pass over the continental United States on August 21, and Princess Cruises guests sailing on six cruise ships in Alaska will be invited to special viewing parties as part of the cruise line's exclusive Stargazing with Discovery at Sea program.

From the top decks in Alaska, nearly 18,000 guests aboard Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Ruby Princess and Star Princess will be invited to enjoy an approximately 54 percent view of the eclipse. Guests will be provided specially-branded Science Channel™/Discovery at Sea eclipse glasses for ultimate viewing, paired with educational background on what causes an eclipse from the exclusive Stargazing with Discovery at Sea staff as they provide a "tour" of three intervals the morning of August 21.

Specialty Eclipse Cookies also will be offered to celebrate this rare occasion.

I won't get to excited about seeing, I just checked the weather for Aug. 21 in Southeast Alaska. Be sure to bring rain gear, it's going to be wet and cloudy next Monday. Good luck seeing the eclipse. I'll watch it from my deck, it's going to be sunny and clear here in Western Washington

I won't get to excited about seeing, I just checked the weather for Aug. 21 in Southeast Alaska. Be sure to bring rain gear, it's going to be wet and cloudy next Monday. Good luck seeing the eclipse. I'll watch it from my deck, it's going to be sunny and clear here in Western Washington

You will see a partial eclipse, but you are not very far from the path of totality. A total eclipse is 'totally' different from a partial and is worth travelling to see. People from all over the world will travel to the US to see the eclipse. I suggest you consider going south to Oregon where you can experience the full beauty of a total eclipse.

You will see a partial eclipse, but you are not very far from the path of totality. A total eclipse is 'totally' different from a partial and is worth travelling to see. People from all over the world will travel to the US to see the eclipse. I suggest you consider going south to Oregon where you can experience the full beauty of a total eclipse.

Aus Traveller, here's the reason we are staying home during the eclipse http://www.theolympian.com/news/article167876287.html

Aus Traveller, here's the reason we are staying home during the eclipse http://www.theolympian.com/news/article167876287.html

Same here! I will be at work here in Vancouver, Wa, where we will experience 99% coverage. Good enough for me. My parents live in Newport, OR, which is one of the hotspots, but chose not to rent out their house for gobs of money. :D

Oh ye of little faith. Was that a forecast by the GIS or European model? You know, if one differs from the other, at least 50% will be wrong. I had a great round of golf today when it was to rain.

Same here! I will be at work here in Vancouver, Wa, where we will experience 99% coverage. Good enough for me. My parents live in Newport, OR, which is one of the hotspots, but chose not to rent out their house for gobs of money. :D

Certainly, have a look at the partial, but even 99% is still partial and you will not experience a lot of the phenomena of a total. You probably already know that you will need eye protection for a partial eclipse (or the preliminary phases of a total eclipse).

The US postal service has issued an eclipse stamp. Depending how warm it is, the stamp will show the total eclipse or change to a view of the moon's surface.

https://www.usps.com/stamps/solar-eclipse.htm

Stamps.png

Now that is neat. I'll be at our main post office on Monday to get mine. :D:cool: